Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

What if Armenians were Muslim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What if Armenians were Muslim?

What if Azar posted something useful on the forum?

“We do not choose to be born. We do not choose our parents. We do not choose our historical epoch, or the country of our birth, or the immediate circumstances of our upbringing. We do not, most of us, choose to die; nor do we choose the time or conditions of our death. But within all this realm of choicelessness, we do choose how we shall live: courageously or in cowardice, honorably or dishonorably, with purpose or adrift. We decide what is important and what is trivial in life. We decide that what makes us significant is either what we do or what we refuse to do. But no matter how indifferent the universe may be to our choices and decisions, these choices and decisions are ours to make. We decide. We choose. And as we decide and choose, so are our lives formed. In the end, forming our own destiny is what ambition is about.” - Joseph Epstein
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

If Armenians were Muslims, Russians would have had no interest in helping protect Armenian statehood. Armenians would have been one of the stateless Muslim nations such as the Kurds, the Laz, etc.

But what if Armenians were all Catholic Christians? Would they have had more sympathy from the West?

Comment

If the Armenians were “Chinese” would we have had support from Peoples Republic of China or from Taiwan?

If the Armenians were followers of voodoo would the Turks not have committed the Genocide?

If Armenia was not a mountainous country would we have been famous for growing oranges?
        Last edited by londontsi; 03-08-2011, 03:22 PM.
        Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
        Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
        Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

I think our religious institutions get much undeserved credit for the preservation of all things armenian. We forget that we armenians were around far longer then christianity or islam. Our hay days were before we adopted christianity as a matter of fact we have been sliding down hill ever since we became christians. This does not necessarily imply a cause and effect relationship but certanly is something that should be looked at. I do not know what azar's intentions are by starting this thread but the question asked is a interesting one. Unlike many here i believe our christianity could be why we lost our statehood and i do not believe had we converted to islam or just stayed peagan we would no longer be armenians. I think many in the diaspora cannot seperate being armenian from being christian because so many of the armenian activities in their communities are centered around the church.
          Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
            I think our religious institutions get much undeserved credit for the preservation of all things armenian. We forget that we armenians were around far longer then christianity or islam. Our hay days were before we adopted christianity as a matter of fact we have been sliding down hill ever since we became christians. This does not necessarily imply a cause and effect relationship but certanly is something that should be looked at. I do not know what azar's intentions are by starting this thread but the question asked is a interesting one. Unlike many here i believe our christianity could be why we lost our statehood and i do not believe had we converted to islam or just stayed peagan we would no longer be armenians. I think many in the diaspora cannot seperate being armenian from being christian because so many of the armenian activities in their communities are centered around the church.
            Armenians that exist today most likely grew up within proximity to an Armenian church as it has always been a part of the community. If it weren't for Armenians keeping their traditions, we would have a lot more assimilated by now. I think the negative impact has been the western form of Christianity which was adopted through gradual attrition. It's different than our Eastern Orthodox form which was directly attacked by the Bolsheviks. Can't dismiss that we were direct targets for being Armenian and our Christian label was only used as a tool.
            "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

I do not know what azar's intentions are by starting this thread but the question asked is a interesting one.
              Considering the nature of the other threads he has started I have no doubt why .....
              I would say, to get Armenians to debate what is valuable to them regards their identity and values etc.
              From your statement below he seems to have succeeded.

I think our religious institutions get much undeserved credit for the preservation of all things armenian.
              We forget that we armenians were around far longer then christianity or islam.

Our hay days were before we adopted christianity as a matter of fact we have been sliding down hill ever since we became christians.
              Very interesting coincidence.
              The same applies with the discovery of the Armenian Alphabet.
              It also coincides with Movses Khorenatsi putting Armenian History to “paper”.
              Also coincides with Hailey's Comet passing over Yerevan.

This does not necessarily imply a cause and effect relationship but certanly is something that should be looked at.
              Since its you great (pseudo)intellectual idea perhaps you should have a look at it.

Unlike many here i believe our christianity could be why we lost our statehood and i do not believe had we converted to islam or just stayed peagan we would no longer be armenians.
              You do not seem to know much about Armenian history nor the broader History of the region.

I think many in the diaspora cannot seperate being armenian from being christian because so many of the armenian activities in their communities are centered around the church.
              Armenians in the diaspora instinctively decide to establish a “Church and a school" before any other "institution",
              because religion and language are inseparable for national identity.
              Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
              Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
              Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

and Armenians are paranoid of assimilating away. We are bulletproof people! just look at Kim Kardashian….no wait, we don't like her right

Originally posted by londontsi View Post
                Considering the nature of the other threads he has started I have no doubt why .....
                Because he is a very beautiful attractive Azeri who is very sensitive and could at any moment burst into tears :confused
                B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

If you do not have anything interesting or constructive to say then perhaps it is best you say nothing at all. We armenians were a nation and a much more powerful one at that under a different religion. So much for religion being inseparable for national identity bs.. Perhaps your the one who should look at history. As for this guy influencing my opinion you can chek out numerous previous threads where i have stated the same views regarding religion long befor the person in question joined this forum.
                  Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

If you do not have anything interesting or constructive to say then perhaps it is best you say nothing at all. We armenians were a nation and a much more powerful one at that under a different religion. So much for religion being inseparable for national identity bs.. Perhaps your the one who should look at history. As for this guy influencing my opinion you can chek out numerous previous threads where i have stated the same views regarding religion long befor the person in question joined this forum.
                    First of all, religion is a civil order. It was due to Armenians rejecting the order that all of their rulers were forcing to impose on them that kept Armenians segregated. This is also why we are naturally rebellious. No matter where we are in the world, we look to beat the system because we refuse to be ruled by others. We play by the rules but always look for schemes to evade taxes and find business opportunities when the odds are stacked against us by the ruling class.

As far as the role the Armenian Church has played in preserving language, culture and literature, I suggest taking a deeper look at its history.

Comment

what if sky was orange?
                      srsly, what if? Birds would freak the hell out...

Comment

Working...
                      X