Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Is YEV a letter?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BARON...

color or colour? i dont know but different schooling preach different spelling...

so we suffer from this... and which is correct? we dont know... so stop this argument... i went to armenian school here and in armenia... and my experiences are from THAT! i had to read Yeghishe Charents in a different way here in the US then in Armenia... but Yeghishe wrote in its original form what you may call in "eastern" armenian... so why the change here in the US? i dont know, i asked the teachers and they told me that it was because the armenians here wont understand the armenian from armenia... and i know it was in lebanon because my dads family fled from Musa Lerr to Lebanon and from there some of them (my father in particular) came to Yerevan and the rest stayed there and are still there... and they TOLD me how it was... they told me that they had to hide being armenian... i am not saying this because of what i read, i say this because my family was directly involved in all of this...

maybe in the 1990s the schools in syria were great, but that wasnt the case before, at the time we were all seperated and our fate as a culture, our language was actually declared as distinct, because after WW1 people thought there were no more armenians left in this world...

edit: please do not threaten other forumers
    Last edited by ckBejug; 09-09-2004, 09:52 PM.

Comment

In Canada it's "colour".

But for Armenians, it goes a bit further than that. As you know, in the mid to late 1800's, two Armenian dialects were "officially" adopted, in Tiflis and Bolis, respectively. Now, first thing that must be done is to recognize that both these dialects, when used properly, are purely Armenian and just as clean.

The problems came later. The Western Armenian provinces had begun to lose the nuances in pronounciation, such as b-pb-p, g-gk-k...and the prominent figures of Arevmdahayeren wrongfully decided to let it be, instead of putting more effort to reteach the proper form.

In Eastern Armenia, which became the ASSR, Stalin's ugly head reared our way, and overnight, it was decided to make Armenian spelling more "simple", by using the "write as it sounds" method. The official reason for this was that it was the first step towards the eventual creation of one Soviet language. An unofficial, yet probable reason was that it widened the gap between those living in Soviet Armenia, and their brothers now spread around the world. It is noteworthy that Hrachya Ajarian, the famed linguist, never ever accepted these changes, and refused to write his last name with a "hi", as the new spelling rules stipulated, and therefore signed all his documents as "Hrachya Ajar." His tombstone is probably the only tombstone in Yerevan where the final "yan" is written with the "yech", and not the "hi".

This new spelling is also a reason why some Armenian schools might decide to not keep works from Armenia as is. Since spelling is already harder due to the letters that sound alike, it would be even more complicated to introduce the Soviet spelling also, which is, let's all admit, flawed.

In our case however, we kept the texts in Arevelahayeren, but written in the original Armenian spelling.

Comment

baron, that is what the diaspora has "accepted" the explaination to be... no one not stalin no one can change the armenians and their language... just ask people from ARMENIA, there is no trace of that MORON... stalin never had influence in armenia, actually he did when he decided to give parts of armenia to georgia and azerbejan... THAT F#CK! ... people HATE HIM armenian people 90% of them that is in armenia HATED anything to do with soviet and never accepted the comunizm... armenians still had churches when everyone one else was had their churches taken down and distroyed... armenians did not do this "write as it sounds thing" it was the ACCEPTED and historically accepted way of writing, speaking and reading... for that matter the way to speak in armenia around yerevan, lori, dilijan, nakhichevan, etc...

i know that this is different from what you may know, or from what were told, but as you remember what i said in a previous post, it was that people outside of armenia could not outright support or have connection with armenia because it was in the soviet union, and we were in a cold war...
        so mayeb thats why you think we were influenced by stalin... THAT COULDNT BE FURTHER fromt he TRUTH! how anyone say that, i can even say that about the most infomously hated person in the world now (osama)...

let alone armenians... they were not stupid... they are not stupid and they are not going to let some Idiot with a CAPITAL I influence them...

i went to armenia this june and i have relatives there that live in gyumri, a village... and the people that live there i was realy surprised at how smart they are... they were clearly aware of bush's actions and they hated him for it... my oldest uncle said "if this idiot continues this we are all going to die" and so i got into a converstation with him and i found out that the simplest people in this world that live in villages that milk their cows and make their own butter an sour cream know more about society, civil liberties, freedom, ideology then the fools who live here in the metropolitan cities of the "richest country in the world"

and so that is our armenian public and please dont ever think that they were ever sweyed... WE, THEY, US have an unfortunate past thats all...

we were not stupid, to be influenced by stalin... OHH PELASE! oh my god help us if anyone has ever believe that FOOL!

Comment

Ok, lets all settle down, shall we? Starky, some people around here cannot appreciate your form of humor so please tone it down so as not to offend the easily offended parties. Nunechka please do refrain from using profanity to get your point across. We understand you're both trying to convince eachother something. Let's try to be more civil about it.

YEV is not a letter. In fact, nunechka, you have not been really reading anything we're telling you. Let's go for a simple fact. Yev means AND. It has a definition. How many letters do you know have a definition? Sheesh. Think about it! YEV means AND. YEV is a combination of two letters, no matter what you were taught.
          The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

like i said, how many words contain the supposed letter "yev"....yev= and, yevayln = and so on (dedicated to baron), yev voret khoteh = and stick it up your as$....see a trend?

now stop the freakin' insanity and find a hobby!!!

YOU'RE FIRED!!!!

Comment

Well I guess this has gone far enough...

In other words....

Originally posted by Emil
              Last edited by ckBejug; 09-09-2004, 10:07 PM.
              The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

Working...
              X