Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian Slang & Idioms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nunechka
    you two are nothing more then pathetic loosers as far as i am concerned... considering the fact that you have done nothing but put me down for accepting my armenian and loving my language...
    Oh, is that all you did? Did you forget calling Western Armenian a "village dialect" and stating that the grammar used by Western Armenian appeared from the air. With ideas like that, I'm surprised you were able to have WA friends without disrespecting their dialect.

Originally posted by nunechka
    in armenia there are MANY! accents and dialects, but in school we are taught armenian the proper way... there is no such thing as soviet spelling or whatever that means... you can say it as much as you want, it is because of ignorance why this type of thinking still goes on...
    You've said this many times now, and not one shred of support for your thesis that there is no such thing as Soviet spelling.

anywho, i wrote that post as a "shaking hands" post, but that is not good enough for the BIG headed WA che-ka and diar....
    If that was truly a "shaking hands" post, I would have responded much differently.

I will never back down and give into any of your BS, i think that armenians that do that are stupid, they are missing the point, that a dialect can be very different from the actual literary language, and for example i have a Yerevantsi accent... and another person from my family who is not from Yerevan, does not speak the same way, but we were all taught the same thing in school...

the reason why, for example, i can understand all of WA writing and speaking, etc... is because we were taught all of armenian not just one part... the Armenian that is taught in Armenia is full and complete, I have the best of both worlds because my education didnt limit me like yours did. like you said "i never heard EA until i was invited to a friends b-party", etc...

so what, i had never heard it either, but i didnt have a problem switching to what i was taught in school in armenia to help me understand... that is the DIFFERENCE between WA schools and EA schools... do you see my point?

EA - teach ALL
    WA - teach only WA
    ONCE AGAIN, you have completely disregarded my points. Armenian schools in Armenia exist in an Armenian atmosphere, where the language is alive and thriving, with various thriving dialects, etc. (Western) Armenian schools in the Diaspora exist in a foreign atmosphere, where the language -- for all intents and purposes -- is either stagnant or dying. There are no living dialects of Western Armenian. Everybody speaks and learns ONE standard dialect. What you learn in school is also what you hear at home which is what you read in the newspaper and in books. You do not hear any other dialect, ever -- unless you have the opportunity to hear an old dialect that your grandparent might remember. Nobody in my family, whether they live in the US, France, or Syria speaks any differently than I do. Why? Because, with the exception of the slightly different Bolsahay dialect and the 3000 people in Anjar, Lebanon who have kept their native dialect, there is only one way to speak Western Armenian today. Do you see the difference now?

It has nothing to do with what we were taught in school. For the millionth time, half of our time in Armenian class was spent reading Eastern Armenian literature. It's easy to understand it when you read it. But when you have never heard the dialect -- and more importantly, when you haven't ever heard ANYONE speak Armenian in any other way than the standard Western Armenian, then ANY OTHER DIALECT will sound weird and be difficult to understand. Even back in high school, when we read it, I understood all of the EA literature perfectly fine, but when I heard it -- it was like another language. But for Armenians in Armenia, where you are used to hearing Armenian spoken in various different ways, Western Armenian becomes just another one of these various dialects.

In my most civil tone, do you see where I am coming from? I honestly just want to know whether you understand what I am saying. Because honestly, with no offense, I honestly don't think Armenians from Armenia truly understand the difference between being Armenian in Armenia and being Armenian in the Diaspora.

anywho, like i said, i tried to compile your posts, and you did say it, it was either your first response or your second response... i am not going to do it because i have a life... it was taking too long, everything was too important to cut out, and the post would've been a whole page long...
    I'm asking for one quote.

another pattern that i have notice from che-ka posts is that in almost every one of your posts, you have gone back and edited your post... what is it my dear, what are you afraid of saying to me? PM me about it... tell me what it is...
    That's right. I correct spelling errors, grammatical errors, I try to make my points clearer, and I try to revise my harsher statements.

Comment

• Jans...Asddzo sirooyn, toon kezi mi hoknetsner.

As khosagtsootenen boghos bedros cheller. (haha, shad khoshis goo ka ad mege).

Im kich arachva kradz asatsvadzk-s garta, ou mortsir sa pane...

Comment

• okay lets see if I can do this...

Che ka: herik e, mi sharoonakergor...

Nune: ara cheberzar?

Comment

• Originally posted by CatWoman
          okay lets see if I can do this...

Che ka: herik e, mi sharoonakergor...

Herik e, mi sharoonager.

The gor is unnecessary here. Well, it's unnecessary everywhere, but you get my point.

Comment

• i am a girl... catwoman

Comment

• Originally posted by Che_Ka
              Oh, is that all you did? Did you forget calling Western Armenian a "village dialect" and stating that the grammar used by Western Armenian appeared from the air. With ideas like that, I'm surprised you were able to have WA friends without disrespecting their dialect.
              and did you forget that you called Eastern Armenian soviet armenian?

Originally posted by Che_Ka
              You've said this many times now, and not one shred of support for your thesis that there is no such thing as Soviet spelling.
              apparently you are still on your tranqualizer... thats ok my dear... you have no support for it being a soviet anything, all those websites were poltical tools for brainwashing you... all political nothing factual...

If that was truly a "shaking hands" post, I would have responded much differently.
              ya it was, the fact that i said that we have ruined this thread with this nonsense (and i did say that in the very beginnning of this argrument, immidiately after you told me that you were ready for a "war" with me.

ONCE AGAIN, you have completely disregarded my points. Armenian schools in Armenia exist in an Armenian atmosphere, where the language is alive and thriving, with various thriving dialects, etc. (Western) Armenian schools in the Diaspora exist in a foreign atmosphere, where the language -- for all intents and purposes -- is either stagnant or dying. There are no living dialects of Western Armenian. Everybody speaks and learns ONE standard dialect. What you learn in school is also what you hear at home which is what you read in the newspaper and in books. You do not hear any other dialect, ever -- unless you have the opportunity to hear an old dialect that your grandparent might remember. Nobody in my family, whether they live in the US, France, or Syria speaks any differently than I do. Why? Because, with the exception of the slightly different Bolsahay dialect and the 3000 people in Anjar, Lebanon who have kept their native dialect, there is only one way to speak Western Armenian today. Do you see the difference now? It has nothing to do with what we were taught in school. For the millionth time, half of our time in Armenian class was spent reading Eastern Armenian literature. It's easy to understand it when you read it. But when you have never heard the dialect -- and more importantly, when you haven't ever heard ANYONE speak Armenian in any other way than the standard Western Armenian, then ANY OTHER DIALECT will sound weird and be difficult to understand. Even back in high school, when we read it, I understood all of the EA literature perfectly fine, but when I heard it -- it was like another language. But for Armenians in Armenia, where you are used to hearing Armenian spoken in various different ways, Western Armenian becomes just another one of these various dialects.
              once again you have missed my point... why is it that you cannot read my post? you are telling me that the reason why people dont hear the EA dialect is because there is no one that speaks it. OK i got that the first time, my response to that is that IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT THE DIALECT IS! IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT THE ACCENT IS! THE SCHOOLS IN ARMENIA! TEACH ALL OF IT!, the problem isnt your accent or your dialect, its the fact that if you were schooled in armenia you would understnad all types of armenian, while being schooled in WA school in the US you dont, EVEN THOUGHT THERE IS THE OPPORTUNITY for you do be schooled in proper full and complete armenian, the WA stuborn schools and POLITICIANS do not allow it... i know why, do you? i know why they dont like the government of armenia, I DONT LIKE THEM EITHER! but i am not going to deprive myself of ARMENIAN! LANGUAGE! because my political beliefs direct me in a different direciton... dont you understnad that after the Severs trial the political parties in armenia and the diaspora didnt like each other because they screwed each other areses and ever since then the WA diaspora has had an indirect mission to prove that we dont exist, that we are not armenian enough, so you OVER claim your armenianness as if we were not descendents of survivers too, as if we didnt have to face turmoil... you are really SLOW! on the uptake here... AGAIN! my dear we didnt cover our eyes in ARMENIA! on the WA dialect thats why it isnt strange or foreign to us, but you did. WA did it. thats why even TODAY! when you know this exists now you all make up sh!t about how its inauthentic or incompelte or not original... WHATEVER!

In my most civil tone, do you see where I am coming from? I honestly just want to know whether you understand what I am saying. Because honestly, with no offense, I honestly don't think Armenians from Armenia truly understand the difference between being Armenian in Armenia and being Armenian in the Diaspora.
              that is no excuse for taking our literature and "translating" it... do you understand that? i dont care about that particular point you keep saying, because i can tell you i know personally how it feels to be an armenian not living in armenia, guess where i've lived for the past 14 years? not in armenia! you dont seem to understand that I HAVE NEVER SAID ANYTHING AGAINST THAT! nor have i implied that in any shape or form, relax ok? MY WHOLE POINT! has been about the school systems AND since you decided to insult my language I HAVE DEFENDED myself...

I'm asking for one quote.
              ok here it is
              Why do we overclaim our Armenianness? WHY DO WE OVERCLAIM OUR ARMENIANNESS?! Um, hello?! Every single “Beirutsi Armenian” is a descendant of a Genocide survivor. And unlike Genocide descendants who were part of the Nerkaght Movement, none of the “Beirutsi Armenians” ever moved back somewhere that is called Armenia. They never again lived somewhere where the daily language was Armenian. EVERY DAY they have had to deal with assimilation. EVERY DAY they have had to live amongst odars. But, oh, inch meghk kordzer enk menk chankernis tapelov menk mer azkuh, mer lezoon, mer mshagoutyuh bahelou. Amot kezi.

The overwhelming majority of Western Armenians have little to no connection to the Eastern dialect.

THESE ARE THE REASONS WHY IT IS SO DIFFICULT FOR ‘US’ TO UNDERSTAND ‘YOU’ YET MUCH EASIER FOR ‘YOU’ TO UNDERSTAND ‘US.’

I don’t condone or understand making fun of Eastern Armenian.

Our Armenian teachers were, and continue to be, experts in the language. How dare you question their intelligence. Instead of appreciating the fact that they have dedicated their lives to teaching our precious language to a new Diaspora generation, you post such vile words. I can’t say it enough: amot kezi.

Now go educate yourself.
              #1: by say amot indz, you are implying that i have no respect for the descendents of the survivers of the GENOCIDE! how dare you make such an inflamatory remark, I NEVER SAID ANYTHING LIKE THAT! and then after i replied to you about how we are in the same situation, i am a descendent too, you reply "i know that" then why did you say that in the first place as if that is the difference between WA and EA.

#2: NOW YOU ALL DO have connections and everyhitng else with ARMENIA! so why dont YOU all get off your high horses... now that you know that there is something else why aren't the schools teaching properly??? hmmm, me thinks its another political tool...

#3: OUR ARMENIAN! TEACERS were, and continue to be, experts in the language. How dare YOU! question their intelligence. Instead of appreciating the fact that they have dedicated their lives to teaching our precious language to US!, YOU! post such vile words. I can’t say it enough: amotu KEZIEH!

That's right. I correct spelling errors, grammatical errors, I try to make my points clearer, and I try to revise my harsher statements.
              so NOW you decided to say that? and in about a day or two you will say "post it, i just want one post, prove it to me"

Comment

• and what about all the wonderful additions i have made to the idiom and slang list? those are not good enough to be on this thread considering the fact that i speak soviet armenian...

thank you thank you!

SHNORHAGALEM!

Comment

• diar - i thought it was "shoone k'hache kamin k'tane" or "shoone hachats kamin tarav"

i dont know which one... maybe we in EA didnt have karavans... lol!

Comment

• I still don't understand how someone can completely miss a point after 12 pages.

And no one speaks Soviet Armenian, and we never implied that. There was, however, a new spelling devised in Soviet times (1920s), which was opposed by many EASTERN ARMENIAN linguists (and I have to say this once again: including Hrachya Ajarian, the best of them all). So this is not Western Armenians bashing Eastern Armenians. This is merely pointing out something that happened, and that had many negative impacts. If we were only pre-occupied with bashing Eastern Armenian (for God knows what reason), we wouldn't be so adamant in pointing out the pronounciation mistakes that have been naturalized in Western Armenian.

This is not "us" versus "them". We're all us anyways.

Comment

• Wow.

I can't bring myself to explain myself once again. How many times can somebody completely miss a point? After it has been basically chewed up into its various elements and force-fed to you. Quite fascinating, really.

Furthermore, in addition to your complete lack of critical reasoning and reading skills, you now illustrate your beliefs in crazy conspiracy theories. Excellent.

With that, I am done. As much as I want to refute the "points" in your latest post, I don't have the patience to write up a whole new post, only to have it misread by the likes of you. Come back to me when you've taken a course in reading comprehension.

Comment

Working...
                      X