Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

"White People"

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hyebruin
    wow, how sweet!

it's interesting how you keep bringing up this notion of armenians not being white...the people who think that greeks, armenians, italians...etc are black have the same kind of ignorant and intolerant mentality as the toothless hicks do in the south and in rural areas who think that all blacks, asians, hispanics, and other minorities are 2nd class citizens! and believe me!! there still ARE people like this running around consuming our oxygen and polluting the air with CO2
    Karine, my faith in you has been restored!

Comment

Originally posted by ArmoBarbi
      Karine, my faith in you has been restored!
      i never knew it was lost maybe you misperceived where i stand on things

Comment

Originally posted by hyebruin
        i never knew it was lost maybe you misperceived where i stand on things

I suppose I did. Forgive me lol

Comment

I find it funny that certain Armenians claim that when other Armenians express issues/doubt/examples of others claiming that Armenians are not "white" or that some of us don't identify with being "white" that somehow we are self-haters...as if being "white" automatically has the connotation of superior or such...absurd.

Again - Albinos and Micheal Jackson are "white" - everyone else is just pretending. It is not a differentiator that really has any meaning. And Armenains are clearly not "European" (regardless of some claiming that anything east o=f the Urals...no doesn't cut it - Armenians have never been European culturaly...once again its the Lavash baby!)

So - we are categorized as Caucasian - OK - but what does this really mean - its a somewhat arbitrary distinction IMO (and in most anthropoligists' opinion)...again line em up - and I think you would much more easily pick out Armenians from a line up of other Caucasians then you could from a linup of semites or what have you...and again - this focuses on physical characteristics only anyway...but what really matters more is culture....and our culture is - like all - a blend of differening amounts of the cultures around us synthesized into what it is (and even then - as Armenians have been in somewhat Diaspora status for some time - even "Armenian culture" is no one thing)....so where does that leave us? Well - we are Armenians....this is what binds us - what we identify with - and what distinguishes us...not weather we are "white" or European or what have you. I see things just the opposite to those who attempt to claim so stridently that we are "white" and european...it is you who seem insecure and in need of identifying us with something that we are not to make yourselves feel better. Those of us who realise that we are a mix - and that we are more like others of the Levant than of Europe - that we are the ones accepting of our nature and culture...and not the other way around...
          Last edited by winoman; 03-06-2005, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
            Oh no you mentioned stormfront. How could you? Nunechka might have an aneurism now.
            BTW - I occasionaly monitor this site and some other similar ones - I have seen numerous instances where Armenians were heaped with abuse and were racially taunted and called camel-jockys or similar from these stormfront and other Aryan racist types...so good luck with fitting in with your new found buddies...

Comment

Originally posted by winoman
              I find it funny that certain Armenians claim that when other Armenians express issues/doubt/examples of others claiming that Armenians are not "white" or that some of us don't identify with being "white" that somehow we are self-haters...as if being "white" automatically has the connotation of superior or such...absurd.

Again - Albinos and Micheal Jackson are "white" - everyone else is just pretending. It is not a differentiator that really has any meaning. And Armenains are clearly not "European" (regardless of some claiming that anything east o=f the Urals...no doesn't cut it - Armenians have never been European culturaly...once again its the Lavash baby!)

So - we are categorized as Caucasian - OK - but what does this really mean - its a somewhat arbitrary distinction IMO (and in most anthropoligists' opinion)...again line em up - and I think you would much more easily pick out Armenians from a line up of other Caucasians then you could from a linup of semites or what have you...and again - this focuses on physical characteristics only anyway...but what really matters more is culture....and our culture is - like all - a blend of differening amounts of the cultures around us synthesized into what it is (and even then - as Armenians have been in somewhat Diaspora status for some time - even "Armenian culture" is no one thing)....so where does that leave us? Well - we are Armenians....this is what binds us - what we identify with - and what distinguishes us...not weather we are "white" or European or what have you. I see things just the opposite to those who attempt to claim so stridently that we are "white" and european...it is you who seem insecure and in need of identifying us with something that we are not to make yourselves feel better. Those of us who realise that we are a mix - and that we are more like others of the Levant than of Europe - that we are the ones accepting of our nature and culture...and not the other way around...
              Doesnt cut it? What part of "geographers agree" dont you understand? West of Ural Mts is Europe. Argue about our "culture" and lavash all you want lol its simply not up for your approval. Where did you go to school if you dont mind??

Comment

Originally posted by ArmoBarbi
                Doesnt cut it? What part of "geographers agree" dont you understand? West of Ural Mts is Europe. Argue about our "culture" and lavash all you want lol its simply not up for your approval. Where did you go to school if you dont mind??
                Again - its about culture - not stricly geogrophy. You don't consider Chechens European do you?

Oh and I started attending Johns Hopkins University for Anthropology when I was 14 years old...graduated at 18...

Comment

Darn it!!! I typed a post and it didnt work!!! I hate it when that happens....

You learned this at John Hopkins?? I dont know enough about Chechens to consider them anything but Chechens. I do know that there is such a thing as migration, and there are people in the Caucusus who have Asian origins. I also know that Armenians are not one of these people. If we migrated from either side - it was the west side.

Plus, I tend to go by the official groups established by the professionals. Not one of these professionals (from what I see) will put Armenians in the Semitic or Altaic or even Caucasian group over Indo-European.

If you have a different official grouping you wish to show me, I will gladly look.

Comment

My "claim" is one that is largely accepted by Anthropologists today (though not without some dissent - much as there exists differences of opinion regarding the degree of biological verus cultural determinism etc) - and this claim is - that racial categorization is not scientifically valid - but has been used primarily as a mechanism for making certain top level distinctions - and when these are fully put to the test one finds that genetic commonalities tend to be much more prevelent in assocated (by geography) populations - regardless of more commonly identifiable racial facial/skin/hair etc characteristics. So its primarily been a matter of convenience to make such groupings when in fact there are greater differences for example between pygmies and Masai then between Armenians and Turks (or Chechens or whomever...geogrphically close but not normally thought of as the same racially...) for instance.

And the issue of European vesus Asian or what have you - here geography alone is not the determinor - but culture. And again - lines are not so cleanly drawn. Does Armenian culture (again what is "pure" here...? if one dan even ever ID such) - does it share elements with what is accepted as European culture - certainly some things yes...but it certainly shares much more with Persian culture for instance - just in the way we live - and what we eat is a very central part of this...but other things as well - our dances, how and what we celbrate, family relationships (and specifically courting practices and marraige rituals...etc) - etc etc - these are what make us. But any examination of what Armenains "are" must consider the Diaspora influences and the dispersion of Armenain communities throughout (primarily) Anatolia and the Middle East and consider these various impacts as well...

Comment

• Originally posted by ArmoBarbi
                      Not one of these professionals (from what I see) will put Armenians in the Semitic or Altaic or even Caucasian group over Indo-European.

If you have a different official grouping you wish to show me, I will gladly look.
                      Here you are talking language I believe - and for the most part you are correct (and I really don't claim expertise on Armenian language or otherwise really to be honest) - but my understanding is that Armenian is generally considered as one of the base/early? Indo-European languages (a very large & diverse family with some common roots & characteristics) that is in many ways not closely related to most others and that there is sometimes some dispute if Armenian is properly placed.

Anyway - language - as very important as it is...tells us perhaps much about where we originated culturally...but not necissarily where we came out of (racially? - ?) before such and not so much how our culture as evolved since (though words added to the root language will give some clues concerning subsequant influences...)

I will caveat - I have a degree in Anthropology - and studied it and other related subjects...and I keep up - to a certain degree - but do not work in the field or practice it per se - so there are plenty of others who can actually provide more specifically informed viewpoints on these matters. I do feel that I am fairly on concerning the general concepts (and trends of accepted knowledge/views) and such however.

Comment

Working...
                      X