Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Us and the Country

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Us and the Country

No, the same Ara who has translated some of our best authors who you wish to ignore.

Comment

Originally posted by tunot
      Also, an Armenian like yourself, who has only just begun to grow pubic hair, should watch his mouth a little. Ara could be your great-grandfather, and he has seen more among Armenians than you ever will unless you decide to open your eyes and get to know our culture a bit.
      Were those words supposed to smite me?

I don't care if Ara could be my great-grandfather. Respect is earned. It is not freely handed to people, and certainly not to those who encourage what he does. He translated Armenian authors, great! I am thankful for him in those efforts, but what does that have to do with what he supports? He can translate a thousand Armenian authors and go and build a Church in Armenia as far as I am concerned, but once he supports what he does, I don't care for him.
      Last edited by Anonymouse; 06-17-2006, 12:23 PM.
      Achkerov kute.

Comment

I'd rather not be respected, than put on a pedestal by vermin.

Comment

After all this talk of Ara Baliozian, I went out and bought one of his books a few days ago. I was impressed by his candor and his willingness to question Armenian authority.

Instead of just giving up, it would be more productive to get involved and question the varchootouns of our Armenian organizations. Ara Baliozian wrote that writers are unable to question or criticize Armenian organizations because they are the ones that are getting the grants from those organizations. Non-writers and the general Armenian public have all the freedom to actually make a change in these organizations. Hopefully with a little more assimilation, the next generation will have a more modern way of dealing with its community.

Comment

"More assimilated" was the wrong word to use. What I should of said was more western thinking. I am very curious to see if our future leaders of our community organizations are going to be the smart educated kids that care about our culture or it will remain the the uneducated abrasive leaders we have now. I certainly don't think that all of our commuity leaders are uneducated and abrasive. It's just that the "raffi pan-choonee's" are easy to spot.

I don't want you to think that my only goal is to recruit 1/2 and 1/4 Armenians. There are a lot of things I'm passionate about. I even respect Armenian for her passion and dedication. If everyone works together at collectively raisng the bar for our people, we would be able to achieve more. It is very counter-productive to judge others on based on what one might think is right or wrong.

Speaking of 1/2 Armenians, a documentary is coming out tomorrow on Ryan Long(NFL football player who is half Armenian). He was contacted and drawn back to the Armenian community. The video shows him going to Armenia to bapize his daughter. He also meets and speaks with the PM of Armenia. This is a success story for not only him but the Armenian community.

Comment

Originally posted by simonig
              It's just that the "raffi pan-choonee's" are easy to spot.
              You mean Yervant Odian's panchoonies.

Our community is run on funds and donations. That is the first thing that needs to change and the rest will come by itself.

Thank you, in any case, for buying one of Ara's books. Unfortunately, not much of the revenue, if any at all, will go to him. All of our publishing houses in the diaspora have gone bankrupt for the obvious reason (we're not readers). Time and again that I have been in Armenian bookstores in Glendale, I have been the sole customer. My father will be able to tell you more about it, seen as he has been in them even more often than I have, and usually for me.

May I ask which book you bought by Ara?

Comment

I bought two books. The one by Ara Baliozian is called "Intimate talk." I really enjoyed it. It felt as though he was speaking directly to me. It was very refreshing to read something so different from our standard Armenian literature. Thanks for introducing to his works.

Comment

It felt as though he was speaking directly to me...
                  You find his self-hating rhetoric and verbal gymnastics appealing? That says a lot about "your" personal issues. Please leave us Armenians alone. You, tunot and Ara should get together and form a new nation, we are simply not good enough for your intellects
                  Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Fortunately not all Armenians are like sheep. Those type of people are called Kurds. Armenians are able to think outside the box and thats why we are so successful in the business world. Unfortunately it poses a problem when we are required to work together. We are too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

Armenian, I honestly respect your dedication and your strong Armenian passion. Granted you may be well versed in Armenian affairs but you can not bully me or anyone else into your hard line nationalistic(militaristic) point of view. If it makes you feel better about your sense of being Armenian, then more power to you(I don't mean that sarcasticly).

Comment

Granted you may be well versed in Armenian affairs
                      If he was well-versed in Armenian affairs, he would be talking like Ara, Zarian, Raffi, Odian, and Baronian, to name just a few. He's nothing more than one of so many vermins crawling among us, and like all vermin, he is better off crushed.

Comment

Working...
                      X