Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Diaspora: Does it have a future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Diaspora: Does it have a future?

If you search these forums you can find many of my posts which pretty much say that the diaspora is like an 85-year-old heart, pumping and gasping for its last breaths. It is a mirage and eventually will subside.

However, is Armenia, or Armenians at that, suited for a war to retake lands? In my opinion, such actions are short-sighted, foolish and suicidal. Retaking lands that have been gone are a pipe dream. If you cannot see this, please ask and I shall get into many specifics.
    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip
      To me, all this fronting about lands and countries and cultures is a lot like people getting all dressed up and cheering on some college or proffessional team. In the end, I really couldn't care less who "wins" because as history has shown, ALL cultures, countries, and peoples are temporary.

The "delusion" is in believing that it is even possible to prevent cultural or "ethnic" change. "Pure" and "Dirty" water? That entire notion is a delusion.
      Ethnic change is not the same as extinction. No ethnicity has survived? What about the Greeks?

Nobodies trying to prevent ethnic change - cultural evolution is healthy - but what is happening to us is not natural evolution out of our own will and national spirit - it is the side effect of the Genocide and the other misfortunes of the Armenian people.

Comment

I think we're much to smart to go to war with Turkey right now.I give it a zero percent chance that it would happen any time soon. We would not only be fighting Turkey but also the Kurds. The people inhabbiting our historic lands are not the smartest people in the world. They are also very poor. They would fight in a heart beat.

I think it's completely realistic that their will be a civil war in Anatolia between the Turks and Kurds. After they're done killing eachother, the international community will have to step in and create a mandate which would partition off the lands in question. We could reclaim our lands without hardly spilling any Armenian blood. It is just a matter of the Kurds being instigated to fight Turkey.

This is how most of the wars in the world are faught. Smart countries rarely go to war with eachother. They instigate dumb countries and create conlfict to have their battles faught for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
          However, is Armenia, or Armenians at that, suited for a war to retake lands? In my opinion, such actions are short-sighted, foolish and suicidal. Retaking lands that have been gone are a pipe dream. If you cannot see this, please ask and I shall get into many specifics.
          It is at the moment - but it might not be in the future.

People thought an independent Armenia was a pipe dream during the mid-Soviet eras...look what happened. People thought the Karabagh war movement was a pipe dream and they wouldn't win - look what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by ace
            It is at the moment - but it might not be in the future.

People thought an independent Armenia was a pipe dream during the mid-Soviet eras...look what happened. People thought the Karabagh war movement was a pipe dream and they wouldn't win - look what happened.
            I agree that political climates change over the years. However, I wouldn't support losing thousands of Armenian lives on the battlefield when we are in a much better postion to influence nations around the world politically.

Our diaspora is our greatest national resource. Our population is among the smallest. We have to use our strength rather than our weakness.

Comment

Why is it every time someone talks of land restitution there are alway crackheads babbling about some all out war in the now. The whole point is to have a strategic objective with no particular time frame and implementing plans that set the stage for potential tactical opportunities which would score advances towards that strategic objective. In this case, Artsakh, the diaspora, Armenia, regional strategic partnersips, gas and oil interests, Kurds, regional ethnic and national interests, etc... are all pieces in play.

Comment

Originally posted by ace
                And the Diaspora has a brilliant future.

Brilliant? How so? By the current assimilation rate? And by some Armenians’ indifference?
                The Diaspora is like a dead end. At this time we are being helpful but what about in 50 years time? With people who are being assimilated as fast as Turks are breeding...
                (I was talking to a friend of mine last week about the latest on the AG, and she says to me: “herika, haryur dari chenk khosalu masin” I got shocked and disgusted, and there are many people in the Diaspora with the same mentality.)

It’s good to see Diasporans settled in Armenia and how they are contributing to the country financially and intellectually, however they should interact more with hayastantis and get out of their ghettos. And for the future, I am planning to live in Armenia six months of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by simonig
                  I think it's completely realistic that their will be a civil war in Anatolia between the Turks and Kurds. After they're done killing eachother, the international community will have to step in and create a mandate which would partition off the lands in question. We could reclaim our lands without hardly spilling any Armenian blood. It is just a matter of the Kurds being instigated to fight Turkey.

I'd live to see the day.
                  Even with Artsakh, noone believed we could get it back after decades, but we did.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucin
                    (I was talking to a friend of mine last week about the latest on the AG, and she says to me: “herika, haryur dari chenk khosalu masin” I got shocked and disgusted, and there are many people in the Diaspora with the same mentality.)
                    You are shocked and disgusted at what exactly? The fact that some people might think there are more important issues to talk about than "Genocide Recognition"?

I pretty much agree with Skhara's post .. but maybe in a slightly different context. To me, it's less about race and ethnicity and more about collective bargaining. Now what the specific role of the "Diaspora" is in that bargaining process, I don't know but I think that is the main topic of this thread.
                    Last edited by Sip; 02-03-2007, 11:17 AM.
                    this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucin
                      I could be wrong but it seems to me that those who have lived in the diaspora for a while are the ones who had their family member killed in the AG. Those who have recently migrated to the U.S. are typically from Armenia. The Armenians from Soviet Armenia did not have as many family members killed or property taken from them in the AG. This is just a generalization and no knock on hayastanci's. I just think both sides have different priorities.

I would put the horrific murders of my family during the AG as my highest priority. Others who weren't as directly effected and grew up within Armenia may be more concerned with the economic development of Armenia.

Comment

Working...
                      X