Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Diaspora: Does it have a future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Diaspora: Does it have a future?

Mathematically speaking, sometimes when trying to get to the global optimum of a function, you end up stuck at local optima ... doing a "backwards jump" to some other point in the funciton might allow one to get unstuck and make moves towards the global optimum.
    Here we are somewhat converging towards a global minimum. And the process is not exactly random. Without interference from the outside, we might indeed get stuck.
    "Maximizing its own utility"... I really can't stand such materialistic/utilitarian verbiage.

A last note on the previous topic, here is a telling anecdote:

In the second volume of his book "Two hundred years together", speaking of a pan-russian conference held by the Bund (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General...h_Labor_Union), Alexander I. Solzhenitsyn quotes from an issue of Izvestia, month of april 1917:

"When all the orators were done with their speech, all conference attendees sang the anthem of the Bund, Di Shvoue, the Internationale and la Marseillaise"

Comment

Originally posted by axel
      "Maximizing its own utility"... I really can't stand such materialistic/utilitarian verbiage.
      Then I assume you really hated your econ classes

About the rest, yes indeed we might get stuck. The point was the "melting" is not necessarily a bad thing as just as well, we might not get stuck (especially if we are intelligent about the way we proceed after the melting).

Wow this might just be my most metaphoric participation in any thread ever!
      Last edited by Sip; 02-07-2007, 09:43 AM.
      this post = teh win.

Comment

Very true. In fact, if you were a native speaker, you would have noticed how degraded the language has become. People no longer speak french but some sort of newspeak derived from it (this goes for the candidates to the presidency too). Probably the result of being continuously fed with debilitating dubbed american series, movies & shows (the latter are not dubbed, only the concept is reused) which contributes to complete spiritual leveling.
        You don’t need to be a native French speaker to understand that butchered French. But this seems to be Paris’s problem, as being hugely populated by foreigners.

Want to learn more about contemporary "France", where it is heading, whose hands its destiny lies inside?
        Go to: http://www.crif.org

These are just a few aspects of the question, very roughly sketched.
        Clearly one cannot address such a question in a few sentences on a public board and I am not willing to discuss this any further for you don't seem to know anything about the subject at hand.
        Moreover, this has nothing to do with the original topic and I wouldn't want to be trialed for expressing my views on a topic of so little interest.

Contrary to your assumption, to a degree I am and was aware of all the correct things you mentioned in today’s France’s political life. But I was just considering the French individuals and not what happens on the dirty political scale. Anyway…

The question is that an average French is constantly whining about Arabs taking over their country and thinks their major problem stems from them but seems to be completely blind not to see a minority (j.ews) taking over his/her country on the political and economical scale, (what is “interesting” is that the other two candidates, Kahn and Fabius, were also joos). My guess is there may be a movement (in the future) in the French (I’d rather call it exhausted than dead) society; the educated real French doesn’t seem to be happy with this mess. The sudden rise and popularity of Jean-Marie Le Pen could be a proof to that.
        Also, I believe that we can’t fully compare the American society with the French one; the French one as opposed to the American has always existed, there has been a French identity, and there is still something there, a minimum base, which could blow one day.

I wonder why this J.ew(Sarko) is so anti-Turkish? It seems a bit strange, and contradictory. One might think that even Devedjian’s efforts for the recognition of the AG and the recent bill had some “other” purposes, even though he is Armenian.

Comment

A last note on the previous topic, here is a telling anecdote:

In the second volume of his book "Two hundred years together", speaking of a pan-russian conference held by the Bund (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General...h_Labor_Union), Alexander I. Solzhenitsyn quotes from an issue of Izvestia, month of april 1917:

"When all the orators were done with their speech, all conference attendees sang the anthem of the Bund, Di Shvoue, the Internationale and la Marseillaise"
          WoW, thanks for the article.

Comment

Originally posted by karoaper
            He loved making fun of Mexican and English quizine, and comparing it with the French.

No surprise. The French, in general, are experts at making fun of whatever is non-French.

Comment

Some say a picture is worth a thousand words...

Comment

Barev Armenian, nice to see you contributing to this thread.

BTW guys, what's with this "French" debate? Who cares about France and French, let's stay on the subject, please.

Armenian I congratulate you on your decision to move to Armenia, that's whats called putting the money where the mouth is. Bravo, enker.

But I don't agree with "milking the diaspora" theory. We don't want your money, we want YOU. We want you and your family living in Armenia. Maybe start with six month in Armenian, six month in Diaspora then move to Armenian permanently in a few years time.

We specially don't want any "political" investments, which are so common in the west. I mean, we don't want people putting money in our economy on political conditions. If they want to bring changes to the government and it's policies then they should be part of the country and vote or get elected themselfs.

Disaporan patriots should realise that the only way they can be part of the Armenian political process is when they permanently live in Armenia. For example, no matter how popular or powerfull ARF is in Armenia, it will never be the ruling party until it has all or most of its supporters living in Armenia.

Comment

Where do you live?

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo
                    Where do you live?
                    Do you mean where I live? If so then why don't you ask it properly? Like, "where do you live Gazan"?

I'm in an import/export business so I spent most of my time between Europe, US and Australia,which suits me fine because it's like both pleasure and business. Basically I have a place to stay in all these three places since I got realitves and friends everywhere but for example when it's freezing in New York like now then I'd rather be in Sydney and that's where I'm now.

Look, I will be honest with you, here in the foreign lands I make a very good living, I can't complain. I got a few properties and I spoil myself every now and then with something special, like an expensive brand new sports car, which I change every year, or a custom made chopper (motorbike).

But I will be honest with you again and will tell you that all the above was never my goal. I want to serve my people and make a difference to my country. I want the turk to be punished and I will put everything what I have to achieve that. That's why I don't sit on my hands and I do things. We had a number of projects to help Armenia, we imported from Armenia goods such as brandy, mineral water, shoes etc worth hundreds of thousands of dollars and in almost all of the cases we didnt make any money on it, but it was worth it because we injected money in to the Armenian economy and if at least 10 people and their families earned a decent income for at least a year then the projest was a success. And since I know they did, it was a success indeed.

Plus I spent a fair bit of time with diasporan youngsters, owing a sports car and having dozens of similarly minded people as my friends helps a lot since thats the initial magnet for these youngsters to spend time with us. Then I regularly go to the shooting range and practise my shooting skills becaue I believe it is paramount for us Armenians to know how to use a weapon. In other words I'm very happy here but my future and that of my family is in Armenia and if I manage to take 10 diasporan families with me to Armenia then I would be even happier.

Comment

When last time i was in Armenia in 99-2000...it was a hell...the moment we entered Armenia from Georgian-Armenian border to the moment we took off from airport to Amsterdam

As you said Gazan, we should learn to use weapons, our nation has lots of nasty animals...i bet not much has changed since 2000.

If your not ready to do some cleaning work, don't even think about going back unless you have money growing tree

Comment

Working...
                      X