Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Diaspora: Does it have a future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Diaspora: Does it have a future?

All right, I'm stretching things a bit.

But France is a dead nation (one has to be french to realize that) so if they have assimilated, they have assimilated into nothing.
    And frankly do you think most of them know much about the french language, culture, history...?

Anyone can learn the armenian language, culture and history btw
    If this is required (which can be argued), does that suffice to make one armenian?

One has to agree armenian identity in the diaspora is confined to a sort of obsessive fixation with turks and a fight for AG recognition and against "denialism" (pushing for asinine laws...). Apart from that, it appears almost everyone shares and enjoys the same materialistic horizon and spiritually devoid hollywood-made xxxxty subculture (even those living in RA, it appears)

Comment

Originally posted by axel
      But France is a dead nation (one has to be french to realize that) so if they have assimilated, they have assimilated into nothing.

It is your assumption that France is a dead nation. Whether they have assimilated into “nothing”(as you mention) or into something, does that really make any difference?

Anyone can learn the armenian language, culture and history btw
      If this is required (which can be argued), does that suffice to make one armenian?
      When did I claim such a thing? Of course not. A Turk by doing all the above can’t become Armenian. An Armenian identity (as an inseparable part) is required as well,and the language gives a unique character to that identity.

By the way I don’t see the language, apart from the culture, and that’s what makes a group of people, as a distinct one.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucin
        It is your assumption that France is a dead nation.
        It is more than an assumption.

Whether they have assimilated into “nothing”(as you mention) or into something, does that really make any difference?
        No, there is difference. for (this may sound blasphemous to some ears, sorry) if they did assimilate into nothing, it must be that they were worth nothing.

When did I claim such a thing? Of course not.
        Sorry, I was not trying to put words into your mouth.

I don’t see the language, apart from the culture, and that’s what makes a group of people, as a distinct one.
        The language itself evolves. What fundamentally defines a culture is a spirit. The spirit may die and the language still exist (though altered).

Comment

This is not a matter of subjectivity.
          Should I ask: What do you consider Armenian?
          Then give me an objective answer.

What do you consider French?

Is Jacques Chirac French?

Comment

It is more than an assumption.

No, there is difference. for (this may sound blasphemous to some ears, sorry) if they did assimilate into nothing, it must be that they were worth nothing.

While I don’t agree with you that France is a dead nation, assimilation into “something” is not a better excuse. However, assimilation is an inevitable phenomenon, that only can be hindered.

What is your understanding of a French or an Armenian, that you claim the former is dead? Go a bit into specifics please.
            According to you, it is not a matter of subjectivity, while by referring to France as a dead nation; you are not being objective either.

When you talk to a French, the pride of their identity or their language burns your eyes.

The language itself evolves. What fundamentally defines a culture is a spirit. The spirit may die and the language still exist (though altered).

The language is a part of that spirit. If the spirit dies, the language will not persist much longer.
            Last edited by Lucin; 02-07-2007, 01:26 AM.

Comment

When you talk to a French, the pride of their identity or their language burns your eyes.
              I've mostly gotten pride of their quizine (sp?). I worked with a French guy a few years back. He loved making fun of Mexican and English quizine, and comparing it with the French. The language also seemed to be a sore spot. But overall, it seemed to me that he and, judging from France, the French society in general, is closer to the American melting-pot mentality, where it's not the ethnicity that makes you French, but assimilating and living the "French" dream so to speak.

Comment

you are not being objective either.
                I am being fully objective for there is absolutely no sense of common destiny or national sentiment left. Everything has been completely and systematically eradicated. The spirit is exhausted, dead. France is an open-air museum so to speak, nothing more (a province of the judeo-western empire, "accessoirement")

The language is a part of that spirit. If the spirit dies, the language will not persist much longer
                Very true. In fact, if you were a native speaker, you would have noticed how degraded the language has become. People no longer speak french but some sort of newspeak derived from it (this goes for the candidates to the presidency too). Probably the result of being continuously fed with debilitating dubbed american series, movies & shows (the latter are not dubbed, only the concept is reused) which contributes to complete spiritual leveling.

Even ethnically speaking, just walk around the streets in Paris, you don't get to see many french people, instead, some sort of a mix of all ethnicities. And most of these people do hold the french nationality (which is the only thing required to be "french" in addition to adhering to the principles of the "french" republic).

Some say a picture is worth a thousand words...
                Do you know who's standing in the middle of the picture below?

Want to learn more about contemporary "France", where it is heading, whose hands its destiny lies inside?
                Go to: http://www.crif.org

These are just a few aspects of the question, very roughly sketched.
                Clearly one cannot address such a question in a few sentences on a public board and I am not willing to discuss this any further for you don't seem to know anything about the subject at hand.
                Moreover, this has nothing to do with the original topic and I wouldn't want to be trialed for expressing my views on a topic of so little interest.

Karo is very much correct when he writes:

the French society in general, is closer to the American melting-pot mentality, where it's not the ethnicity that makes you French, but assimilating and living the "French" dream so to speak.
                The "french" dream is that of the universal republic.
                Last edited by Guest; 02-07-2007, 08:14 AM.

Comment

It seems that France is very much like Britain and America where identity, culture and race is sacrificed on the altar of egalitarianism and sameness in an effort to create a melange of brown people with a mass-produced culture that came off the MTV assembly line, factory direct.

By the way, isn't that the Hungarian Joo Sarkozy in that picture? Shows you who rules France.
                  Achkerov kute.

Comment

Well summed up. As to your question, yes, it is.

Most presidential candidates in fact plan to attend the community's "meeting against the iranian menace" where they will receive their instructions for france's 2007 foreign policy. (http://www.crif.org/?page=articles_d...l/main&artyd=9)

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
                      It seems that France is very much like Britain and America where identity, culture and race is sacrificed on the altar of egalitarianism and sameness in an effort to create a melange of brown people with a mass-produced culture that came off the MTV assembly line, factory direct.
                      Even when working with metal (or other raw materials), sometimes you just have to melt everything down into a pot and start building things from scratch. Yah when the stuff is melted and all colorless and gooey in the pot, it may seem like it was a "step back", but the end result might justify that backwards step.

With all these races and nationalities and "cultures" that are pretty much dead-locked on the globe, each trying to selfishly maximize its own utility, maybe doing a bit of mixing things up ain't such a bad thing for the long run?

Mathematically speaking, sometimes when trying to get to the global optimum of a function, you end up stuck at local optima ... doing a "backwards jump" to some other point in the funciton might allow one to get unstuck and make moves towards the global optimum.
                      this post = teh win.

Comment

Working...
                      X