Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Turkey bans YouTube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TURKEY BANS YOUTUBE, AGAIN
    Chris Peredun

DailyTech, IL

Jan 21 2008

Deja vu all over again

In what is becoming a bit of a recurring event, YouTube has once again
    found itself banned from Turkey for having clips available that insult
    the first president and founding father Mustafa Kemal Ataturk.

After a ban in March of 2007, Turkish citizens were once again free
    to peruse YouTube's collection of poorly-rendered karaoke footage
    and clips of bodily harm. A court ruling in September threatened to
    re-enact the ban, but it was never enforced -- and the most recent
    ruling passed on January 17th resulted in the current blockade.

"Insulting Turkishness" is a criminal act in Turkey, and even being
    able to view the objectionable video was deemed enough to warrant a
    ban on the entire site. The supposed clip in question compares Ataturk
    with a monkey, and attempting to browse to the YouTube homepage from
    anywhere within Turkey results in an error stating "Access to this
    web site has been suspended in accordance with decision no: 2008/55
    of T.R. Ankara 12th Criminal Court of Peace."

At least 65 people -- including many journalists and writers -- have
    been charged with "insulting Turkishness" since the introduction of
    the law in June of 2005. The law calls for a sentence of between six
    months and three years in prison for "anyone who openly denigrates the
    government, judicial institutions or military or police structures"
    -- or even mentioning past transgressions of the nation, such as the
    Armenian massacres or Kurdish questioning.
    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

It is not just humeorus sites that are banned. See here, http://richarddawkins.net/forum/view...34f681b9fe9495

And as well as sites banned by Turk Telekom, thousands more sites are made inaccessible by the censoring software that most internet cafes are obliged to install (and most Turks access the internet through such cafes). Must admit I've never tried accessing armeniangenocide.com from a Turkish internet cafes but, for example, xxxxxxxx is banned.
      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
        It is not just humeorus sites that are banned. See here, http://richarddawkins.net/forum/view...34f681b9fe9495

And as well as sites banned by Turk Telekom, thousands more sites are made inaccessible by the censoring software that most internet cafes are obliged to install (and most Turks access the internet through such cafes). Must admit I've never tried accessing armeniangenocide.com from a Turkish internet cafes but, for example, xxxxxxxx is banned.
        Last time I was in Turkey- summer 2005- in Izmir, I was unable event to access groong.com. Maybe that has changed since then.
        General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph View Post
          Last time I was in Turkey- summer 2005- in Izmir, I was unable event to access groong.com. Maybe that has changed since then.
          Never had any problem with groong except that sometimes individual news articles are inaccessible. The more western, or more ethnically Turkish, the town or city is, the less likely its internet cafes will have censoring software installed. For example, the only town in eastern Turkey I have been able to access xxxxxxxx is Erzincan.
          Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph View Post
            The timing of this is very strange due to the fact that Turkey claims they will amend their article 301 and just yesterday news came out that high-profile and powerful nationalist Turks were arrested in connection with the finding of explosives.

I guess it is just more evidence that Turkey is teetering on whether to fight their unhealthy nationalism or encourage it.

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post

Must admit I've never tried accessing armeniangenocide.com from a Turkish internet cafes but, for example, xxxxxxxx is banned.
              That shouldn't be a problem for you. Didn't xxxxxxxx ban you for some infraction?

Comment

This almost makes me embarassed to say that I have some Turkish blood in me....

Comment

Another Internet Site Is BannedThe censorship against the internet sites is continuing in Turkey. After youtube.com and dailymotion, not the sites of kliptube and gundemonline.com are banned, too.

Bia news center - Istanbul-ankara

14-08-2008

Erol ÖNDEROĞLU - [email protected]

After the internet sites youtube.com and dailymotion, the access to the site of kliptube.com is denied to the internet users in Turkey.

The biggest video sharing site of the internet, youtube.com, has been closed in Turkey for three months now. Dailymotion.com has just recently been added to the list.

“The access to this site is barred by a court decision”
                  The latest victim is another video sharing site, kliptube.com. However, it is not possible to find out how, when and why the access to this site is banned by going to the site itself.

Those who visit the site are greeted by the sentence that “The access to this site is barred by a court decision”. The same happened to the dailymotion in the beginning of August.

The internet site of gundemonline.com is banned without any justification
                  Ankara’s 11th High Criminal Court banned gundemonline.com, a site about the Kurdish problem, on August 7 without any justification. However, it is not known what particular page of the site led to the banning.

According to one of the site authorities, Ramazan Pekgöz, their site has been closed by court orders four times so far. He says that nobody gives them any explanation about the situation. Since it is a very long process to remove this court order, they simply continue their existence by changing names. (EÖ/EZÖ
                  "All truth passes through three stages:
                  First, it is ridiculed;
                  Second, it is violently opposed; and
                  Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

The same site (YouTube) was banned in Armenia earlier this year.

Can Armenia be taught tolerance?

Comment

When, during the elections?
                      "All truth passes through three stages:
                      First, it is ridiculed;
                      Second, it is violently opposed; and
                      Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

Working...
                      X