Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Turkey bans YouTube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Number of Youtube visitors doubles after Turkish PM's remarks

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 00:39

The number of visitors to YouTube from Turkey, increased two-fold after the country’s prime minister said he has been frequenting the video-sharing website, despite the ban implemented by courts for almost a year.

Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan said last month that he has been accessing YouTube, and confessed that he watched a video of the ceremony, in which veiled women became the members of the main opposition party, CHP, posted on the site

YouTube jumped to the ninth place, up from the fourteenth, as the most visited website in Turkey after Erdogan remarks.

At the time, Erdogan had urged reporters that they too should watch videos on the banned website.

Two courts ordered ban on YouTube in response to videos that it deemed insulting to Ataturk, the founder of modern Turkey. Under Turkish law, it is crime to insult Ataturk.

Experts say there are many ways to access YouTube despite the ban; however they remind that all of these methods are illegal.
    The number of visitors to YouTube from Turkey, increased two-fold after the country’s prime minister said he has been frequenting the video-sharing website,...
    "All truth passes through three stages:
    First, it is ridiculed;
    Second, it is violently opposed; and
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

Originally posted by Gavur View Post
      however they remind that all of these methods are illegal.
      Another Hurriyet gag! It was illegal(!)...

Every people, especially youth in Turkey, knows the way to access youtube, blogspot and other banned sites.

Some lords arbitrarily wanted to progress absurdism in Turkey but in moral base i dont think it is illegal in the sights of people.

Comment

Its just another example of extremists in power in Turkey using the genocide and other issues to clamp down further on freedom of speech and general human rights in Turkey, this time they have targeted the internet.

Good on Turks for going to U Tube despite the ban, because no government has the right to take away freedom of information.

Comment

As a turkish Turkey is the most antidemocrat country all over the world and i hate that

Comment

Originally posted by UrTurkishFriend View Post
            As a turkish Turkey is the most antidemocrat country all over the world and i hate that
            Even though some may disagree with me, there are many natione less democratic than Turkey and Armenia is not nearly as democratic as it should be. We all have a way to go.
            General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph View Post
              Even though some may disagree with me, there are many natione less democratic than Turkey and Armenia is not nearly as democratic as it should be. We all have a way to go.
              As a Turkish citizen,

Yes, Turkiye does not have the best democracy in world but Turkiye is the most democratic country in its region and in the muslim world. Republic of Turkiye is the only one secular state in the Muslim world, and it is more secular than many european countries. Turkiye gave the women to voting right in 1926, this is earlier than France and many european countries.

this is so unfair to say," Turkiye is the most anti democratic country", if i must be realistic, Armenian democracy too weaker than Turkish democracy. comparing Armenian democracy wirh Turkish democracy is a big insult for me.

My Best Regards

Comment

Originally posted by tansel View Post
                As a Turkish citizen,

Yes, Turkiye does not have the best democracy in world but Turkiye is the most democratic country in its region and in the muslim world. Republic of Turkiye is the only one secular state in the Muslim world, and it is more secular than many european countries. Turkiye gave the women to voting right in 1926, this is earlier than France and many european countries.

this is so unfair to say," Turkiye is the most anti democratic country", if i must be realistic, Armenian democracy too weaker than Turkish democracy. comparing Armenian democracy wirh Turkish democracy is a big insult for me.

My Best Regards
                Huh...

1. Turkey is the most democratic country in its region.
                - In some aspects, right. But not IN EVERY aspect. Turkey is less than let's say even Iran in some part.

2. Turkiye is the only one secular state in the Muslim world.
                - This is another Kemalist lie also.

3. It is more secular than many european countries.
                - If secularity means to have a very confused state mind, yes true!

4. Comparing Armenian democracy wirh Turkish democracy is a big insult for me.
                - So non-sense, why?

Comment

Originally posted by ardakilic View Post
                  Huh...

1. Turkey is the most democratic country in its region.
                  - In some aspects, right. But not IN EVERY aspect. Turkey is less than let's say even Iran in some part.

2. Turkiye is the only one secular state in the Muslim world.
                  - This is another Kemalist lie also.

3. It is more secular than many european countries.
                  - If secularity means to have a very confused state mind, yes true!

4. Comparing Armenian democracy wirh Turkish democracy is a big insult for me.
                  - So non-sense, why?

1-which "some part" of Iran is more democratic than Turkiye?

2-Show me another secular country which its population's majority is muslim.

3-Secularity means seperation of the religion and the state. Everyone has right to beleive what they want. But state cannot have a religion. (according to Turkish constitution)

4-coz i only prefer to compare Turkish democracy with the advanced democracies. Armenian democracy is not so different than afghanistan democracy. they cant even elect their president withouth violence. remember the last Armenian elections.

Comment

Originally posted by tansel View Post
                    1-which "some part" of Iran is more democratic than Turkiye?
                    2-Show me another secular country which its population's majority is muslim.
                    3-Secularity means seperation of the religion and the state. Everyone has right to beleive what they want. But state cannot have a religion. (according to Turkish constitution)
                    4-coz i only prefer to compare Turkish democracy with the advanced democracies. Armenian democracy is not so different than afghanistan democracy. they cant even elect their president withouth violence. remember the last Armenian elections.
                    1. I just give Iran as an example to compare Turkey and i thought this is a good way to break Turkey's "Kemalist arrogance". Kemalist arrogance is to behave against Islamic and/or Eastern countries as a person who comes from vilage to metrpolitan city and turned back. I am not advocating Iran, but as i said, to break that kind of arrogance, Iran is good example:

a- Minorities, especially Christian minorities right and participation to political life
                    b- Women's participation to social and political life

2. My argument is not there is any other country which is both secular and its population mostly Muslim. If we look at constitutions, Indonesia constition doesnot define any state religion. Although many Muslim-populated countries' constitutions define Islam as the religion of state, they have much more better religious tolerance and harmony than Turkey (Malaysia, Syria, Algeria, Libya). Also, for example, Greece or England is not secular but the huge difference between their democracy and Turkish one is impossible to compare.

3. In some aspects, Turkey has a secularism which is as hostile as Soviet practice and in some aspects Turkey is more Islamic ruling country than Iran.

4. Armenian democracy can have problems just as Turkey has. But this undeserved arrogance is not democracy (rule of people, by the people, for the people) just propaganda of Turk to Turk, by Turk, not for Turk.

Comment

Originally posted by ardakilic View Post
                      1. I just give Iran as an example to compare Turkey and i thought this is a good way to break Turkey's "Kemalist arrogance". Kemalist arrogance is to behave against Islamic and/or Eastern countries as a person who comes from vilage to metrpolitan city and turned back. I am not advocating Iran, but as i said, to break that kind of arrogance, Iran is good example:

a- Minorities, especially Christian minorities right and participation to political life
                      b- Women's participation to social and political life

2. My argument is not there is any other country which is both secular and its population mostly Muslim. If we look at constitutions, Indonesia constition doesnot define any state religion. Although many Muslim-populated countries' constitutions define Islam as the religion of state, they have much more better religious tolerance and harmony than Turkey (Malaysia, Syria, Algeria, Libya). Also, for example, Greece or England is not secular but the huge difference between their democracy and Turkish one is impossible to compare.

3. In some aspects, Turkey has a secularism which is as hostile as Soviet practice and in some aspects Turkey is more Islamic ruling country than Iran.

4. Armenian democracy can have problems just as Turkey has. But this undeserved arrogance is not democracy (rule of people, by the people, for the people) just propaganda of Turk to Turk, by Turk, not for Turk.
                      Selam

1- i heard the definition of "Kemalist arrogance" first time, i have never faced a kind of behaviour like "kemalist arrogance" in Turkiye. i really don't have an idea about what you are talking about. so i can not discuss about generally unknown definitions.

a) every individual who is over 18 age has right to elect, every individual over 25 has right to be elected.

b) every individual who is over 18 age has right to elect, every individual over 25 has right to be elected. and the Turkiye's former female president Tansu Çiller proved there r no legal barriers against the women in political life in Turkiye.

2-i am not curious about ur personal opinion, pls show me concrede evidences that can confirm your claims.

3-i am not curious about ur personal opinion, pls show me concrede evidences that can confirm your claims.

4-Armenian democracy is too weak to compare it with Turkish democracy.

you can have an hatred against Turkiye and Turks, i can understand that but pls be a little more reasonable, don't let your hatred block your sense.

Comment

Working...
                      X