Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

International News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Armenia Finally Holds
    Mostly Fair Elections

By Harut Sassounian
    Publisher, The California Courier

Armenians worldwide can now breathe a big sigh of relief after months of
    speculation, fears of domestic turmoil, and threats by the U.S. and Europeans of canceling multi-million dollar assistance programs in Armenia in the event thatthey judged the elections to be tainted. Armenia has finally succeeded in holding mostly fair parliamentary elections. International observers, while pointing out some irregularities, were unanimous in confirming that the May 12 elections were "a step forward," "aclear
    improvement over previous elections" and "in compliance with international
    standards."

More than 20 political parties fielded candidates in this election, while
    several others did not participate either to protest previous unfair elections or
    to avoid the embarrassment of an expected poor showing.
    In the parliamentary elections, citizens may cast two votes: the first vote
    is to elect candidates that represent them in their home districts, similarto
    U.S. congressional elections; and the second is a nationwide vote for
    political parties. Of the 131 seats in Parliament, 90 are allocated for political
    parties that receive more than 5% of the total national vote, while the remaining 41seats are for individual representatives. Five parties, three pro-government and two from the opposition, surpassed the required minimum threshold of 5%: the Republican Party of Armenia (won 33% of the national vote) led by Serge Sarkisian who is the leading contender in
    next February˘s presidential election; the recently-formed Prosperous Armenia Party (won 15% of the vote) led by wealthy businessman Gagik Tsarukian; theARF
    won 13% of the vote; the Country of Laws Party (7% of the vote) led by Artur
    Baghdasarian, former Chairman of the Parliament who left the ruling coalition
    and joined the ranks of the opposition; and finally, the opposition Heritage
    Party (6% of the vote), led by U.S.-born former Foreign Minister Raffi
    Hovannisian, made its maiden entry into the Parliament.
    The Republican Party (RPA), having won most of the 41 single mandate seats in
    addition to capturing one-third of the national vote, has registered a
    landslide victory. It now holds close to one half of all the seats in Parliament. In
    the coming days, RPA will probably form a coalition with the Prosperous
    Armenia Party and the ARF which will give the new ruling coalition control of more
    than 80% of the parliamentary seats.
    Most of the opposition parties did not exceed the required 5% threshold
    because they had failed to form an anti-government coalition and put forward a
    joint slate of candidates. It would not be surprising if these opposition parties
    are either disbanded or reconstituted under new leadership. On the other hand,
    the very impressive success of Serge Sarkisian˘s Republican Party is expected
    to catapult him to the presidency in February 2008.

We now would like to update our readers on two other on-going issues:
    The first deals with "sensitive" internal State Department documents obtained
    by the Armenian National Committee through the Freedom of Information Act.
    They cover the forced early retirement of Amb. John Evans for having uttered the
    words Armenian Genocide during his appearances in California in February
    2005. These documents show that while State Department officials were publicly
    praising Amb. Evans and expressing their wishes that he would serve as ambassador
    in Armenia as long as possible, in fact they were ordering him to leave his
    post and return to the U.S immediately. By doing so, U.S. officials could then
    tell the Senators that since Armenia did not have a U.S. ambassador, the
    Senate must ratify the nomination of his successor, Richard Hoagland. This
    underhanded tactic was a complete failure. Amb. Hoagland is still waiting to be
    confirmed more than a year after he was first nominated, because of the hold placed
    on his confirmation by Sen. Robert Menendez.
    Secondly, based on copies of the e-mails received by this writer, the Los
    Angeles Times is continuing to receive a steady stream of complaints from
    Armenians worldwide. They are calling for the dismissal of Managing Editor Douglas
    Frantz because of his discrimination against Armenian-American reporter Mark
    Arax whose article on the Armenian Genocide was blocked by Frantz. Meanwhile,
    several Turkish websites and lobbying groups have started an e-mail campaign in
    defense of Frantz. By sending such e-mails, the Turks are inadvertently helping
    to keep the Frantz fiasco alive. It is clearly counter-productive for Turks
    to be rushing to the aid of Frantz. The Turkish support of Frantz only serves
    to confirm the accusations that he is a Turkophile and not an independent
    journalist.
    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph View Post
      Meanwhile,
      several Turkish websites and lobbying groups have started an e-mail campaign in
      defense of Frantz. By sending such e-mails, the Turks are inadvertently helping
      to keep the Frantz fiasco alive. It is clearly counter-productive for Turks
      to be rushing to the aid of Frantz. The Turkish support of Frantz only serves
      to confirm the accusations that he is a Turkophile and not an independent
      journalist.
      In the words of our esteemed great leader: "bring it on!" lol

And good news concerning the Armenian elections...still much more to Democracy (and functional government) then just elections...a great deal more...

Comment

SARKOZY'S INTENTION TO HINDER FROM TURKEY'S MEMBERSHIP CAN BECOME
        REASON FOR EU PARTITION, TURK HISTORIAN THINKS

ISTANBUL, MAY 14, NOYAN TAPAN. "Sarkozy in reality is not a Frenchman
        by origin. He is a son of a family lived in the Ottaman lands, and in
        opposite to it, is full of much hatred towards Turks." Doctor,
        professor Yusuf Halacoglu, the Chairman of the Turkish Historic
        Association made such a statement, commenting upon French President
        Nicolas Sarkozy's statements addressed to Turkey as well as made in
        the direction of assisting adoption of the law making denial of the
        Armenian Genocide a crime.

Yusuf Halacoglu drew attention to newly-elected President of France
        Nicolas Sarkozy's statements addressed to Turkey and, mentioning that
        at the same time with Sarkozy's being elected the President, a new era
        will start in Europe, stated: "If Sarkozy does not refuse that idea
        (to hinder from Turkey's membership to the EU - N.T.), it is possible
        that it becomes a reason for partition of the EU."

Halacoglu insisted that Sarkozy, instead of drawing forward the
        interests of the country, is carried away by his feelings.
        General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

From now on whenever Halacoglu makes a public statement I think we have to insist that he put a jester hat (with bells) on and do a little entertaining dance to go along with his funny statements...

Comment

Originally posted by 1.5 million View Post
            From now on whenever Halacoglu makes a public statement I think we have to insist that he put a jester hat (with bells) on and do a little entertaining dance to go along with his funny statements...
            Mark my words; Halacoglu is going to unwittingly do more for Armenian and Assyrian Genocide recognition than anyone currently alive today

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph View Post
              Mark my words; Halacoglu is going to unwittingly do more for Armenian and Assyrian Genocide recognition than anyone currently alive today
              I would tend to agree with you here. ...he should be given an invitation to all Armenian Genocide forums...and we should take Turkey up on the offer for each side to form a council of historians concerning the Armenian Genocide and absolutly INSIST that he be Turkey's representative...lol

Comment

Originally posted by 1.5 million View Post
                I understand he's the hot favourite to win next year's Eurovision for turkey.

Comment

Originally posted by steph View Post
                  I understand he's the hot favourite to win next year's Eurovision for turkey.
                  With hair like his, he's most certain to win...if he chooses to enter.

Comment

Yes, you're right Yusuf in your paranoia. Countries and states that recognize the Genocide want to split Turkey apart...this guy truly is outerlimits. I think Armenians should bring him to every conference and sponsor a speaking tour.

THE ARMENIAN GENOCIDE RECOGNITION RESOLUTIONS DO NOT OBLIGE TURKEY
                    By Hakob Chakrian

AZG Armenian Daily
                    16/05/2007

On May 12, in a conference on "The Armenian issue" organized in
                    Antalya, head of Turkish History Company professor Yusuf Halachoghlu
                    made a speech. He warned the participants that the recognitions of
                    the Armenian Genocide at present, also in past, were directed to the
                    splitting of the Turkish State and its land. Then, characterizing
                    the recognitions of the Armenian Genocide as political, he added:
                    "These resolutions can not be obliging for Turkey".

Comment

Lookout! He might become the next president of Turkey,lately he's been sounding more like an Azeri watermelon salesman then an historian,U.S. wouldn't mind!
                      "All truth passes through three stages:
                      First, it is ridiculed;
                      Second, it is violently opposed; and
                      Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

Working...
                      X