Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

International News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1.5 million View Post
    If I was Sarkozy - to avoid charges of rascim or religious intollerance or what have you - I would adopt the postion of supporting Turkish inclusion into the EU - with the strict fulfilment of conditions that would make Turkey a proper EU community nation. And we know what are among those conditions. I would state that these conditions are not negotiable if Turkey wishes to be an EU nation. And of course I would say that I am most hopeful that Turkey eventually will manage to get it together and do the right thing and that if and when they do - the French & the rest of Europe willwelcome thm with open arms! he he
    Only a jerk would accuse anyone not wishing Turkey to join the EU of being a racist and bigot. What are you now - the spokesman of the AK party (or whatever they are currently calling themselves)?
    Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Or is it another example of your "irony" being lost.
      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
        Or is it another example of your "irony" being lost.
        Meeeiaow

Comment

If I was Sarkozy - to avoid charges of rascim or religious intollerance or what have you - I would adopt the postion of supporting Turkish inclusion into the EU - with the strict fulfilment of conditions that would make Turkey a proper EU community nation. And we know what are among those conditions. I would state that these conditions are not negotiable if Turkey wishes to be an EU nation. And of course I would say that I am most hopeful that Turkey eventually will manage to get it together and do the right thing and that if and when they do - the French & the rest of Europe willwelcome thm with open arms! he he
          You think too much like a politician - are you sure you're not one? - very sly indeed...and here the poor Turks honestly think they stand a chance while the majority of the European Union leaders adopt such an approach...Suppose Turkey were to fulfill all requirements? What would they say then? Come up with a new requirement? I think yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jade
            You think too much like a politician - are you sure you're not one? - very sly indeed...and here the poor Turks honestly think they stand a chance while the majority of the European Union leaders adopt such an approach...Suppose Turkey were to fulfill all requirements? What would they say then? Come up with a new requirement? I think yes.
            My thoughts exactly. Almost all of the requirements that the EU had been demanding of Turkey, Turkey should have been trying to fulfill anyway - because they will be for the benefit of the people of Turkey regardless of Turkish EU membership.
            The constant linking of necessary reforms in Turkey with Turkish membership of the EU (something which now, I think, has no realistic chance of happening) has meant that the true value of those reforms are being undermined and the risk of a reactionary backlash against them has been increased. However, the main culprits of this are Turkish politicians, not EU leaders.
            Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by Jade
              If the Turks were to fulfil the requirements - and I believe that these requirements are in fact necessary and not just an excuse - then I would fully welcome Turkey into the EU (if I was European or just that I support the idea of Turkey into the EU - but not as is etc). However I do view the need for Turkey to truly be democratic (ie not under military control and not with a restrictive press and archaic laws preventing freedom of speech/expression etc) and of course this includes recognition [and certainly not supression] of the facts pertaining to the Armenian Genocide as a full and necessary part of this). I want to see Turkey as part of the EU - for everyone's benefit. But I see a great danger in relaxing standards just to allow Turkey in because it is ultimatly the best thing for everyone. While certainly these criteria are seen by many as a way to prevent Turkey from joining I don't see it that way. And it is the Turks (elites and reactionaies) themselves who will truly use these criteria as an excuse not to join and then blame the Eurpeans for racism. And in fact (many of) the Turkish elites don't want to really join the Eu as it will comprimise their power and control.

Comment

- I would fully welcome Turkey into the EU (if I was European or just that I support the idea of Turkey into the EU - but not as is etc). I want to see Turkey as part of the EU - for everyone's benefit. But I see a great danger in relaxing standards just to allow Turkey in because it is ultimatly the best thing for everyone.
                1.5, for what reasons would you like to see turkey as part of the EU?
                I'm really interested to hear others arguments regarding this, as I consider that already the EU has become too large and disparate for it's own good.
                Perhaps if it continues to expand, it needs a fundamental re-organisation.

Do you see a future where all of Europe is part of the EU? Including, of course, Russia? Perhaps that would be too idealistic and utopian.
                Is turkey really part of Europe? Or a bridge between the mainly Christian West and mainly Islamic East?
                turkey should be admitted, or not, on it's own merits and not for strategic reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by steph View Post
                  1.5, for what reasons would you like to see turkey as part of the EU?
                  I'm really interested to hear others arguments regarding this, as I consider that already the EU has become too large and disparate for it's own good.
                  Perhaps if it continues to expand, it needs a fundamental re-organisation.

Do you see a future where all of Europe is part of the EU? Including, of course, Russia? Perhaps that would be too idealistic and utopian.
                  Is turkey really part of Europe? Or a bridge between the mainly Christian West and mainly Islamic East?
                  turkey should be admitted, or not, on it's own merits and not for strategic reasons.

I agree with 1.5. If Turkey was to fulfill all the requirements by the EU then they should be able to join but to be perfectly honest with you, the only reason I feel that way is because I doubt they will fulfill these requirements. In some ways Turkey in the EU would probably help to liberalize them but then again Turkey may use its membership to entirely hijak EU policy altogether with their giant uneducated population and military.

The Turkish military will never give up control. The Turks will at some point invade N. Iraq. The Turks will never relinquish their out-dated mode of ultra-nationalism that most Europeans despise and nationalism will indeed continue to rise in Turkey. The Turks will continue to do things that anger their neighbors, etc.

Furthermore, I believe it is wrong (and perhaps counterproductive to Turkeys EU aspirations) the US continues to push for Turkey's EU acceptance.

The EU currently has enough problems. I don't see how adding Turkey or any new nations for that matter will help their agenda (whatever that agenda might be).
                  General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

I've highlighted some particularly interesting parts. I almost hope something happens.

Turkish Daily News: Explore the latest Turkish news, including Turkey news, politics, political updates, and current affairs. Israel: Hamas Intelligence Deputy Head Shadi Barud Killed - 21:10

WHAT OTHERS SAY

Monday, May 28, 2007

Turkish and American troops on the border

Fikret Bila

Tension is running high on the Iraqi border. While the Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) are considerably increasing its presence at the border, they are also intensifying exercises. Operations continue against the outlawed terrorist organization Kurdish Workers' Party (PKK) in the regions near the border. American troops and ?peshmerge?, Iraqi fighters of the President of the Autonomous Kurdish Government in Iraq Massoud Barzani, are also in action. They are getting prepared for a possible cross border operation from Turkey. Barzani forces are digging trenches across the regions where Turkish soldiers are deployed. Coming to Zaho, the U.S. helicopters follow military moves and Turkish reconnaissance flights over the region.

Unmanned vehicles gather intelligence

Has the United States been collecting intelligence via unmanned air vehicles for a while?

There are some serious rumors that U.S. soldiers are gathering information along the Iraq-Turkey border and with unmanned vehicles cross the Turkish border from time to time.

Americans are trying to monitor where Turkish military units are deployed and what their moves are. Barzani's men are also dispatched against a possible TSK operation.

With every chance it has, the United States expresses its objection to a cross border operation by Turkey. As U.S. troops are lately active around the border, the expectation is that Washington will stick to its objection and use military means if necessary.

If Turkish and American troops ? NATO friends and allies ? encountered each other at the border, this would be something dead serious. And would clarify the U.S. political stance. Such a picture will fuel anti-Americanism in Turkish public opinion.

Political will

It has been argued in Ankara for some time whether or not there is a difference of opinion between the government and the TSK. Chief of General Staff Gen. Ya?ar Büyükan?t declared earlier that a cross border operation will be helpful, but said the decision rests with the political authority. Upon latest developments, Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdo?an announced that if the General Staff demanded so, they would make the necessary decision. Foreign Minister Abdullah Gül voiced the same opinion as well.

If there is no other way out, the decision of course will be made in accordance with the Constitution. In addition to its domestic law, Turkey has international legal rights, which it will resort to in order to safeguard its international legitimacy. However, it has been felt that the government is not willing much in the matter. It is trying to stay in accord with the United States on northern Iraq policy, seeking a solution through dialogue with Barzani. Neither Washington nor Barzani's administration share in the approaches of the Turkish government.

President's authority

The Turkish Parliament decided to have general elections. What if there is a loophole when internal laws authorize a military operation, after the parliament is closed? Experts say that the 2nd clause of the Article 92 in the Constitution does not allow any loopholes. The clause states that the authority to govern the TSK rests with the President in the event that using military force is inevitable and the country is under a sudden attack while the Parliament has adjourned or is in recess.

Issue of perpetuity

The last thing Washington and Ankara want is an engagement between Turkish and American troops. Even when the U.S. forces captured Turkish soldiers, in what is now known as the ?hood event? in 2003 in northern Iraq, both sides refrained from a clash. An engagement between the oldest and the biggest NATO powers could create a tremendous crisis. However, Washington needs to understand the problem Turkey faces. The issue for Turkey is not just the PKK. Turkey's strategic priority is first to prevent the formation of an independent Kurdish state in northern Iraq and the status of Kirkuk in this context and then the PKK. Turkey regards these developments particularly in this order as an ?issue of perpetuity?. The atmosphere in Ankara is such that if this problem becomes an issue of perpetuity, all calculations will change.
                    General Antranik (1865-1927): “I am not a nationalist. I recognize only one nation, the nation of the oppressed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph View Post
                      I agree with 1.5. If Turkey was to fulfill all the requirements by the EU then they should be able to join but to be perfectly honest with you, the only reason I feel that way is because I doubt they will fulfill these requirements. In some ways Turkey in the EU would probably help to liberalize them but then again Turkey may use its membership to entirely hijak EU policy altogether with their giant uneducated population and military.

The Turkish military will never give up control. The Turks will at some point invade N. Iraq. The Turks will never relinquish their out-dated mode of ultra-nationalism that most Europeans despise and nationalism will indeed continue to rise in Turkey. The Turks will continue to do things that anger their neighbors, etc.

Furthermore, I believe it is wrong (and perhaps counterproductive to Turkeys EU aspirations) the US continues to push for Turkey's EU acceptance.

The EU currently has enough problems. I don't see how adding Turkey or any new nations for that matter will help their agenda (whatever that agenda might be).

I'm aware of the growing control of the military over Turkey. And I will not say that I'm happy about it - yet, suppose the military had given up it's large influence over the government, where would the government head? - in which direction? and would that direction be a positive one regarding Turkey's future? (of course "positive" would mean different things to everyone, for me "positive" means more secular and democratic) I think that what most "nationalistic" Turks fear is that without the influence of the military over the government, Turkey might end up something like Iran in the future. If they support the military, that is I believe is their main reason for doing so. For fear of AKP... But then again I might be hugely mistaken. I've yet to read more concerning this delicate issue and can only comment from what I've been gathering from here and there and using logic. So I look forward to what the members of this forum have to say regarding this issue...Open for opinions so to speak.

Comment

Working...
                      X