Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Georgian-South Ossetian conflict

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Deadsy
    replied
    Re: Georgian-South Ossetian conflict


    The Russian army loves its NATO loot (Feature)

    By Stefan Korshak Aug 14, 2008, 16:07 GMT

    Gori/Tbilisi - The troopers of Russia's 58th Army, fresh from chasing their US-trained Georgian opponents out of South Ossetia, are just in love with their NATO-issue loot.

    'Check out this war trophy,' a T-62 tank commander named Viktor proudly pointed out to a Deutsche Presse-Agentur dpa reporter. 'A real NATO-standard bayonet!'

    Russia's soldiers currently occupying the Gori district of northern Georgia - abandoned by the Georgian army without a shot - are festooned with personal military kit previously owned by their enemy Georgia, whose government is intent on joining the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.

    Some soldiers, like Viktor, chose to obtain just a souvenir. One of the most popular formerly Georgian military items now in Russian hands is a spiffy black-handled knife.

    Viktor's mates said the weapon, sometimes issued in a snappy leg holster, is suitable for locking onto a US M-16 automatic rifle sold to Georgia, and holds a great edge.

    'There were piles of them in the depot over there,' said a sergeant name Oleg, pointing with his thumb to a plume of smoke rising from behind a hill. 'The Georgians just ran, they didn't even take their (expletive deleted) stuff with them.'

    The Georgian city of Gori was, until approximately the third day of the Ossetia war, the site of a Georgian infantry brigade base. Much of its supplies, the Russians said, were NATO standard in keeping with Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili's enthusiasm for 'Western integration.'

    Unfortunately for Saakashvili, Russian armoured columns tipped with weather-beaten tanks crewed by men like Oleg and Viktor rumbled into Georgia proper on day four of the war and proceeded to demolish the base.

    Saakashvili's media spin machine kicked into high gear, accusing the Russians of violating ceasefire terms (almost certainly) and systematically looting the Georgian countryside (of which independent observers have found little evidence.)

    But the Kremlin and the men of the 58th Army paid little attention, and according to other troopers interviewed the Georgian army base at Gori became sort of a free military accoutrements shopping mart for discerning Russian soldiers interested in the latest in combat style.

    Russian soldiers guarding access routes to Gori, on Thursday, were proudly wearing a remarkably wide selection of 'personal items' more commonly seen on soldiers wearing US or other NATO uniforms.

    Highly popular among the Russians was US-issue 'web gear,' a torso harness used for hanging useful things like bandage packets, ropes, ammunition pouches stamped with 'US,' olive drab flashlights, and canteens.

    One Russian soldier riding in a BMP armored personnel carrier had grabbed US-issue web gear with an mobile phone intact, left there by its former Georgian owner.

    A BMP gunner describing himself as an 'average Siberian guy' had hung his newly-acquired web gear on his vehicle's turret door, just like veteran US soldiers in US-made turrets in Afghanistan or Iraq.

    Much of the Georgian-bought equipment now in Russian hands had little military value: reflective sunglasses similar to US Iraq desert issue, camouflage utility vests designed for NATO grenades and so not really suitable for Russian grenades, and the venerable US Army web belt, holding up dozens of pairs of baggy camouflaged Russian trousers.

    But some of the gear made its new Russian owner an undeniably more survivable soldier: Kevlar vests and helmets, flares, and medical kits - all lighter, easier to use, and harder to break than the Russian counterpart - were among the booty now being worn.

    As a general rule, the 58th Army's non-commissioned officers - veterans of Chechnya with at least a couple of years of service and sometimes more - got first pick. Privates mostly wore standard Russian army issue, as did officers.

    'It's something to take home, to show your friends, to remember your service days when you get old,' a corporal said. 'It shows we were victorious.'






    Oh and this one is interesting:


    Georgian POWs. Look at their trigger fingers.

    Leave a comment:


  • Deadsy
    replied
    Re: Georgian-South Ossetian conflict

    Keep calling me Turk it's quite sad but you seem to be enjoying it. Thankfully most of us don't have this mentality whereby we label our own people as actually being a member of the enemy simply because of their viewpoint or perspective on a certain issue.

    The South Ossetian capital has not been "razed". There are photos online everywhere, yes there is damage but Grozny in 99 is what you would call "razed". Yes there is a lot of damage in Tskinvali. But there is no need to exaggerate things, show me the pictures of these razed buildings?

    You speak of intent as if you were sitting next to Saakaxxxx when he gave out the order. What can you say about Putin (oh I'm sorry, Medvedev! Medvedev is in charge now not Pooty-Poot... right...), what about his intent? To protect Russian citizens? I've heard that if you want Russian citizenship all you have to do is move to Tskinvali and buy some bread.

    And Azad, there are some nice images around that show who put the bodies in those coffins. Georgian men, with South Ossetian armed "guards" watching over.

    Leave a comment:


  • Azad
    replied
    Re: Georgian-South Ossetian conflict

    These images might be distasteful, its reality. I have some compassion for Georgians if they can be saved from their filthy behavior that is becoming so turkish.


    "Coffins containing Georgian soldiers killed during the recent fighting are seen, in Tskhinvali, main city of South Ossetia, prior to the funerals, Monday, Aug. 18, 2008"


    "Georgian servicemen bury unknown Georgian soldiers killed in the armed conflict between Georgia and Russian-backed South Ossetian separatists during a funeral in Tbilisi August 19, 2008."

    Leave a comment:


  • crusader1492
    replied
    Re: Georgian-South Ossetian conflict

    Originally posted by Deadsy View Post
    Read:

    South Ossetian authorities alleged a civilian death toll of over 2,000 early in the conflict.[21] However the Guardian reported that an investigator from Human Rights Watch, who acknowledged that her investigation was not completed, nevertheless alleged that this figure was "suspicious" and "very doubtful", citing a tshinvalli hospital report of 273 wounded and 44 dead.

    Fact is Mr. Crusader, the high number of South Ossetian dead claimed by the S.O and Russian side is looking more and more like an exaggeration.

    And if your mods/admins allow me to stick around long enough this time, I will gladly provide evidence of the violations I claimed were being committed.
    In the end, numbers do not really matter - intent does.
    Moreover, from the massive bombardments of S. Ossetian schools, hospitals, churches and the overall raising of Tskinvali, this was genocidal intent.
    This is what you Turks do not understand as evidenced by your governments claims that only "300,000" Armenians were killed after 1915...which of course is complete BS, much like your regurgitation of a self important "Human Rights Watch" investigator who thinks he knows better.

    Leave a comment:


  • Deadsy
    replied
    Re: Georgian-South Ossetian conflict

    Originally posted by crusader1492 View Post
    Don't forget about the 2000 murdered South Ossetians...that is 15% of their population, erased in 24 hours!
    Read:

    South Ossetian authorities alleged a civilian death toll of over 2,000 early in the conflict.[21] However the Guardian reported that an investigator from Human Rights Watch, who acknowledged that her investigation was not completed, nevertheless alleged that this figure was "suspicious" and "very doubtful", citing a tshinvalli hospital report of 273 wounded and 44 dead.

    Fact is Mr. Crusader, the high number of South Ossetian dead claimed by the S.O and Russian side is looking more and more like an exaggeration.

    And if your mods/admins allow me to stick around long enough this time, I will gladly provide evidence of the violations I claimed were being committed.

    Leave a comment:


  • Tres Bien
    replied
    Re: Georgian-South Ossetian conflict

    Saakashvili is nuts. I was saying that from the beginning he stormed into the Georgian Parlament during the Rose revolution and I'm sticking to that point of view!

    Leave a comment:


  • crusader1492
    replied
    Re: Georgian-South Ossetian conflict

    Originally posted by Federate View Post
    Some figures on casualties:

    - Georgian officials said they lost 160 soldiers and that 300 are missing. Russia said the figure is much higher.
    - Russians said they lost 74 soldiers with 19 missing. Georgia claims Russia lost 400 servicemen.
    - Georgia claims to hold 12 Russian servicemen captive.
    - Russia claims to hold 15 Georgian servicemen captive but Georgia claims Russia is holding about 80.

    From a combination of different sources.
    Don't forget about the 2000 murdered South Ossetians...that is 15% of their population, erased in 24 hours!

    Western journalists who never visited South Ossetia and used the footage from Russian media consistently avoided mentioning the following appalling figures: 2,000 people - over 15% of the population of South Ossetia - had been killed in less than 24 hours. The international community so preoccupied with human rights issues does not seem to be concerned about the people trapped without water, electric power, and food under the ruins of Tskhinvali.

    Source: http://www.iras.ir/English/Default_v...a%20and%20the% 20West:%20Goebbels%20Would%20Have%20Been%20Happy!
    Last edited by crusader1492; 08-18-2008, 12:44 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Federate
    replied
    Re: Georgian-South Ossetian conflict

    Some figures on casualties:

    - Georgian officials said they lost 160 soldiers and that 300 are missing. Russia said the figure is much higher.
    - Russians said they lost 74 soldiers with 19 missing. Georgia claims Russia lost 400 servicemen.
    - Georgia claims to hold 12 Russian servicemen captive.
    - Russia claims to hold 15 Georgian servicemen captive but Georgia claims Russia is holding about 80.

    From a combination of different sources.

    Leave a comment:


  • North Pole
    replied
    Re: Georgian-South Ossetian conflict

    Saakashvili loses presence of mind



    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.




    Georgian President Saakashvili eats his tie on TV live (video)

    The BBC has recently aired a TV report, in which Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili ate his tie.

    The report was about the situation in the area of the conflict between Georgia and South Ossetia. The footage showed Saakashvili making a call to a top Western official. It could be clearly seen that Mr. Saakashvili was having a nervous breakdown.


    Mikhail Saakashvili has been staying in the full glare of publicity for several weeks already. Specialists of medicine have questions about his mental state, Rossia TV channel says.
    His statements, which he makes on one and the same day, may often contradict to each other. Russia’s well-known psychologists claim that the Georgian leader is a mentally unstable individual. Specialists say that Saakashvili’s ambition exceeds his capabilities.
    Such mental unbalance leads to irresponsible political decisions, which lead to chaos, human deaths and humanitarian catastrophes.

    The Russian foreign minister said Thursday that Georgia could "forget about" getting back the two separatist regions, South Ossetia and Abkhazia. Medvedev also met with their leaders in Kremlin this past week, raising the prospect that Moscow could absorb the regions even though the territory is internationally recognized as being within Georgia's borders.
    US President Bush does not even think to stop making ridiculous statements regarding the conflict.

    "The world has watched with alarm as Russia invaded a sovereign neighboring state and threatened a democratic government elected by its people. This act is completely unacceptable to the free nations of the world, Bush said in his weekly radio address.

    Mr. Bush of course believes that the bombing of Yugoslavia, the incursion in Iraq, the recognition of Kosovo’s independence and many other criminal acts are absolutely acceptable to the free nations, of which the USA is the most outstanding example.

    Needless to say that it will never occur to either Mr. Bush or Ms. Condoleezza Rice to speak about the nightmare that thousands of South Ossetian residents had to experience after Georgia’s attack on the republic. They do not want even to hear about it.

    US major media outlets, controlled by the White House, do not want to report the truth about Georgia’s aggression either. A US girl of South Ossetian origin happened to stay in the unrecognized republic during Georgia’s attack on the territory. She was lucky to leave the troubled nation safe and sound. However, when she appeared in a program of Fox News channel, the TV host did not even let the girl speak a word of truth.

    READ MORE -- http://english.pravda.ru/world/ussr/..._saakashvili-0

    YouTube - Saakashvili eats his tie




    Russia opens ‘genocide’ criminal case on South Ossetia events

    TSKHINVAL, August 14 (Itar-Tass) - The Russian Prosecutor’s Investigative Committee has opened a criminal case over the fact of murder of Russian citizens in South Ossetia under the Criminal Code article “genocide,” Igor Komissarov, an aide to the committee’s chairman, told Itar-Tass.

    “The Investigative Committee’s main department have instituted criminal proceedings under Article 357 of the Russian Criminal Code- “genocide” based on received information on actions taken by the Georgian armed forces aimed at the liquidation of citizens of Russia residing in South Ossetia and Ossetians by nationality by way of murders and infliction of heavy damage to health,” said Komissarov.



    Leave a comment:


  • crusader1492
    replied
    Re: Georgian-South Ossetian conflict

    Originally posted by Armanen View Post
    Overall great article Crusader. Only thing I didn't like is that the author claimed Armenia occupied 20% of azeri territory, not including Artsakh. That is complete bs, as it's not 20%, closer to 13%, and that land was as much Armenian as Artsakh, just because it was not part of soviet Karabakh doesn't mean jack.
    I caught that too when I read it...the author is Armenian too. He should have known better than to parrot Azeri lies.
    Also, I noticed he only mentioned Azeri refugees...what about Armenian refugees?


    ...sloppy!

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X