Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

does age matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: does age matter?

Originally posted by LadySilver View Post
    I'm just curious does a long lasting relationship automatically lead to marriage?...
    personally I don't need a white dress and a ring to state to the world that I want to be with a person.
    I find that it's looked down upon if a couple don't get married.
    Originally posted by karoaper View Post
    I plan on marrying, if only to celebrate it with my friends and loved ones. The image of my mom sitting and having tears of happiness has played before my eyes many times. What I'm against is throwing huge, extravagant parties.
    Originally posted by sev_zeytun View Post
    Marriage is just a symbolic thing. People don't need marriage to be together for a long time. It just represents the union of two people until they die...think that it would be nice if your partner took those vows and was serious about them.

It seems that there is no common understanding of what "marriage" means and that is probably contributing to some of the "confusion."
    - Marriage is opposed to long lasting relationship
    - Marriage is described as the wedding ritual
    - Marriage is considered as an institution
    - Marriage is confused with wedding (Again)
    - Marriage is described as a celebration
    - Marriage is described as the officialization of a life long relationship

I think that it would be nice if your partner took those vows and was serious about them.
    Yes, it would be nice that the vows are made and taken seriously; but does making it public and official a necessary or sufficient condition that they are taken seriously?
    What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
      Everybody here says if they care for one another, if there is love there, iffff… age doesn’t matter,
      No, your understanding is far from being accurate; it was said:
      Originally posted by Siamanto View Post
      If you think that you can - and are willing to - build something together, give each other and add to each other's life then it's worth trying because:

but I don’t understand, do you guys totally ignore the age factor or there are some limits for you nonetheless?
      Again, your understanding is far from accurate; it was said:
      1- Many factors determine the success of a relationship and age may not be the - or a - relevant one when all considered together

By the way, can you explain to us why the age difference will necessarily lead to failure? Thanks.

I can't imagine how a woman, let’s say in her early twenties can be really attracted to or in love with someone 30 years her senior
      Why not? For instance, Colette, Maria Galas etc. all respectable women with great individuality. Also, their love was true and sincere.

(unless there are some other interests playing a major role or he is a Donald Trump! )?
      That's a bit unfair and disrespectful?
      What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

I just wanted to add that personal choices should not be considered as universal and imposed on all members of a community.
        Well, thanks for taking the whole fun out of it, Mr. Personal Choice.

Comment

... whether a relationship should evolve into a marriage are "personal" choices ...
          It just occured to me that a lot of "traditional marriages" that sometimes revolve(d?) around big age discrepancies (with usually the girl being much younger) are often expected to evolve into a relationship.
          Last edited by Sip; 05-19-2007, 07:26 PM.
          this post = teh win.

Comment

Marriage is just a symbolic thing. People don't need marriage to be together for a long time. It just represents the union of two people until they die (not so much in the US though ---- divorce central ). I think that it would be nice if your partner took those vows and was serious about them. Don't you think so?
            Oh I have nothing against vows. Of course it would be nice, I believe that anyone can make vows towards one another whether you're having a wedding or not. It all depends on how seriously you take your vows towards one another.

Siamanto is right though, there is a distinction between marriage and a wedding and we're confusing them.

Comment

No, your understanding is far from being accurate; it was said:?
              I was not going to quote everyone, I just gave a few repeated examples, maybe I should have said ‘almost everybody’ instead of ‘everybody’.

By the way, can you explain to us why the age difference will necessarily lead to failure? Thanks.
              I was talking about the huge age difference. First off, I don’t know( understand) where the attraction to old men comes from but my personal reason is simple; I’m not attracted to ‘old’ men (old compared to my age) and have never been to, regardless of their character, intelligence, or understanding.
              Apart from the attraction, it is obvious that two people with such huge age difference are in two completely different phases of their lives, thus the needs, the expectations and the interests (those related to the age) of these people are far from being close, and I wonder how they can give each other or add to each other’s life in such a situation?

Why not? For instance, Colette, Maria Galas etc. all respectable women with great individuality. Also, their love was true and sincere.
              How do you know if their love was true or sincere? By the way Colette had a few unsuccessful marriages.

That's a bit unfair and disrespectful?
              Inchu? Yes da chem batsarum.

Comment

I was not going to quote everyone, I just gave a few repeated examples, maybe I should have said ‘almost everybody’ instead of ‘everybody’.
                For clarity and transparency, it's always a good practice to have explicit references and quotations. Regardless, I had and continue to have the impression that you have oversimplified and a bit "characterized" what others have said i.e. you made them sound as "dreamers."

I
                I was talking about the huge age difference.
                You seem to believe - and think - that age is linear and confusing it with chronological age - i.e. time since the birth of the person. That is a very narrow minded understanding of age that may be true of only collectivities - i.e. in average - but not individuals.
                Some of chose to live as individuals.

First off, I don’t know( understand) where the attraction to old men comes from but my personal reason is simple; I’m not attracted to ‘old’ men (old compared to my age) and have never been to, regardless of their character, intelligence, or understanding.
                Many feel the same - or are conditioned or indoctrinated or pressured to feel the same - and I respect your feelings and everybody "should." However, that is a personal feeling - not even a choice - so highly subjective and should not be considered as rational and be suggested as a universal guideline for other individuals.
                LOL I was not aware that you were so influenced by the American beliefs and values????

Apart from the attraction, it is obvious that two people with such huge age difference are in two completely different phases of their lives, thus the needs, the expectations and the interests (those related to the age) of these people are far from being close, and I wonder how they can give each other or add to each other’s life in such a situation?
                Again, your perception of age is a bit simplistic and "linear"
                1- Individuals do not necessarily traverse phases in a linear, sequential manner and it may be done in a random manner
                2- Many are old at fifteen and some are young at fifty
                3- Even when the average person is considered, the phase-chronological age correspondence is not universal and is culturally dependent. For instance, a Japanese young woman may be more in phase with a much older American male than an American of a "matching age."
                4- The phase-chronological age mapping also depends on sociological and other similar factors

Maybe you live in a community where people are with time unable to give to younger individuals - at least you. But, that is your personal experience that should be considered of universal nature.

How do you know if their love was true or sincere?
                Because their experience has been documented. Are you suggesting that they lied about their feelings? If that is the case, then again it is unfair and utterly disrespectful.

By the way Colette had a few unsuccessful marriages.
                By the way, it is irrelevant because it was about the sincerity of their feelings.

Inchu? Yes da chem batsarum.
                If I understand you correctly, you're saying that you did not exclude such a possibility????
                You did not present it as a possibility; in fact you said:
                I can't imagine how a woman, let’s say in her early twenties can be really attracted to or in love with someone 30 years her senior (unless there are some other interests playing a major role or he is a Donald Trump! )?
                Your statement implies that only such interests may explain. Not only you're denying the sincerity of the feelings of many; but, also, disfiguring their moral values: some of us believe in moral values that exclude the pursuit of wealth by all means.
                Last edited by Siamanto; 05-20-2007, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by karoaper View Post
                  Well, thanks for taking the whole fun out of it, Mr. Personal Choice.

The joy of fulfilling a dream and seeing tears of joy in your Mother's eye is not enough? You also want to experience the fun of imposing it upon others?
                  Last edited by Siamanto; 05-20-2007, 02:21 PM.

Comment

For clarity and transparency, it's always a good practice to have explicit references and quotations. Regardless, I had and continue to have the impression that you have oversimplified and a bit "characterized" what others have said i.e. you made them sound as "dreamers.".

I’ll make this part short; I did not oversimplify or characterize anything; I just gave an overall view of their common thoughts on this issue, except yours that was a bit different and the reason why I did not include it. Maybe you need to re-read the previous posts; most of them more-or-less were in agreement on this particular issue (that age doesn’t matter).

You seem to believe - and think - that age is linear and confusing it with chronological age - i.e. time since the birth of the person. That is a very narrow minded understanding of age that may be true of only collectivities - i.e. in average - but not individuals.
                    Some of chose to live as individuals.

You assumed wrong. No, “my” understanding of age could be/could not be linear and that depends on the individual, but for instance, in a relationship leading to marriage (union) and a bigger family, yes, chronological age does count.
                    No, individuals do not necessarily age in a linear manner for which you listed some reasons; nonetheless, as sad as it might sound, aging doesn’t go without certain biological changes, which may lead to changes concerning the mood, the needs or … ‘The inner young man’ here is not capable of controlling such issues.

Many feel the same - or are conditioned or indoctrinated or pressured to feel the same - and I respect your feelings and everybody "should." However, that is a personal feeling - not even a choice - so highly subjective and should not be considered as rational and be suggested as a universal guideline for other individuals.
                    LOL I was not aware that you were so influenced by the American beliefs and values????

Neither pressured, nor indoctrinated, it is just a feeling.

LOL, and could you explain how you came to the assumption that I was “influenced” by American “values”??? Is it because I’m not ‘interested’ in a 60 year old??

Because their experience has been documented. Are you suggesting that they lied about their feelings? If that is the case, then again it is unfair and utterly disrespectful.
                    I just checked and found out that Colette’s age difference with Willy (her first husband) was about 15 years old which is not that big. My talk is not about her likes.

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that you did not exclude such a possibility????
                    You did not present it as a possibility; in fact you said:

Your statement implies that only such interests may explain. Not only you're denying the sincerity of the feelings of many; but, also, disfiguring their moral values: some of us believe in moral values that exclude the pursuit of wealth by all means.

I do not exclude the possibility that they may be in a relationship for certain interest, do you?? I’m disfiguring their moral values?? Well, because I doubt if they have any, on this issue (according to what I have seen). Most of such cases I have encountered (till now) have given me that impression. And as you said, some of us believe in moral values.
                    Last edited by Lucin; 05-21-2007, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Is the intent of your message to make sure that everyone clearly sees that you are not the perceptive one????
                      Only based on how YOU define maturity.

Comment

Working...
                      X