Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Nakhichevan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nakhichevan

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
    I bet nobody who has lived there has ever called it "Nakhichevan".

you can take it from me that west Armenians call it that!
    Նախիջևան is pronounced Nakhichevan in west Armenian
    Last edited by lampron; 08-18-2010, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Azerbaijan's destruction of thousands of khachkars in Jugha (Julfa) is one of the most blatant acts of cultural genocide in recent years, anywhere in the world.

Yet Azerbaijan's friends in the western media have mostly kept silent about this terrible crime

Comment

There is a lot of information in my thread on Nakhijevan (named: Nakhidjevan Ethnic Cleanings History) at the website below; posted by different people:

Google search easily locates it by its name as a first choice.

http://+.com/index.php?showtopic=14236&st=220
        Replace the + sign above with H y e f o r u m to enter the website.
        Last edited by gegev; 08-19-2010, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lampron View Post
          you can take it from me that west Armenians call it that!
          Նախիջևան is pronounced Nakhichevan in west Armenian
          Because they learned the name from its printed form found in 19thC Armenian books.
          Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by lampron View Post
            Azerbaijan's destruction of thousands of khachkars in Jugha (Julfa) is one of the most blatant acts of cultural genocide in recent years, anywhere in the world.

Yet Azerbaijan's friends in the western media have mostly kept silent about this terrible crime
            It is actually the Armenian government that wants the incident hushed-up / kept silent (Azerbaijan simply says it never happened). Armenia refused to provide diplomatic representation when a delegation went to UNESCO, which delayed the meeting from taking place for many months, diminished the influence of the delegation, and hinted to UNESCO that Armenia did not want UNESCO to make too much of the incident. Armenia is currently refusing to provide diplomatic support in the ongoing effort to get the EU to pass a motion condemning the destruction.

Also, what journalist is going to cover a story when he can't even get a straight answer to the question "where was the graveyard located and what is the place called" and is not provided with proper sources or even the most basic of press releases.
            Last edited by bell-the-cat; 08-19-2010, 02:00 PM.
            Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by Hellektor View Post
              I still am looking for the origin and the meaning of the name Nakhjavan, the point and the purpose of my post which are CLEARLY obvious if the post is actually READ. The European distortions of the name are known to me, I can also read encyclopedias and prints on maps, that absofokkenlutely is not what I am looking for. Those who are ignorant of the origin and the meaning of the name Nakhjavan are not invited to comment or piss around the bush.
              I'm sorry Hellektor, but the names Bell mentioned are new to me, and are useful for linguistic inquiry into how the name might've changed phonologically overtime and how it was named by different groups. What I want to know is who those European map makers asked for the pronunciation of the name of that region, in each case. Given how they've represented it with a latin alphabet and their own writing conventions, I do agree that there could be distortions in its representation, however... they can be filtered out if you know something about the language of the map makers, and the general consensus between all the forms harking to some "naxuan"-like origin.

The original meaning of Nakhjavan (in that form) might not exist, especially if it came from a 150AD form "Naxuana" which can very plausibly emerge overtime as Nakhjavan.
              Last edited by jgk3; 08-19-2010, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellektor View Post
                I still am looking for the origin and the meaning of the name Nakhjavan, the point and the purpose of my post which are CLEARLY obvious if the post is actually READ. The European distortions of the name are known to me, I can also read encyclopedias and prints on maps, that absofokkenlutely is not what I am looking for. Those who are ignorant of the origin and the meaning of the name Nakhjavan are not invited to comment or piss around the bush.
                The distortion in the name was done by Armenian writers (mostly clerics) to concoct a fake meaning for the name. European travellers from the 16th/17th/18thC wrote down the name they found the region's population actually using, and used the spelling they felt most accurately conveyed its pronounciation; they had no nationalist or religious agenda that would lead them to falsify place-names.

That's not to say travellers always wrote down correctly what they were told. There is a book by a European traveller from the 1870s that mentions him seeing a monastery called "Dudusa" near Sivas. That was always confusing to me because there is no monastery of that name, or any village called that name near Sivas. However, I later discovered that the name was actually "Tuzhisar" which must have been misheard by him as "Dudusa", and it is further complicated by the fact that "Tushisar" was the common name for the place used by its Armenian inhabitants - but in Armenian accounts it was given as its Armenian equivalent "Aghdt", which the villagers had stopped using centuries earlier.
                Last edited by bell-the-cat; 08-19-2010, 02:09 PM.
                Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
                  The distortion in the name was done by Armenian writers (mostly clerics) to concoct a fake meaning for the name. European travellers from the 16th/17th/18thC wrote down the name they found the region's population actually using, and used the spelling they felt most accurately conveyed its pronounciation; they had no nationalist or religious agenda that would lead them to falsify place-names.

That's not to say travellers always wrote down correctly what they were told. There is a book by a European traveller from the 1870s that mentions him seeing a monastery called "Dudusa" near Sivas. That was always confusing to me because there is no monastery of that name, or any village called that name near Sivas. However, I later discovered that the name was actually "Tuzhisar" which must have been misheard by him as "Dudusa", and it is further complicated by the fact that "Tushisar" was the common name for the place used by its Armenian inhabitants - but in Armenian accounts it was given as its Armenian equivalent "Aghdt", which the villagers had stopped using centuries earlier.
                  WOW, what a promoter of Turkish propaganda you are. Good job kitty, no go jump from a tree and die.

Comment

Levon, I agree with bell. I guess that makes me another promoter of turkish propaganda.
                    Last edited by jgk3; 08-19-2010, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
                      Levon, I agree with bell. I guess that makes me another promoter of turkish propaganda.
                      When Bell posts concrete evidence supporting his hypothesis, then I will humbly apologize and take away that title. In the mean time, if you believe the same, yet have no evidence to back it up, I would say it makes you a promoter of turkish propaganda as well.

Now, you make what you want out of it, but unless you have evidence to support yourself, keep ideas (that may help promote turkish propaganda efforts) to self, as they will be used by others to hurt Armenia.

Comment

Working...
                      X