Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Originally posted by armo12 View Post
    Can anyone identify this AK variant? Looks like a modded ak-74m or an ak-12 or an as-300(made by aspar arms)

Comment

Originally posted by Hakob View Post
      Haykakan Jan military take over is not comparable to political chaos which can happen if country continues deteriorating in the hands of current political entities. This continuation may lead to the worst scenario regarding our neighbors and us.
      Military take over may on the contrary, strengthen our defenses and national unity.
      I know, any putsch is a hard to swallow pill. But that may become the only choice.
      Armenia has 4 billion debt and growing. There may be a moment the country will become insolvent and austerity imposed by our creditors. That could lead to total collapse and flight out of Armenia.

Hakob, can you name one instance where a military take over ended well in any country? I am seriously asking because every example I can think things end up as bad or worse than they were.

Comment

Originally posted by HajiHabibli View Post
        Hakob, can you name one instance where a military take over ended well in any country? I am seriously asking because every example I can think things end up as bad or worse than they were.
        You are right that majority of coups have had dictators establishing their power. Military's involvements were in form of supporting such coups, sometimes having split and opposite allegiances.
        But there are fiew in which military took power and responsibility in restoring order and ensuring survival of country.
        Here are some examples.
        Number one is our neigbour turkey. For over 70 years the military has stepped in restoring order several times after political and fractional chaos has threatened country, since ataturk turned tables for a looser country that would otherwise dissolve and allmost dissapear. ( and by the way Erdogan's push to power consolidation started with purging military and ensuring it cannot interfere in islamising the constitution, and turkey is becoming more and more destabilized).
        De Gaulle's coming to power in France and restoration and transformation from failing former empire to democracy. Even Napoleon Bonaparte's take over in 1799 led to reunification and stimulus in pushing France to a superpower status of the day.
        Of course these events have been based on initiatives of militaries.

The only problem in any military putsch arises if military tries to keep power longer than necessary in changing government or pushes forward a figure that becomes a dictator.
        But again majority of coup detats have been involved militaries but most of the times as means or tools in hands of future dictators, not as carriers of national ideas or visions.

In our case, I am basing my optimism on the fact that our current military core is still veteran freedom fighters and patriots.
        In a very short time, maybe 10 years it might change to regular military beurocratic establishment and we cannot hope of any good input.
        But now, my hope is our military can somehow reverse the oligarchic power hold. Maybe not by putsch as to speak of, but some way.
        I do not see a change coming from government itself, or from any opposition visible today.
        But the change is very necessary today. Tomorrow it may be late.
        Last edited by Hakob; 06-11-2016, 08:40 PM.

Comment

You are right that majority of coups have had dictators establishing their power. Military's involvements were in form of supporting such coups, sometimes having split and opposite allegiances.
          But there are fiew in which military took power and responsibility in restoring order and ensuring survival of country.
          Here are some examples.
          Number one is our neigbour turkey. For over 70 years the military has stepped in restoring order several times after political and fractional chaos has threatened country, since ataturk turned tables for a looser country that would otherwise dissolve and allmost dissapear. ( and by the way Erdogan's push to power consolidation started with purging military and ensuring it cannot interfere in islamising the constitution, and turkey is becoming more and more destabilized).
          De Gaulle's coming to power in France and restoration and transformation from failing former empire to democracy. Even Napoleon Bonaparte's take over in 1799 led to reunification and stimulus in pushing France to a superpower status of the day.
          Of course these events have been based on initiatives of militaries.

The only problem in any military putsch arises if military tries to keep power longer than necessary in changing government or pushes forward a figure that becomes a dictator.
          But again majority of coup detats have been involved militaries but most of the times as means or tools in hands of future dictators, not as carriers of national ideas or visions.

In our case, I am basing my optimism on the fact that our current military core is still veteran freedom fighters and patriots.
          In a very short time, maybe 10 years it might change to regular military beurocratic establishment and we cannot hope of any good input.
          But now, my hope is our military can somehow reverse the oligarchic power hold. Maybe not by putsch as to speak of, but some way.
          I do not see a change coming from government itself, or from any opposition visible today.
          But the change is very necessary today. Tomorrow it may be late.

de gaulle did come to power via a coup, but it wasn't the military taking control for a period of time. it would be for lack of a better example, the military staging a coup to install ter petrosyan or kocharian as persident. and napoleon's example is outdated and irrelevant.

i will concede the turkish example, but (as much as it pains me to say) turks have proven to be more patriotic than our current (post-soviet) class of military/political leadership.

Kocharian, Serj, Vazgen Sargsyan, Seryan Ohanyan were all freedom fighters and patriots...
          Last edited by HajiHabibli; 06-11-2016, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Comment

Haykakan Jan military take over is not comparable to political chaos which can happen if country continues deteriorating in the hands of current political entities. This continuation may lead to the worst scenario regarding our neighbors and us.
              Military take over may on the contrary, strengthen our defenses and national unity.
              I know, any putsch is a hard to swallow pill. But that may become the only choice.
              Armenia has 4 billion debt and growing. There may be a moment the country will become insolvent and austerity imposed by our creditors. That could lead to total collapse and flight out of Armenia.
              Hakop, debt is measured by comparing it to GDP. It should be somewhere between 40 to 60 percent of GDP. That's healthy. Anything over 60% is alarming. Countries like Greece and Lebanon have a debt to GDP ratio of above 100%.

Comment

This video does not address to Armenia specifically but applies to all

Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
                Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
                Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Առաջնագծի զինվորները

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
                      The main opposition parties are backed by foreign interests and that is why they are not convincing. Sure many people are trying to make good changes but the mainframe of the opposition is as corrupt as the ruling elites. I have not seen any opposition party that I could say I support. Ukraine is finding out that revolution does not mean better anything. I would say a putsch may not be a bad idea as the army is by far the most effective institution in the country. Winning wars is different than managing a country and the putsch would need to be followed by some transition to civilian led society. The problem is that we lack the strong institutions needed for such a society. I also agree that the system matters less than the motives of the leaders. The ruling elites in Armenia were never my idea of ideal leaders but if it meant security and prosperity I was ok with them for the time being. It seems both peace and prosperity are far from given now and the country has resumed its depopulation track. We are not the only ones who think this way and the arrival of the new-old cat in town from Russia is a sure sign of this. To save their arses the elites may revive a western push now as we have seen renewed talks with the eu. The elites were doing a good job of playing west vs east to their advantage for a while but their inability to improve conditions domestically has lead to a loss of confidence in them from Armenian society and also Russia. A putsch lead by the new cat and Ohanyan may produce positive results. It would not surprise me if the putsch already happened in a hushed manner. We will have to wait and see but I do like the way you think. We need to enhance Armenia's ability to pursue her own interests. If a putsch can achieve this then I am all for it.
                      Oh come on man..you spoke highly of the 'ruling elite' when they ditched the trade agreement with the EU and made us join the Russian-led Eurasian Union. It took you just one meeting with the EU ambassador in Armenia to end your love fest?

Comment

Working...
                      X