Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Rise of the Russian Empire: Russo-Armenian Relations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Rise of the Russian Empire: Russo-Armenian Relations

RUSSIA “BOOSTS” MILITARY PRESENCE IN CENTRAL ASIA

Russia’s plans to “reinforce” its airbase at Kant in the Kyrgyz Republic and further strengthen its 201st Motor Rifle Division (MRD) in Dushanbe, combined with other elements of boosting its defense cooperation with the Central Asian states, indicate evolving trends in the region’s security dynamics. The timing of such moves to raise Russia’s military profile in Central Asia, albeit through the use of minimal quantities of hardware, suggests that Moscow could be playing on concerns within these regimes about the outcome of the U.S. presidential elections, the future nature of American defense, and security cooperation on Russia’s southern periphery.

The earliest indication that the base at Kant might receive additional Russian reinforcements came from the head of the Russian Air Force (VVS) and was followed by wider political comment on its importance from within the CSTO. On June 4 Commander-in-Chief of the Russian Air Force Colonel-General Alexandr Zelin, announced plans to reinforce the base with more aircraft but was short on details. His statement centered on sending An-26 transport aircraft and three more Su-27 fighters to the base from the Krasnodar aviation school in Russia. On June 5 Secretary General of the CSTO Nikolai Bordyuzha suggested that the additional deployment of elements of the Russian Air Force to Kant could further establish Russia’s seriousness about strengthening the combat potential of the contingent based there, as well as give it greater importance. Kant, which opened in September 2003, has approximately 500 personnel. It is equipped with Russian Su-25, Su-27, An-24 and Il-76 aircraft, along with Mi-8 helicopters, and is supported by Czech-built L-39 training aircraft and helicopters, which Bishkek contributed for use in search and rescue operations (Kabar, June 4; ITAR-TASS, June 5).

Clearly, the additional deployment is not an attempt to build up forces or substantially alter the current structure of the base or achieve any meaningful increase in the combat capabilities of the CSTO airbase. It is, in fact, almost a token effort to increase the political significance Moscow attaches to the base. In order to define the nature of the trends in Russian security thinking on Central Asia, this must be evaluated in the context of Moscow’s wider efforts to “boost” its presence in neighboring Tajikistan, where there are signs of a similar pattern but with a little more flag waving. Bordyuzha himself made the linkage between these issues, commenting that “Russia deployed its 201st base in Tajikistan and the airbase at Kyrgyzstan’s Kant precisely for the purpose of giving greater security to the CSTO member countries in Central Asia.” Again, the “rearmament” of the base in Dushanbe, which had housed the 201st MRD prior to 9/11, serves largely as a way of providing emergency support for border forces on the Tajik-Afghan border and reveals a light-touch approach by the Russian military. It is equally noticeable, at a time of controversy and misunderstanding about the use of Russian armed forces in Abkhazia, that within Central Asia the style is less controversial and, in fact, is “low-key.” In the effort to strengthen the 201st base in Dushanbe, the delivery of Russian military hardware has been slowed down by delays caused in transiting the equipment through neighboring Uzbekistan. Bordyuzha believes these technical and logistical issues will soon be resolved, allowing the successful completion by the set deadline (ITAR-TASS, June 5).

Noteworthy was the recent visit to the region of Deputy U.S. Secretary of State on Eurasia David Merkel. He emphasized the continued importance of Central Asia to the United States, noting that when President George W. Bush announced the new national security strategy in 2006, Central Asia was designated as an area of permanent foreign policy interest for Washington. However, in an interview with Gazeta publishing house, Merkel explained, “We have many issues on the desk concerning Central Asia; they include diversification of global energy sources, combating terrorism, preserving security, ensuring sustainable development and promoting justice and democracy.” Democracy has slipped down the agenda, reflecting longer-term trends in the region and in Russia that the U.S. can do little to change (Gundogar, June 4).

Changes in how the West formulates policy toward Central Asia seem inevitable. On June 2 Uzbek President Islom Karimov welcomed U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asian Affairs Richard Boucher in Tashkent. Both sides are intensifying their efforts to heal the bilateral relationship, both countries’ agendas for bilateral cooperation are moving closer together. Karimov told Boucher, “Your visit to Uzbekistan will produce good results and will give a new impetus to strengthening relations between Uzbekistan and the United States. Indeed, your visit to Uzbekistan is a wonderful opportunity to discuss the current state of affairs in our relations and the level of our relations and to consider the issues that require discussing in terms of the interests of Uzbekistan and the U.S.” (Uzbek Television Second Channel, June 2).

When Russia “boosts” its military presence or offers additional security support in Central Asia, it does so after careful planning, consultation and through multilateral mechanisms, such as the CSTO, which supply an added sense of legitimacy for all parties. In reality, inside the planning staffs of the defense and security structures in Central Asian CSTO member states, there is little appetite for questioning Russia’s motives or attempting to misconstrue such actions. The relationship is reasonably stable and works in practical terms. Moscow does not need to set in motion any grand schemes in order to convince its Central Asian allies that it takes issues relating to their security and the security of Russia itself seriously. The slow, steady approach has essentially paid off, serving to build trust and dispel speculation about hidden agendas.

Source: http://jamestown.org/edm/article.php?article_id=2373132
    Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post

During the first ten years after the Soviet collapse, the West tried very hard to destroy Russia from within, and they tried very hard to make China totally dependent on the West economically. However, this global geopolitical agenda of the West has failed. As a matter of fact, it has been in reversal for about five-ten years now. Nevertheless, the resulting global powder-keg is about to explode. The hot spots to closely watch are South America (Colombia-Venezuela), Balkans (Serbia-Albania), Southeast Asia (China-Taiwan), Central Asia (Iran-Afghanistan-Pakistan), the entire Middle East and the entire Caucasus region.
      But how's Iran in "Central Asia"?? Or even Afghanistan or Pakistan? Are there different definitions for this geographical region?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
        But how's Iran in "Central Asia"?? Or even Afghanistan or Pakistan? Are there different definitions for this geographical region?
        I said Central Asia in the heat of the moment. I said it for a lack of a better term. I may have misspoken. I tend to do that sometimes when I'm up late at night, typing fast while a number of other things are going through my mind, not the least of which are my domestic and professional obligations. However, I have seen the general region of Iran-Afghanistan-Pakistan referred to as Southwest Asia, South Asia and Central Asia. I don't think the territory in question is clearly defined simply due to the fluid nature of the complex geopolitical climate of the region. To me, personally, the whole region in question is Central Asia. I do realize, however, that the former Soviet republics of "Central Asia" have more-or-less secured the name in question. In any case, I apologize if I offended you in any way.

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

The voice of Russia, Russia Today, is now broad casted live throughout the world twenty-four hours a day seven days a week. Russia Today has been on the airways presenting the "Russian point of view" in English since 2005. Russia Today is meant to provide the global viewer with an alternative news source and a different perspective in geopolitics while countering the often negative coverage the Russian Federation receives within western news media. Interested individuals can either obtain Russia Today's programming by contacting their cable or satellite television providers or via the internet (see link below) where they will be able to view Russia Today streaming live free of charge. I have been watching Russia Today regularly for some time now. I personally think it is perhaps one of the finest English language news outlets in the world today. In this age of corporate controlled news media in the West, the official voice of Russia Today feels like a breath of fresh air.

Armenian

RUSSIA TODAY

Russia Today Live Television: http://streaming.visionip.tv/Russia_Today

“All too often, the view of Russia does not correspond to reality: information on Russia is either distorted or incomplete or just nonsense.”

Russia Today Editor-in-Chief, Margarita Simonyan

Corporate profile

Russia Today

Russia Today is the first 24/7 English-language news channel to present the Russian point of view on events happening in Russia and around the globe. The channel was established in April 2005 by the Autonomous Nonprofit Organization TV-Novosti. Its founder is the Russia’s biggest news agency RIA-Novosti. Around the clock, RT provides viewers with breaking news, stories on politics, business, and public affairs. Millions of viewers switch on to Russia Today to learn what other media are not likely to have, especially news from Russia, Eastern Europe and Central Asia. A selection of the best news reports, documentaries, stories and programmes can be viewed at YouTube.

Achievements

Russia Today started broadcasting in December 2005. Since then, RT has earned the respect of its viewers and fellow journalists all over the world for its commitment to independent journalism. Russia Today is the founding Russian member of The Association for International Broadcasting, an independent non-for-profit organization designed to promote effective cooperation between the leading international broadcasters and professional associations. The channel’s reports are quoted by the major media. The largest Russian and world broadcasters regularly show Russia Today’s exclusive footage. Among Russia Today’s indisputable achievements are fast and high-quality direct coverage of crucial events, as well as exclusive interviews with high-ranking personalities, leading economists, politicians, and prominent figures in culture, art, and sports.

Team

More than 700 Russian and foreign TV professionals – correspondents, anchors, presenters, producers, translators, cameramen, editors, directors form the team that keep the channel moving. Russia Today’s own correspondents report from Russia’s regions, the countries of the former Soviet Union, Europe, the US and the Middle East. The channel has correspondents’ bureaus in Kiev, Vladikavkaz, Tbilisi, London, Paris, Washington, New York, Jerusalem and Cairo and is developing plans to increase its presence in other regions of the world. Among others the team includes Peter Lavelle, a well-known political commentator; Aleksandr Gurnov, one of the pillars of Russia’s new television; Kevin Owen and Bill Dod, formerly employees of leading UK TV companies; George Watts, the legendary Radio Moscow presenter whose voice is familiar to generations of listeners; Rosie Hayes whose editing gift helped several world television networks become number one in the field and many others.

Broadcasting

Millions of viewers have an opportunity to watch Russia Today on all continents by receiving an open, non-coded signal from more than ten satellites. It can also be viewed 24 hours a day on the Internet. The channel is available on the main satellite platforms, including SKY (UK), Canalsat (France), Canal Digitaal (The Netherlands), Viasat (Northern Europe), Digital+ (Spain), Cyfra+ (Poland), Multichoice South Africa (South Africa), as well as on cable networks in practically every country of Europe. Nearly 90 million pay TV viewers in Europe, North America and South Africa regularly watch Russia Today. In Russia the channel can be received as part of NTV-PLUS, Cosmos TV, Comstar, Acado and Tvoe TV packages.

Technical Capacities

Russia Today uses state-of-the-art production technologies to secure high-quality reception at the level of world standards. The technical solution is based on tapeless DV25 standard technologies application.

Russia Today Website: http://www.russiatoday.ru/

Նժդեհ

Comment

Unknown to many, the editor-in-chief of the English language news agency called Russia Today (Russia's version of CNN) is a very capable (and very pretty) young women named Margarita Simonyan. Simonyan is said to be the youngest head of any major news establishment. Needless to say, as a result of her highly sensitive position in Russia Today Simonyan also holds a very influential position in Moscow. Highly influential Armenians in Russia like Chilingarov, Abrahamian, Lavrov, Poghosyan, Simonyan and many other like them exemplify precisely what I mean when I say Armenians of Russia are a great "strategic" asset to the Armenian Republic regardless of whether or not they are assimilated. I would even dare to say that within the Armenian diaspora Russia is unique in that "assimilated" Armenians there can and do positively impact the Armenian Republic better than the un-assimilated ones. I would like to see more Armenians becoming an integral part of Russia's national fabric.

Armenian

Russia Today is the face of Russia today

Margarita Simonyan – Editor-in-Chief of Russia Today. At 26, in the world today, she is the youngest head of a global news and entertainment TV channel. In the past year formerly vocal critics of the channel have been replaced by a more balanced discussion about what type of news an English-speaking audience expects from a Russian information channel broadcasting only in English. Our Editor Jeremy Noble interviewed Margarita Simonyan in her office, on the one-year anniversary of Russia Today. (The interview naturally was in English).

Do you think that it is accurate to say that Russia Today is the face of Russia today? I mean by this, that the channel presents a very professional, very polished and very articulate image of Russia.

We are aiming to become the face of Russia today. We want to be the first, the best, the quickest, the most aware TV channel talking about Russia and the CIS. We want people to trust us, when they want to know about Russia, we want them to watch Russia Today,

As the Editor-in-Chief do you see yourself as being somehow part of what we are calling the face of Russia Today?

I am not the face of Russia today as a channel; we have many handsome and beautiful presenters who can claim to be the face of the channel. I feel myself a part of my country but no, the channel is not about me.

Do you then see yourself as being only one part of a large team?

Yes. We are all in the same boat, Russians and foreigners. I am proud of my team, I trust them; they are all dedicated people who are ‘into’ this channel, who know ‘what the story is about.’ There are no ‘accidental people’ here, as we call them in Russia. It doesn’t matter if they are Russians or foreigners. My parentage is 100% Armenian, although my parents themselves were brought up in Russia. I too was born and brought up in Russia. My motherland is Russia, no matter that I have not one drop of Russian blood.

How would you present on Russia Today, say, a conflict that might arise between Armenia and Russia which might affect you on a personal level?

I have only been to Armenia once, on an official delegation accompanying President Putin. What you see is dependent upon where you stand. A sophisticated Cambridge-educated Englishman will see Russia but won’t feel her. But if you were born and brought up in a distant provincial region, and felt with all your inner being the ‘90s in Russia, the end of the USSR, you would feel your country in a different way. When you have experienced a country’s history like that, you understand.

Can I ask you please more about your upbringing. You were born in Krasnodar and educated there. In the 10th Class you went on an exchange programme to the US; how was that visit important for you?

It was 1995 to 1996. I was fifteen, the age when your views on life are being formed. When I was in the US I came to better appreciate life in Russia. At the same time I got into American habits and beliefs, large and small. Small beliefs can be important, for thinking about other people. I will give you an example; when I am driving in Moscow and I see that people are trying to cross the road, I stop; that is not a very Russian characteristic. About beliefs, you have to start with yourself. If you want to fight corruption, then you have to stop the cheating in the classroom.

Would you say that you have a Western work ethic?

In Russia Today there are things that we do in a Russian way, and others which can be called ‘Western.’ You received your higher education at Kuban State University, and then at the Television School of Vladimir Pozner. Pozner is perhaps the most famous example of a Russian media personality who is equally at home in both Russia and the West.

Do you see yourself in that same way, I mean, as someone who understands and is comfortable in both those ‘worlds’?

I am comfortable in both of them, yes; understand the West just as well as I understand Russia, no. I don’t think that one can say that one fully understands a foreign country, the West. I won’t claim that I understand any other country as well as I know Russia.

You have had a very varied and interesting career, with periods of journalism ‘in the field’ and a stint as Kremlin correspondent for Rossiya TV channel. How is that background important for being the Editor-in-Chief of Russia Today?

I think that what we are talking about is balance. It makes it much easier for me to talk to people who work with me, with the experience I have. It would be impossible to be a part of my team without those two types of experience. I understand my colleagues when they are in the field and when they are in the Kremlin.

What is the difference between ‘field’ journalism and ‘red carpet’ journalism?

The difference is that it is difficult to make ‘red carpet’ journalism interesting for viewers. In the field, in Beslan, for example, it is not difficult; you have action, background, everything is there. But you have to show that ‘red carpet’ reporting is also just as important; the decisions you might be talking about could be affecting millions of people. You have to find a common language with the audience. Sometimes a journalist will call me and ask, “Margarita, how am I going to write this story?I always try to suggest a personal angle, “how does this situation affect a typical family?”

It sounds as if you have a very approachable management style?

I try to. I do not want to be sitting behind closed doors.

President Putin sent flowers to you on your twenty-fifth birthday. Clearly the President thinks highly of you; how does this high regard affect your work?

(Laughing) That question! I was at a press conference, where President Putin was talking with the President of Tajikistan. It was my twenty-fifth birthday, which is a special anniversary. The other journalists were talking about it, the President heard them, and that was how I received the flowers. It was very spontaneous. I don’t think that you can call it a presidential high regard. Don’t you think that the President has more important things to think about? Like all of the other heads of TV channels, we meet at celebrations. I understand that the President watches the channel and I hope that he likes it.

You are twenty-six; that is very young to be the head of a major TV channel. Do you think that your youth is one of the reasons why the President picked you for the job?

Do you seriously believe that the President personally chooses an editor for Russia Today? (laughing). To be young and ambitious is nothing unusual. But yes, even for Russia, that is young. Having said that, you will know yourself how young the senior managers of companies can be in Russia. My youth, I agree, is important. My generation does not have old stereotypes about the West. I was eleven when the Soviet Union broke up. We had the chance to travel, to see with our own eyes. We are not suspicious about everything that comes from the West. This is an advantage; it allows me and my generation to be more open and objective. Just because somebody does something differently doesn’t mean that it is wrong.

You are a Russian woman with a high-powered job. In Russia there are not so many women who have made it to the top of the tree in their chosen profession. Do you see yourself as somehow breaking the mould of traditional Russian society?

(Laughing) I hear many top managers telling me that women are more reliable than men. (Pause). It is not that women cannot achieve what they want to achieve in Russia; it is only that in Russia, less women than in Europe want to have a career. For example, here at the station we have had situations where very talented and promising women have decided to take a long break in their career because they have had babies.

Do you see yourself as a role model for other ambitious Russian women?

I can’t talk about people I do not know; but I can say that many of my friends do not want to work such long hours as I do.

Let us talk about Russia Today. You have been quoted as saying that you did not want to move away from the programming format used, for example, by CNN, Euronews and BBC News. How, then, is Russia Today different from these other channels?

It is not about format; it is about content. It is about looking at things from other perspectives. We pay more attention to the regions in Russia, for example, which are not covered by the other channels. We don’t want to cover only what everybody else is covering. We do cover, obviously, for example, the death of Litvinenko, what we call the headlines; but at the same time we are always trying to find what nobody else is talking about. We want to go beyond that, deeper. We look at conflicts in Georgia, elections in Ukraine, something more detailed. We wouldn’t exist without the details; they are what make us different.

Why does Russia today need a Russia Today?

Well, because until recently Russia did not have a way of speaking to the world. Russia needs a visual voice. Take, for example, a person who is interested in Russia, but doesn’t speak Russian, he could not know what is happening in Russia, which is not right. France has France 24, the Arab world has Al Jazeerah; now Russia has Russia Today. We want our audience to trust us, to believe that what they are seeing is what we have seen with our own eyes. The image that we broadcast is not coming from something we have read or copied, but is based upon what we have seen, or experienced. We are looking through native Russian eyes, and speaking what we see.

You have been quoted as saying that you are not translating Russian news into english, but that you are writing and broadcasting in english as a first language. Can you please explain what you mean by this?

We hold meetings in English here at the station; we run the station in English; the cameramen and technicians are speaking to presenters in English. In other departments, for example the legal department, we are working in Russian. As far as Russia Today as a channel is concerned, we don’t merely polish to a high gloss, or mirror and report second-hand information; we explain what is happening in Russia because we want our audience to understand. We cannot expect our audience to know about Russia a priori as a native Russian; we have to always ask ourselves how much information our audience might have already, before we begin; but at the same time we are not going to explain about Ivan the Terrible. We expect that our audience switches on because they already have an interest. That said, we are learning about our audience. Russian TV channels are only broadcasting for Russians. They know their audience. As yet, we do not know our audience, when it is coming from all over the world; say from Iowa, or Japan, but we will.

You said also in a recent interview that, “we are not translating Dostoevsky.” what did you mean?

We are not translating words, we are translating a country.

Do you think of your job as being in any way political?

Let me think about it. No. And I wouldn’t like us to be political; we want to stick to pure journalism. But it is easy to be tricked into politics nowadays by a slick PR campaign which you can mistake for the truth. We have to be careful as a channel.

Source: http://www.passportmagazine.ru/article/618/

Նժդեհ

Comment

Medvedev thanks Chirac for improving Franco-Russian relations

President Dmitry Medvedev conferred a Russian state award on former French president Jacques Chirac on Thursday, and thanked him for his contribution to humanitarian work and to improving ties with Russia. Medvedev led a state award ceremony in the Kremlin on Russia Day, which marks the June 12, 1990 declaration of sovereignty by the Russian Soviet Republic's parliament, a key step toward the breakup of the Soviet Union. Medvedev said: "I am sincerely glad to welcome Mr. Chirac to the Kremlin. His Russian Federation State Award is a recognition of his outstanding achievements in humanitarian work." "His enormous personal contribution to integration processes in Europe and the development of Russian-French relations is well known," Medvedev said.

Source: http://www.daylife.com/photo/072zczF...edvedev_Chirac

Նժդեհ

Comment

Russia Today is the face of Russia today

Interesting clips to watch on "Russia Today"....

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Russia's Best-known Investment Banker, Ruben Vardanian, on Building Trust in a Fast-moving World
                  Published: June 11, 2008

"Troika Dialog is the oldest and largest private investment bank in Russia, with core lines of business in capital markets, investment banking, asset management and alternative investments. Ruben Vardanian has been chairman of the board of directors and CEO of the Troika Dialog Group since 1992. The company was founded in 1991. Born in Yerevan, the capital of Armenia, Vardanian graduated from Moscow State University in 1992, and completed post-graduate training with BANCA CRT in Turin, Italy, and Merrill Lynch's Emerging Markets Training Program in New York City. In 2006, he became the founding president of Moscow School of Management Skolkovo. Wharton management professors Valery Yakubovich and Michael Useem spoke with Vardanian about entrepreneurship and education in Russia. An edited version of the conversation follows.

Yakubovich: Where did Troika Dialog come from?

Ruben Vardanian: I was a student in Moscow University's economics department in 1990 when everybody realized something was going to change in our country. I said to myself, "We are changing from one system to another system. Which element are we missing?" That's when the government planning system was replaced by the financial system's markets. I said, "It's a new industry, and nobody knows what will happen and how the markets will develop, but the Russian financial industry will be like a normal international industry."

I wanted to do something around this, and my vision was very simple: Russia will become part of the global world. Foreign investors will invest in Russia. We need to find out how to provide services to them, because they need us to understand what's going on in Russia, and there are not so many people who can do that. It was not just a question of knowing English. There was also a mental difference [to explain to clients], especially in Russia in the 1990s.

I was young, and I saw I had a unique opportunity, because international businesses are built around reputation and professional skills, not around your political assets or capital assets, which I didn't have any access to at that time. I said to myself, "I can build the right company with the right vendors." This is one of the basic principles I used in the beginning.

Yakubovich: How did Troika Dialog capture that vision?

Vardanian: We put forward three principles in 1991, which continue today in our business. They are all very simple, nothing scientific. First, we said we are long-term oriented, which was quite unusual in Russia, especially at that time. For example, we are the only ones in Russia who hired Coopers & Lybrand [now PricewaterhouseCoopers] in 1991 to perform an international audit confirming our losses in the first year. That was the kind of long-term commitment we made to ourselves and our industry. We did lots of things people did not usually do in Russia in the 1990s. We ran the company using international standards, not benchmarking ourselves against [companies] around us in Russia.

The second principle says we are a client-service company. It's unusual to explain in Russia that you are a client-service company, because client service was never a key aspect of our country; industrial production was the key.... Our proprietary position was very small [at that time], and I continued telling my people, "We are servicing the client." It's a very important point, which again, in the 1990s, was not so obvious when everything was unstable, and nobody cared about the client.

The third principle was this: I said to myself, "I want to respect myself, and I want to respect my people, my country, my competitors, my clients." So I want to build this respect, and I want people to enjoy working together. It took us a lot of effort to convince people to trust each other in business, because the level of trust in Russia in the 1990s was very low, when the old system collapsed. Building a partnership in Russia, where nobody believed in partnership, was a challenge.

I wanted to change that perception, that you can trust a 24-year-old Armenian guy and operate in a professional, international way. I think it was good motivation for all of us to try to convince people this was possible.

Useem: So having built Troika Dialog from the start, you created a skill set, but when you took over the former Soviet insurance company, Rosgosstrakh, presumably you needed a different set of leadership tools. What were the similarities and differences in the leadership styles you used for both organizations?

Vardanian: It was a very unique experience for me. This former Soviet company had 30 million clients and 1,000 employees, and the average age [of employees] was 53. The company had basically lost its market; it was close to bankruptcy and it was alive only because the government allowed it to be. It was a challenge for us, saying to ourselves and others, "We believe it can be recovered," while other people said, "There is no chance." So we had to change perceptions.

It was important to say, from the first day, what is the goal? What will be our rules of internal relationships? What will be our channels of communication? What will be our motivation and compensation system? It was very different from Troika. I will be honest; it was challenging for me to understand that the system of partnership [we used in Troika], the system of collegial consent, didn't work [in Rosgosstrakh.] It was organized much more like an army or a bureaucratic system. At Troika I have a meeting every Monday morning with all my colleagues, and we know everybody personally. At Rosgosstrakh, it was different. People worked in other regions of Russia, and they didn't know each other at all.

But what I did was the same. I traveled a lot, and I remember I went to one of the biggest cities in Siberia, Krasnoyarsk. The director there said it was the first time in the 85-year history of the company that the general director came to that office, and it was not a small city.

I took the whole management team to travel around all of Russia's regions, trying to explain what we were doing and how we would do it. I remember the business planning process: It took me two months, with my management committee members spending all weekend with each region, going line by line with them. They were shocked when they saw the level of communication and commitment from our side.

The key element was committing ourselves fully to the ambition of being number one. And it happened very quickly. When I came to work with Rosgosstrakh, it had $200 million in premium collections a year, for a company with 30 million clients. When I left in two-and-a-half years' time, it was $1.3 billion in premium collection. Of course the market was much more favorable then; it was a good market. But it was interesting for me to learn that even with a different system and different people, you can continue if you have a clear goal and a clear vision, and you are constantly delivering what you promised.

It is a long process: It's still not over. My partner who worked with me at the time has continued struggling to change the company, and I think he's doing great. But I see what is possible to achieve even in old Soviet-system institutions, just by building trust and constantly delivering on that trust.

Yakubovich: You said you wanted to build Troika Dialog as a clean, trust-based business, and it seems like that effort was recognized pretty quickly.

Vardanian: I think it was seven or eight years, so not very quickly.

Yakubovich: Maybe for Russian standards that is a long period, but here I think it is very fast in terms of how you managed to establish yourself. To many observers, you proved that a businessman in Russia doesn't need to be a criminal; at least, here in the West, that stereotype exists. Did you face pressure to become a criminal, and if so, what skills did you use to deal with those pressures?

Vardanian: First of all, I want to say I'm not an angel, and I live in Russia, where everything is transforming, and I have not done everything perfectly. But I am proud I have continued to live, all 17 years, without bodyguards, never fearing that my life or my family's lives are in danger. I always know I can become more transparent, more public; for example, I always pay my taxes immediately. In the 1990s that was difficult because you paid cash salaries to people. Otherwise you'd be out of the market.

What standards you set is always your choice. I remember in 1993, we didn't have too much revenue, and one of my sales people came to my office and said, "Ruben, we have a couple of clients who want to get from us a guaranteed return, around 50%." Other banks were providing 300% or 600% return at that time because there was huge inflation and everybody was promising that. But these clients were asking for only 50%. I said, "We can never guarantee a return -- even at 50%."

Looking back today, that seems easy to say, but at the time it was quite tough. We didn't know if we would have money to pay salaries at that time. But I knew it would be wrong, and I knew sooner or later we would be paid back for it. This is why you need to have a dream. You need to have a vision. You need to understand why you're saying "no." You need to understand what kind of things you will do and what kind of things you will not do.

It's very important to be honest with yourself and with your colleagues. Again, people ask me often about the mafia or the government. I can tell you: Seventeen years I've been in business in Russia, dealing with lots of cash, and we never had any people who came to us with crime, and we never had any tax police problems. Part of it is, in the early days, we didn't make too much money. Honestly, if you compare us with some of our competitors in that period, we were not very well known; we were not even number two. I think we've always looked like strange people doing strange things at the wrong time. A client once told me, "Ruben, you're a smart person, but you're doing the wrong things. Now is the time to take assets, not plan for the long-term."

It's very important to believe inside yourself that ethical behavior will pay you back. The 1998 default was very difficult for me, not because we lost money, but because I realized how it would impact society, how people would leave Russia. You can't screw everybody and not think about the long run. It was a very difficult time for me to manage.

Useem: When you joined Troika back in 1991, you were age 22, so you did not have a lot of experience, either in Russian industry or in banking. In major Russian companies these days, I understand there is still a tendency to avoid hiring managers over age 40 because they had come of age in the state-run economy and couldn't adjust to the demands of the free market. Yet last year you hired a new bank executive director, Andrei Sharonov, who was in his 40s and had worked for most of his life for the government. Could you talk about these generation gaps and how you put people of different ages to work at Troika?

Vardanian: I started working at Troika when I was 22, and I was one of the youngest people; I think the average age then was 27, 28. Now Troika has 1,500 people working for it, but the average age continues to be 27, 28, and I am now one of the older people, close to 40.

But I believe the Troika model is still correct. I've always hired people with a high experience level. I was very lucky to get good managers. I got people who trusted me, who liked my ideas and who then brought in much more experience than I had. They came from Wall Street and McKinsey and different industries, and they have been my mentors and partners. I learned a lot by working with people with gray hair: In fact, it's a very good combination.

One of the elements of Troika's success has been multiculturalism. We always have 30 to 40 nationalities working in the local company. So we've always worked with people of different ages and cultures. One of my biggest challenges has been how to bridge the culture differences so we can accept each other and work together. Because we always had two models. One was the Russian company saying, "These Westerners don't know anything about Russia." And Westerners came to Russia saying, "We're trying to teach them, and they don't want to listen." So I would say it's not just the generation or age issue, it's more about cultures and nationality and experience.

But back to your question. Our basic model is, "Bring young people." We just started our summer class for trainees with 170 people, of which I assume about 60% will stay and work in Troika. Most of our partners started at a young age. We have a guy running a key business who is 28, and that is fine with us, absolutely.

Yakubovich: What's interesting about your hiring of Andrei Sharonov is that he's coming from the government and, to the best of my knowledge, he worked for the government all his life.

Vardanian: Fifteen years, yes.

Yakubovich: What does he bring from that government experience? The perception is your bank is different and doesn't want people with a lot of baggage from the old system or bureaucracy. Could you clarify?

Vardanian: The first time we hired a person from government, which was quite unusual, was Oleg Yuguin, who was the deputy minister of finance, the best chief economist. We have been lucky to hire the best professional people -- who are honest and have high ethical standards and are well-known in the market.

Hiring Andrei Sharonov was a big advantage for us because he was one of the most dynamic ministers trying to reform our country. He brings a systematic view about the government and how it is trying to convert the country to a more open market economy. He's also experienced at managing many projects and different groups of clients. We choose people not always by the position they hold, but also by their personal chemistry, so we find people who accept Troika's way of doing things.......

more to read
                  When 22-year-old Ruben Vardanian became General Director of Troika Dialog in 1992, he applied international banking standards, stressed transparency and built a young, multicultural and cooperative workforce. It wasn't easy in the rough-and-tumble Russian economy of the 1990s, but his company is now Russia's oldest and largest private investment bank. Wharton management professors Valery Yakubovich and Michael Useem spoke with Vardanian about entrepreneurship, education -- and staying honest -- in Russia.…Read More

Comment

Russian Forces in Armenia

Very nice pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
                      I said Central Asia in the heat of the moment. I said it for a lack of a better term. I may have misspoken. I tend to do that sometimes when I'm up late at night, typing fast while a number of other things are going through my mind, not the least of which are my domestic and professional obligations. However, I have seen the general region of Iran-Afghanistan-Pakistan referred to as Southwest Asia, South Asia and Central Asia. I don't think the territory in question is clearly defined simply due to the fluid nature of the complex geopolitical climate of the region. To me, personally, the whole region in question is Central Asia. I do realize, however, that the former Soviet republics of "Central Asia" have more-or-less secured the name in question. In any case, I apologize if I offended you in any way.
                      Nah, I was not ( I was just wondering...). What made you think so?
                      Last edited by Lucin; 06-13-2008, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X