Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

How does everyone feel about Israel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: How does everyone feel about Israel?

Originally posted by Mos View Post
    In general Western women are treated far better than women in middle east. Take the average woman from France and Iran. Not only that at least in the West you don't have the idiotic sharia laws that account for all that oppression. I'm not saying all Muslims are uneducated, but the sharia laws and the Islamic society greatly hinder secular education as they focus on islamic education which in my opinion doesn't do you much good. I mean they banned Music for crying out loud in Iran universities because it's un-islamic. Just idiotic.
    Hmm... I suggest you read up on some pretty oppressive laws in Israel.

Under Israel's Divorce Laws, Men Get The Final Word

Israel has a singular system when it comes to matters of family law. For J3ws, the religious or rabbinical court is the only one able to grant a divorce. The court rules according to J3wish law — a system that has been in place for thousands of years — and it is run exclusively by Orthodox rabbis.

If he's incapacitated, if he's abusive, if he committed adultery, it really doesn't matter. If he doesn't say yes, you're stuck.

- Susan Weiss, of the Center for Women's Justice

According to J3wish law, a man has to agree to grant the divorce of his own free will before the legal separation can proceed. Rights groups say the system unfairly discriminates against women.

"If he's incapacitated, if he's abusive, if he committed adultery, it really doesn't matter," says Susan Weiss, who runs the Center for Women's Justice in Israel. "If he doesn't say yes, you're stuck."

Ramit Alon, 40, was living in an Orthodox community with her husband and three children when she decided to leave her marriage.

"I got married 16, almost 17 years ago," Alon says. "We had some problems as a couple, and 4 1/2 years ago, I left. I took my kids and just ran away."

Alon says she was optimistic about what lay ahead. "I thought that after I leave, it will take some months and then I could get divorced and start again, a new life. But it's not over."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=125673859

Sex trafficking is a disgrace but you can't compare that to sharia law oppression where woman have no choice and are oppressed just because they are born woman. More less, women can choose if they want to be prostitutes or not.
    They are being brought into the country with the notion that they'll have jobs when they get there and then they are forced into prostitution. That's not choice.
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
      Hmm... I suggest you read up on some pretty oppressive laws in Israel.

Under Israel's Divorce Laws, Men Get The Final Word

Israel has a singular system when it comes to matters of family law. For J3ws, the religious or rabbinical court is the only one able to grant a divorce. The court rules according to J3wish law — a system that has been in place for thousands of years — and it is run exclusively by Orthodox rabbis.

If he's incapacitated, if he's abusive, if he committed adultery, it really doesn't matter. If he doesn't say yes, you're stuck.

- Susan Weiss, of the Center for Women's Justice

According to J3wish law, a man has to agree to grant the divorce of his own free will before the legal separation can proceed. Rights groups say the system unfairly discriminates against women.

"If he's incapacitated, if he's abusive, if he committed adultery, it really doesn't matter," says Susan Weiss, who runs the Center for Women's Justice in Israel. "If he doesn't say yes, you're stuck."

Ramit Alon, 40, was living in an Orthodox community with her husband and three children when she decided to leave her marriage.

"I got married 16, almost 17 years ago," Alon says. "We had some problems as a couple, and 4 1/2 years ago, I left. I took my kids and just ran away."

Alon says she was optimistic about what lay ahead. "I thought that after I leave, it will take some months and then I could get divorced and start again, a new life. But it's not over."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=125673859

Did I mention Israel has an example of women's rights? It's surely much better than Muslim countries but Israel to has its problems, as it's governmental laws have some theocratic elements.
      They are being brought into the country with the notion that they'll have jobs when they get there and then they are forced into prostitution. That's not choice.
      You cannot compare that to a woman being oppressed just because she's a woman. In most cases woman can choose if they want to be prostitutes or not, and when it comes to such sex trafficking case it's illegal while oppressing those woman in the muslim countries is legal under Sharia law.

So do you still support terrorism?
      Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
      ---
      "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

You cannot compare that to a woman being oppressed just because she's a woman. In most cases woman can choose if they want to be prostitutes or not, and when it comes to such sex trafficking case it's illegal while oppressing those woman in the muslim countries is legal under Sharia law.
        If you're referring to equality between men and women, the only difference between Judaism and Islam is the perception the media portrays.

So do you still support terrorism?
        Define terrorism. As I stated before, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.
        "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

If you're referring to equality between men and women, the only difference between Judaism and Islam is the perception the media portrays.
          Actually xxxish woman tend to be more dominant in the household than the man. Being xxxish is heavily associated with having a xxxish mother. Remember there are many xxxs that live outside Israel. In Israel you may have some unfair laws, especially when it comes to the very orthodox, but it's no where near the inequality that exists in Islam.

Define terrorism. As I stated before, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.
          Killing innocent civilians is freedom fighting? Really? What kind of BS is that? Terrorism is using terror to achieve a goal. And that terror almost always includes killing people, almost all of the time innocent ones.

Terrorism is done by sick and deranged people, there's no justification for it, at all.
          Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
          ---
          "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Killing innocent civilians is freedom fighting? Really? What kind of BS is that? Terrorism is using terror to achieve a goal. And that terror almost always includes killing people, almost all of the time innocent ones.
            How many innocent civilians were killed when Israel invaded Lebanon or US invaded Iraq?

Terrorism is done by sick and deranged people, there's no justification for it, at all.
            Yeah like: Henry Kissinger, George W. Bush, xxxx Cheney, Paul Wolfowitz, Donald Rumsfeld, Ariel Sharon and on...

Comment

Originally posted by Yedtarts View Post
              How many innocent civilians were killed when Israel invaded Lebanon or US invaded Iraq?
              ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Firstly, Israel nor US target innocent civilians, there military actions may result in civilian deaths but they do not go and specifically target innocent lives. The terrorists specifically target innocent lives.

And still that justifies killing going and killing more innocent civilians? What kind of person are you? Why the hell do you bear the "eye for an eye" backwards mentality?? That is an ideal that was rejected in Christianity, of course if you are a Christian to start with you would understand this...

Yeah like: Henry Kissinger, George W. Bush, xxxx Cheney, Paul Wolfowitz, Donald Rumsfeld, Ariel Sharon and on...
              Some of them may have done bad things, but they never directly supported going and killing innocent civilians. there's a very fine line.
              Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
              ---

Comment

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Firstly, Israel nor US target innocent civilians, there military actions may result in civilian deaths but they do not go and specifically target innocent lives. The terrorists specifically target innocent lives.
                I guess the Atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were just poorly calculated bombings of entire civilian cities. I guess the use of agent orange on the Vietnamese civilians was just a science experiment gone wrong.

If you want to read about Israel's state sponsored terrorism, here is some words from an Israeli citizen:

Published on Monday, April 1, 2002 by Tikkun Magazine
                Israel's State Terrorism
                by Lev Grinberg

What is the difference between State terrorism and individual terrorist acts? If we understand this difference we'll understand also the evilness of the US policies in the Middle East and the forthcoming disasters. When Yassir Arafat was put under siege in his offices and kept hostage by the Israeli occupation forces, he was constantly pressed into condemning terror and combatting terrorism. Israel's Stateterrorism is defined by US officials as "self-defense", while individual suicide bombers are called terrorists.

The only 'small' difference is that Israeli aggression is the direct responsibility of Ariel Sharon, Benjamin Ben Eliezer, Shimon Peres and Shaul Mofaz, while the individual terrorist acts are done by individuals in despair, usually against Arafat's will. One hour after Arafat declared his support of a cease fire and wished the xxxs a Happy Passover feast, a suicide bomber exploded himself in an hotel in Netanya, killing 22 innocent xxxs celebrating Passover. Arafat was blamed as responsible for this act, and the present IDF offensive has been justified through this accusation.

At the same time, Sharon's responsibility for Israeli war crimes is being completely ignored. Who should be arrested for the targeted killing of almost 100 Palestinians? Who will be sent to jail for the killing of more than 120 Palestinian paramedics? Who will be sentenced for the killing of more than 1,200 Palestinians and for the collective punishment of more than 3,000,000 civilians during the last 18 months? And who will face the International Tribunal for the illegal settlement of occupied Palestinian Lands, and the disobedience of UN decisions for more than 35 years?

Suicide bombs killing innocent citizens must be unequivocally condemned; they are immoral acts, and their perpetrators should be sent to jail. But they cannot be compared to State terrorism carried out by the Israeli Government. The former are individual acts of despair of a people that sees no future, vastly ignored by an unfair and distorted international public opinion. The latter are cold and "rational" decisions of a State and a military apparatus of occupation, well equipped, financed and backed by the only superpower in the world.

Yet in the public debate, State terrorism and individual suicide bombs are not even considered as comparable cases of terrorism. The State terror and war crimes perpetrated by the Israeli Government are legitimized as "self-defense", while Arafat, even under siege, is demanded to arrest "terrorists."

I want to ask: Who will arrest Sharon, the person directly responsible for the orders to kill Palestinians? When is he going to be defined a terrorist too? How long will the world ignore the Palestinian cry that all they want is freedom and independence? When will it stop neglecting the fact that the goal of the Israeli Government is not security, but the continued occupation and subjugation of the Palestinian people?

As Israelis in the opposition, we are fighting against our government, but the international support that Sharon receives is constantly jeopardizing our struggle. The whole international public opinion must be reverted, and the UN must deploy intervention forces in order to stop the bloodshed and the imminent deterioration. Israelis and Palestinians desperately need the awakening of the international community's public opinion and a reversal in the global attitude. These are needed both in order to save our lives (literally), and preserve our hope in a better future.

Dr. Lev Grinberg is a political sociologist, and Director of the Humphrey Institute for Social Research at Ben Gurion University

http://www.commondreams.org/views02/0401-04.htm
                Last edited by KanadaHye; 12-05-2010, 06:13 PM.

Comment

I guess the Atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were just poorly calculated bombings of entire civilian cities. I guess the use of agent orange on the Vietnamese civilians was just a science experiment gone wrong.
                  Well the nuclear bomb was a terrible act done by the US, the agent orange wasn't directed towards civilians, but it was not carefully used. If you are going to hold US so responsible for that how about Britain during their colonial times the number of people they killed? Or the Spanish in Central/South America? You know how many people they killed? How about Soviet Union in killing millions of its own people or upon enter Afghanistan carpet bombing the country with no respect to civilians (a war which US has been much more milder as respective to the people living there)? Face it every country has done bad things in the past, especially any country that was a major power. So nobody is more "evil" than the other. Everybody has blood on their hands, stop trying to make it so only one side has that blood and everybody else are angels.

If you want to read about Israel's state sponsored terrorism, here is some words from an Israeli citizen:
                  So you do admit know that terrorist attacks are wrong?

The pattern is that Palestinian groups make a terrorist attack, and than the Israelis retaliate often retaliating overly harshly. I support retaliating against terrorist groups, but strongly condemn when such things are done with little consideration to civilian populace (which is done from time to time). Sometimes civilian deaths are unavoidable, sometimes it's because they are being used as human shields, and sometimes it's just carelessness by the Israelis.
                  Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                  ---

Comment

All I'm doing is taking a balanced approach to this conflict, I really could care less what happens in that area, but if I'm to discuss it I will do so in a neutral manner. Again both sides do bad things, and depicting Israelis as the monsters and Palestinians as the only victims is quite an exaggeration and inaccurate. Palestinians do there bad deeds with terrorist attacks/using human shields, Israelis do their bad things by being overly aggressive with their military and overly aggressive retaliations at times. There's propaganda on both sides.

On a more personal level, I've had a few Israeli friends with whom I got along very well and they were actually pretty pro-Armenian and anti-Turkish. They also reflect on the fact that many Israelis believe that the Genocide should be recognized. I'm not going to take a Israeli bias because of these friends, but saying that all Israelis are baby-killers or evil is just really wrong.
                    I agree with everything except that while both sides do suffer, the Palestinians suffer much more. Besides the occasional attack on Israeli soil and illegal settlers in the West Bank, the country is doing well for itself mainly due to the billions of dollars of aid over the last half century (has it reached a trillion yet?) and their large and successful diaspora. Keeping it brief, Palestinians on the other hand do not even have a country, are refugees almost everywhere in the world and their future looks bleak as it continues to lay in the hands of foreign powers who could not give a sh!t about them any less than their Arab brethren do. Gaza has been and still is a virtual prison. The 2005 unilateral pullout of Gaza by Israel resembles the prison guards opening the cells of the prisoners but making sure they can never leave the prison itself and maintain minimal contact with the outside world. The West Bank sees land grabs on a daily basis as the controversial wall goes up and not only this, but Israeli settlers continue to occupy large swaths of the West Bank on some bogus religious ground that does not hold water in the real world. Etc.

While I condemn the fact that Palestinians sometimes target civilians, overall statistics show that more Palestinian civilians have been killed than Israeli civilians during the Second Intifada. And this is not due to Palestinians using human shields but collateral damage, shooting on demonstrators by the Israeli army and West Bank settlers killing Palestinians. I dislike and do not use the word terrorist but if the use of human shields makes a person call one side of the conflict "terrorists", then Israel is definitely a terrorist entity given its widely documented use of human shields.
                    Another note,

It seems Armenia doesn't recognize Palestine? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nition-map.png

What's the reason by curiosity... (
                    It's not that Armenia does not recognise Palestine. Countries portrayed in grey on the map are countries where there is no information on their position. Check right under the table in this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign..._and_relations
                    Last edited by Federate; 12-06-2010, 09:15 AM.
                    Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

Originally posted by Federate View Post
                      I agree with everything except that while both sides do suffer, the Palestinians suffer much more. Besides the occasional attack on Israeli soil and illegal settlers in the West Bank, the country is doing well for itself mainly due to the billions of dollars of aid over the last half century (has it reached a trillion yet?) and their large and successful diaspora. Keeping it brief, Palestinians on the other hand do not even have a country, are refugees almost everywhere in the world and their future looks bleak as it continues to lay in the hands of foreign powers who could not give a sh!t about them any less than their Arab brethren do. Gaza has been and still is a virtual prison. The 2005 unilateral pullout of Gaza by Israel resembles the prison guards opening the cells of the prisoners but making sure they can never leave the prison itself and maintain minimal contact with the outside world. The West Bank sees land grabs on a daily basis as the controversial wall goes up and not only this, but Israeli settlers continue to occupy large swaths of the West Bank on some bogus religious ground that does not hold water in the real world. Etc.

While I condemn the fact that Palestinians sometimes target civilians, overall statistics show that more Palestinian civilians have been killed than Israeli civilians during the Second Intifada. And this is not due to Palestinians using human shields but collateral damage, shooting on demonstrators by the Israeli army and West Bank settlers killing Palestinians. I dislike and do not use the word terrorist but if the use of human shields makes a person call one side of the conflict "terrorists", then Israel is definitely a terrorist entity given its widely documented use of human shields.
                      I agree that Israelis have been overly aggressive in their responses, but you also have to admit that this is a "see-saw" conflict, and blaming everything on one side is uncalled for. I also disagree that Israel can be labelled a terrorist state, I never labelled Palestine as a terrorist state, just the specific groups that organize such attacks against innocent civilians. For the most part, Israel is not constructing attacks against innocent civilians. Rather being at time just carless about them when rooting out the terrorist groups.

It's not that Armenia does not recognise Palestine. Countries portrayed in grey on the map are countries where there is no information on their position. Check right under the table in this link
                      I'll do some research find out what Armenia's position is on Palestine.

I also recently found out that Armenia is not officially recognized by Pakistan:

F*ck Pakistan, I mean they seem more anti-Armenian than Turkey....
                      Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                      ---

Comment

Working...
                      X