Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Ataturks statue in Israel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
    I see you are still squatting in a country you know nothing about, spouting rubbish that even a spoilt-brat schoolboy would be embarassed to speak.
    A clear example of the research that this particular cat makes to ensure that his posts are as correct as possible.

Houses, stones, throw, glass, in, shouldn't, people.

Comment

I think most Turks, when looking at Iran, just think about how much they have gained and how lucky they are not to be Iranians, and, regardless of their political outlooks, give a little thankyou to Ataturk.
      These gains mainly didnt come from M. Kemal's personal luminosity but a process started with constitutional monarchy movement. In addition, it is so hard to say that the structure he established is secular.

Comment

I think most Turks, when looking at Iran, just think about how much they have gained and how lucky they are not to be Iranians, and, regardless of their political outlooks, give a little thankyou to Ataturk.
        May be they have to thank Taliat and others as well? For leaving them thus waist lands of Anatolia with so many empty houses where they could live happily and build that wonderful secular democracy called Republic of turkey?
        I have been there... I have seen ruins of St. Karapet!

Comment

• Originally posted by ardakilic View Post
          These gains mainly didnt come from M. Kemal's personal luminosity but a process started with constitutional monarchy movement. In addition, it is so hard to say that the structure he established is secular.
          Turkey isn't secular, since New Zealand is truly secular I know what it means. Which is total religious tolerance + absence of religious discussion in politics + not using religious values within law, this isn't and has never been the case in Turkey.

Comment

• Originally posted by hipeter924 View Post
            Turkey isn't secular, since New Zealand is truly secular I know what it means. Which is total religious tolerance + absence of religious discussion in politics + not using religious values within law, this isn't and has never been the case in Turkey.
            It is much more complicated in Turkey, Peter.

1. On a hand, Turkey Republic shows hostility to religion:
            - It is restricted in university and even out of public buildings to wear religious clothes, especially for women.
            - Properties of religious foundations are confiscated by the state (both Muslims and Christians).

2. On the other hand, Turkey Republic gives a picture of having state religion:
            - Religious Affairs Administration is a constitutional establishment which serves only Sunni Muslim people to continue control over the religion.

3. On another hand, Turkey is secular according to its constitution and laws.

4. It is very hard to mention about religion harmony and tolerance both in people and state.

Comment

1. On a hand, Turkey Republic shows hostility to religion:
              - It is restricted in university and even out of public buildings to wear religious clothes, especially for women.
              Actually, this is not a problem of Turkey alone. In Europe (especially France) they have similar problems and discussions.

Originally posted by ardakilic View Post
              2. On the other hand, Turkey Republic gives a picture of having state religion:
              - Religious Affairs Administration is a constitutional establishment which serves only Sunni Muslim people to continue control over the religion.
              Something that I can add: on our ID cards, there is a section that mentions from what religion you are. Very stupid.

Comment

• Originally posted by may View Post
                Actually, this is not a problem of Turkey alone. In Europe (especially France) they have similar problems and discussions.
                According to law (15 March 2004), in France, religious clothes of Muslim girls are prohibited only in secondary schools. You can easily see the difference: adult people and children.

Originally posted by may View Post
                Something that I can add: on our ID cards, there is a section that mentions from what religion you are. Very stupid.
                I think so.

Comment

According to law (15 March 2004), in France, religious clothes of Muslim girls are prohibited only in secondary schools. You can easily see the difference: adult people and children.
                  When I said "problems" I did not specifically talked about the head scarf issue. Still, the differences are not that easy to see, that's why people spend years and write dissertations about it.

"Despite their constitutionally secular status, the United States, France, and Turkey--the three cases that I examine in this dissertation--have, in fact, been deeply concerned with religion and have engaged it on many fronts. The three states’ rules regarding the wearing of headscarves reflect a broad array of policy differences among them. Yuksel Sezgin and I have prepared an index of state-religion separation based on 29 issues and 40 countries. 4 According to this index, the states maintaining the firmest separation from religion would have the score of 0.0 (0/29) and the ones with the weakest separation would have 1.0 (29/29). The score of the US is only 0.17 (5/29), whereas that of France is 0.34 (10/29) and that of Turkey is 0.48 (14/29). 5 In line with these differences, these three states have had distinct policies to regulate religion in schools. Historical and contemporary debates on secularism in all these three cases have pointed to education as the main battlefield in state-religion controversies. 6 In this study, therefore, I specifically focus on the five most publicly debated state policies on religion in schools in three cases: a) prohibitions on students’ religious dress and symbols in public schools; b) proscriptions on student-led prayer in public schools; c) restrictions on private religious education; d) the presence of religious instruction in public schools; and finally e) public funding of private schools run by religious groups. Table 2 compares my three cases regarding these five policies. Like the index data above, the table stresses a higher degree of separationism in the US, compared to France and Turkey. The ban on religious symbols exists in France and Turkey. In all three countries, students are not allowed to collectively pray in public schools. Turkey is the only one that bans private religious education; state-run religious schools and courses there have an official monopoly on religious education. Turkey is also an exception in religious instruction in all public schools. Finally, France is the only one among these three states that provides public funding to private schools run by religious groups."

Source: http://www.allacademic.com//meta/p_m...0/p42250-1.php

ps: the above quotation is from page 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by may View Post
                    When I said "problems" I did not specifically talked about the head scarf issue. Still, the differences are not that easy to see, that's why people spend years and write dissertations about it.

"Despite their constitutionally secular status, the United States, France, and Turkey--the three cases that I examine in this dissertation--have, in fact, been deeply concerned with religion and have engaged it on many fronts. The three states’ rules regarding the wearing of headscarves reflect a broad array of policy differences among them. Yuksel Sezgin and I have prepared an index of state-religion separation based on 29 issues and 40 countries. 4 According to this index, the states maintaining the firmest separation from religion would have the score of 0.0 (0/29) and the ones with the weakest separation would have 1.0 (29/29). The score of the US is only 0.17 (5/29), whereas that of France is 0.34 (10/29) and that of Turkey is 0.48 (14/29). 5 In line with these differences, these three states have had distinct policies to regulate religion in schools. Historical and contemporary debates on secularism in all these three cases have pointed to education as the main battlefield in state-religion controversies. 6 In this study, therefore, I specifically focus on the five most publicly debated state policies on religion in schools in three cases: a) prohibitions on students’ religious dress and symbols in public schools; b) proscriptions on student-led prayer in public schools; c) restrictions on private religious education; d) the presence of religious instruction in public schools; and finally e) public funding of private schools run by religious groups. Table 2 compares my three cases regarding these five policies. Like the index data above, the table stresses a higher degree of separationism in the US, compared to France and Turkey. The ban on religious symbols exists in France and Turkey. In all three countries, students are not allowed to collectively pray in public schools. Turkey is the only one that bans private religious education; state-run religious schools and courses there have an official monopoly on religious education. Turkey is also an exception in religious instruction in all public schools. Finally, France is the only one among these three states that provides public funding to private schools run by religious groups."

Source: http://www.allacademic.com//meta/p_m...0/p42250-1.php

ps: the above quotation is from page 3.
                    Thanks for the quotation. But i meant that even France is not hostile as Turkey about religious clothes in universities although Turkey sees it as a role-model for itself for over 80 years.

I think, not now, but especially in establishment years, Turkey's hostility against religion can only be compared to Soviet one.

Comment

• Re: Ataturks statue in Israel

All I have seen in my life is:TC is a evil republic, that is trying to find an honorable way to repent, not for the right reasons, only so they can keep their own power.
                      "All truth passes through three stages:
                      First, it is ridiculed;
                      Second, it is violently opposed; and
                      Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

Working...
                      X