Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

American Spirit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: American Spirit

UPDATE

Filming was completed on November 4 and I had less than two days to finish editing the final cut of the film. We ended up incorporating a different storyline into the film because I felt like the necessary dialogue would cut into the "chase" portion of the film.

I created a small comedy from the situation; a young boy finds his dad's cigarettes and as he picks it up, his father runs after him. They end up running through the entire apartment building and find themselves in an alley. When the father runs out of breath, he sits down to smoke a cigarette. The boy walks back to his father, who now feels guilty for smoking. He puts the cigarette out and walks back home with his son. After we fade out, we end up in a living room where the father and son are sitting. The boy eyes his father's beer and eventually grabs it for himself.

We couldn't get the music ready in time so I had to arrange it myself. I presented and screened it at school today; I was the fifth to go from the ten we saw today.

The first four were not great... they had a lot of mistakes and the professor spent a lot of time pointing them out. Mine was a surprise, I guess, because I seemed to have the best editing. The audience laughed when they were supposed to and was a pretty good feeling. I received many compliments about my cinematography and camera work. The professor welcomed me with a "very nice film, very well done." He told the class "this film is very good, all the shots are nice and the camera work and editing is good."

He only had two suggestions which were I should have used different shots while they were running (close-ups) which I avoided because I don't like them. Also, the ending with the beer is supposed to give the audience one final laugh, which he liked, but felt came in too late. This, too, was intentional, but I guess it's based on preference.

The other five films we saw were fairly nice. One in particular was very nicely done, the storyline was incredible. The others were average, some had good lighting, others had nice shots. Overall, more than half the class didn't turn it in today and will have to present it next week.

I'm hoping my film gets selected for the end of semester screening. We'll have to see, I'll upload this film to YouTube and get a link for you to see.

Comment

As it was screened:

A father chases his son across their apartment building after finding him with cigarettes.Project 2 for Cinema 2 at Los Angeles City College, Fall 2008.The t...

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way View Post
        1. That was cool
        2. Is that your dad and little brother?
        3. If he left the pack of cigarettes on the table, how did he have more when he stopped running? Did he have an extra pack?
        4. Whats the name of that song?
        5. This sorta reminded me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vskUQ...eature=related
        Achkerov kute.

Comment

Your camera work and editing looks great!
          It's really nice to finally see some of your work Armen. You're very good.
          Congrats on a job well done!
          [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
          -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse View Post
            1. That was cool
            2. Is that your dad and little brother?
            3. If he left the pack of cigarettes on the table, how did he have more when he stopped running? Did he have an extra pack?
            4. Whats the name of that song?
            5. This sorta reminded me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vskUQ...eature=related
            1) Thank you.
            2) The father is played by the cinematographer of my first film. He acts as a hobby so I figured he'd be interested in this role. The son is played by my younger cousin.
            3) Exactly.
            4) The song that plays during their chase is "Jump Into The Fire" by Harry Nilsson. The song at the end of the film is "Rockstar (Remix)" by N.E.R.D.

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
            Your camera work and editing looks great!
            It's really nice to finally see some of your work Armen. You're very good.
            Congrats on a job well done!
            I felt discouraged during the first day of filming because I felt like everything was too simple. However, as I was editing the footage from that night, I realized I should just emphasize my camera work and editing skills and make those two stand out.

Thank you to both of you.

Comment

Okay, I'm probably going to be speaking to myself but here it goes...

I got my film back today and received a 120/120. However, as I had said, I wanted to get picked for the end-of-semester screening so I didn't exactly care for my grade.

Today, we watched a few more films and all the people I was skeptical about/worried that they'd make outstanding films, screened as well. I was surprised, the people who seemed to have big egos came with average films. That is until the second to last screening.

Long story short, I felt this guy would make a great film because creativty reeks from him. His storyline was better than average but his cinematography was mind-blowing. His use of lighting and gels were amazing; the entire class felt it and was blown away. He didn't use a regular miniDV camera. He used a Panasonic HVX which is much better than our cameras but he's allowed to use it because he shot ON miniDV tape.

His camera work was well done but I think the major thing was his lighting. I think since he had such a good camera, he had an advantage because his cinematography was able to stand out more. I felt bad after class because it's obvious he will get picked for the end-of-semester screening; everybody loved his film. It's just I feel like I'm not good enough and I hate feeling this way.

My girlfriend kept saying it's not fair because he used a better camera but as I said, I can rent one and use it too. He knew what he was doing with the lighting and it was unbelievable. Is it normal to feel this way? I mean, I hate feeling like I'm in a competitve field, but whether I like it or not, I am. But is it okay for other students to have outstanding films? Does that mean I won't amount to anything? Does that mean I won't get to where they might go? Ugh.

Comment

Do the best you can with the camera you have... If that's the only difference then people who are in the know will take that into account. If you could learn more and improve your skills by working w/ a better camera then save for one I guess, but don't put yourself down or feel bad in the mean time. You know you'd be at least just as good with the same camera. I'm sure people have done great things with less than the best equipment. You know it's not the most important thing.
                [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

Sometimes I feel that way too (in say, music), but I come out of it when I show willingness to learn from my shortcomings and genuinely approach the people who are better than me with a willingness to learn from them.

In your case, it seems you know what he did that was better and you could've done it yourself. Not much to learn from him, unless he did tricks with the lighting that you'd need him to explain better. I can understand why you might feel down about not doing the little extra that cost you a good position.

I'm not in a competitive environment right now in my activities or studies though so perhaps I can only relate so far.

Comment

The film class we're in now if for beginners. Some people have never even held a camera before whereas I just finished shooting a short film on my own in the summer. I don't know how experienced this guy is but from judging his film, I would say he's been involved in film for quite a while.

His camera is better but the entire production was in his lighting. He knew a little tricks when it came to lighting; he knew how to use the lighting to his advantage. He knew how to use gels and how to create a tone while setting the equipment where it needed to be. Most of us don't know how to do that and I only know so much about lighting.

I didn't feel like I had to put him down though. I spoke to him after class and told him he did a nice job. I mean, sure, I can meet with him and discuss his film further but why bother? I can learn to do what he did by experience. I guess I just assumed we'd all be true beginners. Everybody else is pretty much on the same level; everybody has their tricks. I think I was best in the class as far as editing goes, and that's not saying much.

I just wanted to be the student who "blew" the class away. I guess it shouldn't really matter. In film school, you have to change your position whether you like it or not; play the role of cinematographer, director, camera operator, etc. That way, we can all learn and it isn't a single student who shines.

Comment

I know what you mean. That stank about my phd program too... I was a star where I was at before, but when all the stars from their respective schools are the ones selected, no one's special anymore. I miss that little boost.

You blew us away. Don't we count for anything?

Comment

Working...
                      X