Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian lesbians/gays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Armenian lesbians/gays

Originally posted by Flamenkita View Post
    I am very pleased and proud of President Obama. Were it not with the right wing fundamentalists who are trying to invade people's private lives, I'm sure he would have declared his support much sooner.

I haven't created my own religion. Not at all. All I've done is sit and think about whether it makes sense that some bearded guy sitting in the clouds is and has been calling the shots. If you allowed yourself the pleasure of critical thinking, you, too, might arrive at the same conclusion. All we have is this life. There is no god. There is no afterlife. But the notion of god and an afterlife sure does give some people the sense that they have the right to tell other people how to live their lives.

End of ...munication. Cute. Not original. But then, religion isn't about inspiring people to have original thoughts.
    Your view of Christianity being a "white bearded guy in clouds" is very short sighted.

It's also interesting how you equate cultural conservatism with North Korea like dictatorship. I guess a tactic in trying to label people who wish to retain our cultural values?
    Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
    ---
    "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Not really an obscure tactic on my part. North Korea is just an example of what happens when the ideas of a few obscure and suppress the ideas of the many. It's what happens when ideas like "Western assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the genocide" fully play out.

Let me ask you this, though: How do you know God is male?

Comment

gegev, a lot of psychotic people believe they have direct access to the thoughts of god and Christ.

Comment

Not really an obscure tactic on my part. North Korea is just an example of what happens when the ideas of a few obscure and suppress the ideas of the many. It's what happens when ideas like "Western assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the genocide" fully play out.

Let me ask you this, though: How do you know God is male?
          Except it is not ideas of a few suppressing many. More it's just protecting the fundamental core of a society. No one here is saying society/behaviour should be controlled. As for the line "Western assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the genocide" that's more intended for the diaspora where assimilation will lead to Armenians forgetting their identity or accepting other identies, and with that the numbers of Armenians dwindling just like during Genocide. Research "White Genocide".

Because males are biologically and socially the dominant sex.
          Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
          ---
          "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
            Except it is not ideas of a few suppressing many. More it's just protecting the fundamental core of a society. No one here is saying society/behaviour should be controlled. As for the line "Western assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the genocide" that's more intended for the diaspora where assimilation will lead to Armenians forgetting their identity or accepting other identies, and with that the numbers of Armenians dwindling just like during Genocide. Research "White Genocide".

Kim Jong Il spoke those same words: "Just protecting the fundamental core of a society."

For your information, the Diaspora has always preserved Armenian culture. It was the Mxitarist monks in Venice and Vienna who preserved and perfected Classical Armenian language and texts. They were the ones who saved manuscripts from perishing.
            Armenian culture is almost synonymous with Diaspora. You may not like it, but there is nothing about an Armenian from the former USSR that makes him or her any more authentic in his Armenianness than an Armenian from New York City. Armenians were merchants and middlemen in international trade long before the Americas were discovered and colonized. Where there are merchants and middlemen, there are diasporan communities.

Also, in biology, males are usually the "marked" sex. They are the ones who have to do more or look like they are doing more to secure mates and to pass on their genes. Because our species has evolved past the point where brute force is what secures our survival, we can no longer accept the argument that males are the dominant sex. What secures the survival of our species is: intelligence, adaptability, diversification. If you want to make the biological argument, then the best thing we can do for ourselves as a biological community is to bring in fresh genes... i.e. marry non-Armenians, marry people who are as different from us as possible.

The biological-social argument is a failure. But there's something to the idea of men being the "marked" ones, the ones who have the elaborate feathers and do the fancy dancing in order to attract and impregnate females. Armenian men do this is a number of ways: machismo, fancy cars, throwing money around, ordering people around who they feel they're better than, be it their sisters, mothers, younger brothers, etc...

White Genocide is a construct and a situational device that has been overused to make some people fall in line by causing guilt and a sense of unending obligation. It's no way to run a family, or a nation.

Comment

Kim Jong Il spoke those same words...
              Hurray for not saying Hitler ... this discussion is still not lost Hmmm ... but I said Hitler ... did I just kill it all?
              this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post

Whilst the west manufacturers these insidious, brainwashed, neo-liberal, lemmings on a revolving assembly line. It's also used as a dumping ground for other peoples misfits.

Armenia does not need become autocratic or repressive in order to ward off subversive elements. However Armenia's demographics and external threats are such that it must at least for now remain a fortress state.

Comment

Kim Jong Il spoke those same words: "Just protecting the fundamental core of a society."
                  Which all just goes to show that. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Neo-liberalism = Aldous Huxley's Brave New World

Comment

Wow.

I believe everyone should be free to practice what they wish so long as their views don't infringe on those of others.

Sexual orientation is something as deeply ingrained in you as the origin of your blood. It can't be repressed or denied in a healthy way. If one falls in love with a woman when one is a woman, that is equally valid as loving a man. Homophobia is a hard current to swim against, but if your parents love you, and if you maintain open channels of communication, time heals all. Don't deny yourself what could be a lifetime of happiness over uncertainty and fear of what could be.

And as for family, church and patriotism.... family is extremely important, I agree. Her bond with hers will be strengthened if they can support her through this major step, and will lead her to starting a family of her own.

The church is an invaluable tool for self-growth. When it becomes a wall rather than a bridge for moving forward though, one has to bypass it.

As for patriotism, one's allegiance lies first and foremost to oneself. Understanding and loving one's heritage is part of that, but groups are something we subscribe to to feel needed; people love to be shackled even as they cry out for freedom.
                    Last edited by ADandelion; 05-11-2012, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ADandelion View Post
                      Wow.

I believe everyone should be free to practice what they wish so long as their views don't infringe on those of others.

Sexual orientation is something as deeply ingrained in you as the origin of your blood. It can't be repressed or denied in a healthy way. If one falls in love with a woman when one is a woman, that is equally valid as loving a man. Homophobia is a hard current to swim against, but if your parents love you, and if you maintain open channels of communication, time heals all. Don't deny yourself what could be a lifetime of happiness over uncertainty and fear of what could be.

And as for family, church and patriotism.... family is extremely important, I agree. Her bond with hers will be strengthened if they can support her through this major step, and will lead her to starting a family of her own.

The church is an invaluable tool for self-growth. When it becomes a wall rather than a bridge for moving forward though, one has to bypass it.

As for patriotism, one's allegiance lies first and foremost to oneself. Understanding and loving one's heritage is part of that, but groups are something we subscribe to to feel needed; people love to be shackled even as they cry out for freedom.
                      Amen to that!

Comment

Working...
                      X