Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

The Armenian Peacekeepers were Awarded

Lately 20 servicemen of the Armenian peacekeeping unit participating in the activities of the ISAF in Afghanistan were awarded with medals and certificates by the German command of the RC North in Afghanistan.
    The award-giving of the Armenian peacekeepers who were active in the process of realizing the peacekeeping mission took place near the Kunduz airfield in front of the Armenian chapel built by them.

RA MoD Department of Information and Public Affairs
    Last edited by burjuin; 05-19-2010, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Nagorno-Karabakh's fragile stalemate

Anna Matveeva

Last week, 12 May, marked 16 years since Russia mediated a ceasefire agreement that ended the Armenian-Azerbaijani war over Nagorno-Karabakh and started a long period of "no war, no peace" stagnation. Presently, there is a sense that things might be changing.

The territory of Karabakh is essentially a backwater for both countries. It had certain significance for Soviet military planners because of its proximity to Turkey, but otherwise has no prize assets. It is agricultural land, now sparsely populated because of the exodus of ethnic Azerbaijanis who fled the war, with roads leading to closed borders. Remote from Armenia's better-off areas around Yerevan, development in Nagorno-Karabakh is being propped up by the Armenian diaspora. It remains an isolated place that, unlike Abkhazia, has received little assistance from the international community.

Many Armenians who are currently in Karabakh fled from inter-ethnic violence in Azerbaijani cities, losing their good jobs and nice apartments, and continue to feel embittered. On the opposite side of the border, Azerbaijani farmers, displaced from the lands currently occupied by the Armenian forces, look up towards their former homes and think that they see the lights in them at night. If so, this must be the army using their houses as barracks.

Would the Azerbaijani president, Ilham Aliyev, go to war for Karabakh? It is a big question. The defence minister, Safar Abiyev, spoke in February of the growing likelihood of a "great war" with Armenia. Azerbaijan has a lot to lose if it does so. It has got rich quick due to its energy resource development and is the only CIS country that sustained positive economic growth during the financial crisis.

The state started to build roads, rehabilitate schools and resettle its displaced people. The newly found prosperity conveyed a "feel-good" atmosphere, but it also brought a new confidence that finally "the game is ours". It cannot let 15% of its territory be lost for ever without making an earnest effort to win something back. Any leader with a sense of history would be mindful that future generations would not forgive him this.

So Azerbaijan builds up its military capabilities, procures modern weaponry and trains troops. It also unleashes bellicose rhetoric on Azerbaijani TV channels, both in the Azeri language and in Russian. Whether this propaganda is aimed at preparing society for war is unclear, but it certainly instils trepidation in the Armenian public of a threat of an imminent attack.

The military build-up and aggressive rhetoric is a pressure tactic of presenting a credible threat, if Armenia does not move. It is effective in projecting a fear that the war, fresh in the memory, can restart, but ineffective in forcing a will for concessions. The public attitude is that because so much has been sacrificed to gain these lands, giving them back would be a betrayal of the memory of heroes who died for them. Following this line of reasoning, the destiny is to continue to sacrifice development for the sake of defence, even if the price could be economic stagnation and social depression.

Encouragingly, Azerbaijan's leadership is risk-averse and not prone to impulsive moves to suit a nationalist agenda. It does not need a war to boost its popularity, because it is already popular. Rationally speaking, the war is unlikely. But military games and sabre-rattling have a tendency to get out of hand. Armenia's internal political problems can give rise to a "now or never" attitude: since the adversary appears weak, the time for a decisive push has arrived.

If it comes to it, the crucial issue is what Russia would do. There is a fashionable belief that Moscow holds the key to a Karabakh settlement, but a scenario in which Vladimir Putin calls the Armenian president, Serzh Sargsyan, and orders him to withdraw from Karabakh seems truly fantastic. In the current stalemate, Russia cannot do more than the US and France, the other Minsk group co-chairs. However, if fighting were to start, Moscow would be presented with an awkward choice as to whether it defends Armenia militarily.

On the one hand, Armenia is a member of the Collective Security Treaty Organisation, which, like Nato, operates on the collective defence principle: an attack against one member is regarded as an attack on all members. On the other hand, Moscow does not have the same problems with Baku as it has with Tbilisi: the political relationship is good, trade is rampant, Azerbaijan benefits from Russian investment and the two states co-operate in combating terrorism. In the case of deterioration, diplomatic rather than military pressure would be Moscow's most likely option.

In the meantime, people on both sides vote with their feet. Rural areas of Armenia, Karabakh and Azerbaijan are getting depopulated and aged, while younger men, and increasingly women, solve the poverty problem by labour migration to Russia. There are few signs that a political culture of compromise is emerging.

Voices of the Azerbaijani intelligentsia standing against the war are unpopular, as peacebuilding is equated in public wisdom with surrendering Karabakh to the Armenians. Those who advocate peace need to see a readiness from the Armenian side to make steps towards compromise – otherwise "peacebuilding" amounts to an acceptance of defeat. Such signs of compromise are yet to emerge. The danger is that it might be getting too late for them to be noticed.

Anna Matveeva: Tensions between Azerbaijan and Armenia are rising over the Karabakh backwater amid fears that a 'great war' may be close

Comment

Someone goess to Armenia or Karabakh this year, holiday?

Last edited by Guest; 05-18-2010, 05:34 AM.

Comment

In all locations ,the soldiers of both Armies of Armenian build military chapel.

On the front line in NKR-Artsakh and in Armenia:

Comment

In Iraq:

In Kosovo:

In Afghanistan:

Comment

Originally posted by ArmeniaR View Post
              Someone goess to Armenia or Karabakh this year, holiday?
              I am invited to my cousin’s wedding in Armenia this July but looks like work has me going the other way (Italy), I am hoping I can still get out of it...........if I can then I will be in Armenia this july and if not, I am planning to make my way to Artsakh no later than next year (I hope).
              B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Eddo211 View Post
                I am invited to my cousin’s wedding in Armenia this July but looks like work has me going the other way (Italy), I am hoping I can still get out of it...........if I can then I will be in Armenia this july and if not, I am planning to make my way to Artsakh no later than next year (I hope).
                Nice.. hope for you, you can go.... if you go, i expect some nice photos from you.. from Armenia,Artsakh and our Army...
                Last edited by Guest; 05-19-2010, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Here you can see some of my pictures taken when I was in Armenia and Artsakh (I can not remember the year because I often go there, I think it was in 2008).

This picture taken in Artsakh near the Gandzasar monastery which cost me a fight with my family Everyone was tired, but we drove across a bridge where I saw this beautiful scenery and demanded the van to stop because I needed to take a picture! So enjoy our beautiful Armenian landscape!

Last edited by Tigranakert; 05-19-2010, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Realy nice picture Tigranakert...

Comment

Thank you very nice topic ..artistic view of the little river !

Comment

Working...
                      X