Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Iranian-Armenian relations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iranian-Armenian relations

Originally posted by arakeretzig View Post
    in ancient times Nakhichevan was important route from east to west, but now it's isolated, deserted and in decay. Its fertile land is limited, it doesn't have any bright future. Why give a xxxx about it?
    Because it can turn into a staging ground for attacking Armenia. Do you know what they stopped making? Land. Do you know what adds value? Scarcity. I could go on ..., but even a desert has value.

Comment

Originally posted by Persopolis View Post
      It's true they did a land swap - If I'm not mistaken, the Kurds were making trouble slightly south of there so they exchanged something like 7 km north for 7 km south; the other reason was that the USSR at that time was threatening Iran and Turkey was a strategic ally (blame Stalin).
      Would you please stop repeating this myth.

That "exchange" of land (Turkey demanded and got all of the eastern side of little Ararat from Iran, Iran got a few worthless Kurdish villages in return) has nothing to do with the land border between Turkey and Nakhchivan.
      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
        Would you please stop repeating this myth.
        * In 1828 Armenian political groups went along with plans for Russia to annex Armenia into its sphere of influence, and it resulted in the the treaty of Turkmanchai after conflict between Russia and Iran (and what is believed to have been a puppet leader in Iran at the time paid off by Russia). Iranians exiled that leader and killed the Russian ambassador. Nevertheless, Armenia effectively became a part of Russia and Armenian political leaders at the time went along with Russia's designs (history has shown that to be a mistake).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...urkmanchai.jpg

* With the communist revolution in Russia, Armenian subsequently became the Armenia-SSR (part of the USSR). In December 1920 Armenia became Armenia-SSR, when the Soviets took over control of the short-lived Democratic Republic of Armenia and Armenia-SSR lasted until 1991.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenia...alist_Republic

* Stalin was Iran's mortal enemy and had clear designs on Iranian land; Iranian choices during the USSR phase reflect that dynamic.

* What history has shown is that prior to Armenia falling into the Russian sphere of influence, Armenian land was much greater in size and it had Persia (a historical ally that protected Armenians from countless attempts to eradicate them prior to the AG and a natural ally against Turkish invasion). When Armenia fell into the Russian sphere of influence, that's when it lost most of its land and the Armenian Genocide took place. Armenians' greatest position in modern history, derives from when it was affiliated with Iran. Even post-USSR, it's clear that Iran has contributed to Armenia's survival. These are facts, not opinions.

The maps and treaties tell the story of how Armenia found itself with the border issues it's facing today: Iran's responsibility to Armenia ended in 1828. Quite honestly, it is Armenia's pure luck to have Iranian support after its 180-year adventure with Russia/USSR.

Last edited by Persopolis; 03-30-2011, 10:25 AM.

Comment

.......In 1828
          It seems you adopt the Armenian way of never being seen to be wrong - i.e., post a lot of off-topic material to try and avoid your mistake.

I'll put it plainer - will you withdraw your implied agreement with the inacurate assertion made by Tigranakert that the Turkish border with Nakhchivan is a result of Iran giving territory to Turkey?

I'n not going to waste my time asking Tigranakert to withdraw his assertion - this border issue has been discussed before and he is a person who doesn't let little things like facts come in the way of myths and dogma.
          Last edited by bell-the-cat; 03-30-2011, 10:35 AM.
          Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Bell, you have not shared why Iran and turkey swapped lands in Nakhichevan.

Persopolis, had it not been for the bolshevik revolution, Armenia would be much larger now. Imperial Russian troops with Armenian volunteers and irregulars had retaken much of Western Armenia by 1916-1917, they were well on their way to Bitlis and other Armenian towns in Western Armenia.
            For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
            to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Originally posted by Armanen View Post

Persopolis, had it not been for the bolshevik revolution, Armenia would be much larger now. Imperial Russian troops with Armenian volunteers and irregulars had retaken much of Western Armenia by 1916-1917, they were well on their way to Bitlis and other Armenian towns in Western Armenia.
              yeah Bolsheviks sold us, not to mention them using "divide and conquer" by giving our lands to Azeris.
              Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
              ---
              "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
                I'll put it plainer - will you withdraw your implied agreement with the inacurate assertion made by Tigranakert that the Turkish border with Nakhchivan is a result of Iran giving territory to Turkey?
                I simply state the facts I come across and am aware of: I put up the pertinent maps and treaties - those are facts. If there's something you want to add to what Tigranakert or anyone else wrote, who is stopping you?

Let me help you -- complete this sentence: "Dear Tigranakert, in relation to your post, I came across this information ...."

Simply add in your information, and drop a citation - who is stopping you? The purpose of a dialogue is to learn from each other.

In 1821-1823 the Ottomans tried to invade Iran. In 1828 Russia took advantage of the situation and took control of Armenia (with the aid of some Armenian politicians and the worst leader Iran has ever had who was on the British/Russian payroll). In 1917 the Bolsheviks took over Russia. In 1927, in response to the Bolshevik revolution and Kurdish separatist issues being stirred-up by the USSR, Turkey and Iran swapped small parcels of land. However, at that date all of Armenia was already in Russian/USSR hands. The damage to Armenia was what happened after Armenia was in Russian/USSR hands (see 2nd map). If you look at the times that Armenia was in Iran's sphere of influence, those lands were huge and Armenians were very prosperous. (see 3rd map). In my opinion history teaches a big lesson: Strong Iran = Strong Armenia. Throughout history, Iran has protected Armenia from literally being eaten alive by the Ottomans, Khazars (present day Daghestan & leadership of Azerbaijan) & the Mongols. Within the last 5-10 years things have again changed for Iran: Iran is again in control of Southern Iraq and the Herat Province in Afghanistan.

Last edited by Persopolis; 03-30-2011, 01:40 PM.

Comment

... 3rd map continued from previous post:

P.S. "Albania" is the wrong word for the province above - It was called "Arran" -- Also 'Ossetians,' is not what they call themselves: They call themselves "Iron" (Iranians).

NOTES:
                  See Bell, Imogen. Eastern Europe, Russia and Central Asia, p. 200.
                  See Mirsky, Georgiy I. On Ruins of Empire: Ethnicity and Nationalism in the Former Soviet Union, p. 28.
                  SeeMastyugina, Tatiana. An Ethnic History of Russia: Pre-revolutionary Times to the Present, p. 80.
                  Last edited by Persopolis; 03-30-2011, 01:31 PM.

Comment

I simply state the facts I come across and am aware of: I put up the pertinent maps and treaties - those are facts. If there's something you want to add to what Tigranakert or anyone else wrote, who is stopping you?
                    That's the problem: it is all things you "came across" on the internet (not the best place to find information to just copypaste into posts) - I've a feeling your actual core knowledge is a bit thin, too thin for you to be blindly using the internet as a source. Don't present things you find online as facts unless YOU know for certain that they are facts.
                    Last edited by bell-the-cat; 03-30-2011, 05:54 PM.
                    Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
                      Iran and Turkey NEVER swapped land in Nakhchivan, and NEVER swapped land to let Turkey have a land border with Nakhchivan.
                      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Working...
                      X