Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Western Armenian Language Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Western Armenian Language Thread

do other westerners use these words sometimes?

"Chamur" instead of "tsekh"
    "Apa/Apareek" instead of "Yeghpire"
    "Peace" instead of "Kesh"
    "bekeran" instead of "Paghnik"
    "Pari yegar" or "Pan muh che" instead of "Khntrem"

I think chamur is turkish, i've no idea what peace is.... and i think pari yegar is made up, my family has only used "pan muh che/khntrem" but i've heard other armenians use it.

Comment

Originally posted by ara87 View Post

I think chamur is turkish, i've no idea what peace is.... and i think pari yegar is made up, my family has only used "pan muh che/khntrem" but i've heard other armenians use it.
      I sometimes use the words from the list you have above:
      Peace
      Pari Yegar
      Pan muh che
      Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

Originally posted by ara87 View Post

Chamur - Never heard anyone use this. Everyone says "tsekh"

Aghpar - This is used mostly in Syria and Lebanon and it's just a corrupted version of the word "yeghpayr". Used the same way Hayastantsis use "axper".

Aghparig (not Apareek) - This is used when you want to be cute with a child and nothing else.
        **Note Yeghpayr remains the most used word from these three and is the only one you will find in literature, barring someone using "aghpar" in a dialogue or something.**

Peace -LOL this is a funny word...it's also very verbal and slang. "Kesh" remains the most commonly used word. You won't find "peace" anywhere in literature and a good portion of people don't even know what it means.

Bedkaran (not bekeran) - This is a common word and is used as much as "paghnik" except it's employed differently. When someone says "bedkaran bedk e yertam", they mean they need to go to the bathroom. When they say "paghnik", they often mean they wanna take a bath/shower.

Pari yegar/pan me che - These are used much more than "khntrem" from what I've seen and heard around. I use "pan me che" more than those two for sure. Nevertheless, "khntrem" remains the most respectful way of replying.
        Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

thanks,

Originally posted by Federate View Post
          Chamur - Never heard anyone use this. Everyone says "tsekh"
          yeah, i looked it up, it is turkish (çamur) i think i must have picked it up from my dads grandparents or something

Aghpar
          Aghparig (not Apareek) - This is used when you want to be cute with a child and nothing else.
          i had always used yeghpayr, my brother used to call me aghparig but pronounced it "apareek" when he was little, which is why i spelled it that way

Peace -LOL this is a funny word...a good portion of people don't even know what it means.
          lol, i realized that a while ago, any clue on where it came from?

Pari yegar/pan me che - These are used much more than "khntrem" from what I've seen and heard around. I use "pan me che" more than those two for sure. Nevertheless, "khntrem" remains the most respectful way of replying.
          Yeah i refrain from "pari yegar" b/c if someone ever uses it he goes on a rant how it literally is "your welcome" and how it doesn't make sense and why "khntrem" and "pan me che" are better

Comment

Originally posted by yerazhishda View Post
            Lucin jan, I just made up the sentence so there is no context.

Take a look at this sentence and tell what is the purpose of the "...":

«Միայն ուրախութեան շարժարիթի մասին հրապարակուիլը բաւարար կ'ըլլայ. մարդիկ կ'իմանան, որ իմ կամ քու սիրասուն զաւկին կամ թոռան առաջին տարեդարձն է, աղջկան հարսանիքն է, եղբօրս տղուն մկրտութիւնն է...:»

Look, «…» is not a separate/ single punctuation. Here we have a combination of two marks, չակերտներ (« ») and կախման կէտեր (...).

One of the main usages of չակերտներ is clearly for quotations or to quote someone's words which is the case in your example. Some more examples of this particular usage: Նա ասաց. «Ես հայուհի եմ»: or «Ուրախ եմ ձեզ ընդունելու»,- նշեց Նախագահը: (Note the punctuation used before or after the quotes.)

Now when կախման կէտեր (…) is used. It means that the speaker's/ writer's words are not finished maybe because of emotion, or surprise or hesitation or sometimes the writer simply leaves to the reader the task of imagining the rest of the story.

Here are some other common usages of (« ») besides quotation, in Armenian:

Սրահը «պայթեց» ծապերից:

«Ասպարէզ»-ը հաղորդեց.

Թուրքերը «ճշմարիտ» ազգ են:

«Մեսրոպ Մաշտոց»-ի շքանշանը նրան յանձնեցին:

Can you see in above examples how it (« ») can be used in different contexts conveying different signification/ usage?

And I have some questions regarding Western Armenian pronunciation that I'll ask you guys, in coming days.
            Last edited by Lucin; 10-10-2008, 04:16 AM.

Comment

Is there a difference in pronunciation between “ճ” and “ջ” in Western Armenian? I have noticed many times that the letter “ճ” is used instead of “ջ” in western Armenian, for example; ճան (while in eastern it is “ջան”) Ադրպեճան (in eastern “Ադրբեջան”). Why? So when/ where is “ջ” used then? And is the pronunciation of these two letters different than Eastern Armenian?

How do you write and spell the following words in Western Armenian; Spoon, knife, glass and ink.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
                Is there a difference in pronunciation between “ճ” and “ջ” in Western Armenian? I have noticed many times that the letter “ճ” is used instead of “ջ” in western Armenian, for example; ճան (while in eastern it is “ջան”) Ադրպեճան (in eastern “Ադրբեջան”). Why? So when/ where is “ջ” used then? And is the pronunciation of these two letters different than Eastern Armenian?
                Yep, there is. The pronuncitation of the Eastern Armenian “ջ” = the pronunciation of the Western Armenian “ճ”.

The way "ջ" is pronounced in Western Armenian, is about the same way Eastern and Western Armenians pronounce "չ". There is no difference between the pronunciation of "չ" and "ջ" in Western Armenian.

As for where WAs use the letter "ջ", it's everywhere EAs use it except the pronunciation changes. For example, WAs write ջուր (water) just like EAs except they pronounce it differently. So ջուր in WA is pronounced "tchur".

But then you may ask, like your given example, why WAs would write Ատրպեճան instead of Ադրբեջան. That's only the case with foreign words or basically proper nouns that don't come from the Armenian language. Then WAs spell it the way they hear it.
                How do you write and spell the following words in Western Armenian; Spoon, knife, glass and ink.
                Spoon = դգալ (tkal) N.B. You'll find it funny when you compare this to EA
                Knife = դանակ (tanag)
                Glass = ապակի (abagi)
                Ink = մելան (melan)

Hope this helped Lucin jan, if you have more please don't be shy to ask because it's beneficial to everyone and i'll be glad to respond as much as I can

Comment

Yep, there is. The pronuncitation of the Eastern Armenian “ջ” = the pronunciation of the Western Armenian “ճ”.

The way "ջ" is pronounced in Western Armenian, is about the same way Eastern and Western Armenians pronounce "չ". There is no difference between the pronunciation of "չ" and "ջ" in Western Armenian.

As for where WAs use the letter "ջ", it's everywhere EAs use it except the pronunciation changes. For example, WAs write ջուր (water) just like EAs except they pronounce it differently. So ջուր in WA is pronounced "tchur".

But then you may ask, like your given example, why WAs would write Ատրպեճան instead of Ադրբեջան. That's only the case with foreign words or basically proper nouns that don't come from the Armenian language. Then WAs spell it the way they hear it.
                  I see...

Spoon = դգալ (tkal) N.B. You'll find it funny when you compare this to EA
                  That's funny indeed. We say "գդալ"/ ktal , tkal would be close to tkel/ թքել (to spit).

Knife = դանակ (tanag)

Glass = ապակի (abagi)
                  Oh, I meant glass as in glass of water or wine for example. In Eastern Armenian, we say բաժակ.

Ink = մելան (melan)
                  My goodness… I had no idea that you refer to ink as melan in western Armenian. Melan is Greek, by the way. Can you guess why I asked about this particular word ink as well as knife?

First of all, I had no idea you say melan in the Western dialect. For the record, in eastern Armenian we use the word "թանաք" for ink. Then I thought WAs may be pronouncing the word knife "դանակ" as tanak and then the word ink, tanak as well. So how can they basically distinguish the two words? It just confused me, not knowing you use melan, instead of թանաք.

Hope this helped Lucin jan, if you have more please don't be shy to ask because it's beneficial to everyone and i'll be glad to respond as much as I can
                  Իհարկէ: Շնորհակալութիւն:

Շատ հետաքրքիր է իմանալ թէ տարբերութիւնները արեւելահայերէնի եւ արեւմտահայերէնի միջեւ ինչպէ՞ս են ստեղծւել հիմնականաօրէն նաեւ ո՞րն է գրաբարին աւելի մօտ լեզւաբանօրէն:

Comment

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
                    That's funny indeed. We say "գդալ"/ ktal , tkal would be close to tkel/ թքել (to spit).

Oh, I meant glass as in glass of water or wine for example. In Eastern Armenian, we say բաժակ.
                    Oh my bad. WAs say բաժակ as well. Just the pronunciation is different (pajag instead of bajak).
                    My goodness… I had no idea that you refer to ink as melan in western Armenian. Melan is Greek, by the way. Can you guess why I asked about this particular word ink as well as knife?
                    Yeah, WAs predominantly use melan for ink. Tanak (թանաք) is present and right in WA but it is rarely used from what i've seen. The average person knows melan. Չէի գիտեր որ յունարէն է «մելան» բառը բայց հիմա որ գիտեմ այս տեղեկութիւնը, պիտի փորձեմ աւելի թանաք գործածել։

First of all, I had no idea you say melan in the Western dialect. For the record, in eastern Armenian we use the word "թանաք" for ink. Then I thought WAs may be pronouncing the word knife "դանակ" as tanak and then the word ink, tanak as well. So how can they basically distinguish the two words? It just confused me, not knowing you use melan, instead of թանաք.
                    Actually Lucin jan, the confusion wouldn't be that bad Թանաք would be pronounced tanak and դանակ would be pronounced tanag. The Կ in Western Armenian has the same pronunciation as Գ in Eastern Armenian. Of course, WAs and EAs write all their words the same way, barring the exception I gave above about foreign words. It's only a matter of pronouncing it
                    Իհարկէ: Շնորհակալութիւն:

Շատ հետաքրքիր է իմանալ թէ տարբերութիւնները արեւելահայերէնի եւ արեւմտահայերէնի միջեւ ինչպէ՞ս են ստեղծւել հիմնականաօրէն նաեւ ո՞րն է գրաբարին աւելի մօտ լեզւաբանօրէն:
                    Ես ալ շատ հետաքրքրական կը գտնեմ տարբերութիւնները եւ կը ցանկամ բարելաւել արեւելահայերէնս ու այսպիսի քննարկումներ շատ կ'օգնեն ինծի եւ բոլոր անոնց որ պիտի կարդան հետագային։

Շնորհակալութիւն։

Comment

Yeah, WAs predominantly use melan for ink. Tanak (թանաք) is present and right in WA but it is rarely used from what i've seen. The average person knows melan. Չէի գիտեր որ յունարէն է «մելան» բառը բայց հիմա որ գիտեմ այս տեղեկութիւնը, պիտի փորձեմ աւելի թանաք գործածել։

Yea, it's Greek. Ever heard of the word melancholia or mélancolie?

Actually Lucin jan, the confusion wouldn't be that bad Թանաք would be pronounced tanak and դանակ would be pronounced tanag. The Կ in Western Armenian has the same pronunciation as Գ in Eastern Armenian. Of course, WAs and EAs write all their words the same way, barring the exception I gave above about foreign words. It's only a matter of pronouncing it

You know this is where we should say Eastern Armenian is easier and more straightforward than Western Armenian. In EA, almost all the words are written just as they are pronounced.

Ես ալ շատ հետաքրքրական կը գտնեմ տարբերութիւնները եւ կը ցանկամ բարելաւել արեւելահայերէնս ու այսպիսի քննարկումներ շատ կ'օգնեն ինծի եւ բոլոր անոնց որ պիտի կարդան հետագային։

Շնորհակալութիւն։

Արեւմտահայերէնը ունի շատ հարուստ, աննման գրական անցեալ: Ես ալ կաշխատիմ բարելաւել արեւմտահայերէնս: (Ճիշտ ասա՞մ: )
                      Last edited by Lucin; 10-20-2008, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X