Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Western Armenian Language Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARGENTINA
    replied
    Re: The Western Armenian Language Thread

Originally posted by yerazhishda View Post
    (you wouldn't know all this because you're a Turk) .

stop beeing rediculus , to be honest I dont take children like you serious anyway if you want to play with someone Armenia will suit you fine

Leave a comment:

• ARGENTINA
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ARGENTINA
    replied

[QUOTE=

I don't think he is a Turk.

QUOTE]

% 100 correct.
    Last edited by ARGENTINA; 10-24-2008, 02:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ARGENTINA
    replied

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
    He is a Turk, or worst, a problematic Turkahai..
    And what is this ?

Leave a comment:

• truAnatolian
    replied

LoL... not as out-dated as Soviet-policies, thats for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Federate
    replied

Sadly, I think the damage may end up being permanent. Soviet Armenian grammar is so 'simplified' that people will not be willing to revert to the more complex (relative to SAO) Mesrobian orthography. And the feeling that I get from RoA citizens is that they would not want to go back to the old orthography and are happy with this one.

Oh, and the damage is so severe that some Armenians even get insulted when you call the 'reforms' "Soviet orthography". Some people even think Mesrobian is outdated and that it's only a Western Armenian thing.

Leave a comment:

• Lucin
    replied

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
    He is a Turk, or worst, a problematic Turkahai. He has been here and banned from here under several other names in the past.
    Okay.

(I do not read many threads lately.)
    Regarding language: The Soviet authorities in Armenia attempted to 'simplify' the language for the peasantry when they butchered the Mesrobian grammar. Simplify the grammar, they did.
    You mean the orthography, right? Because the grammar has not changed.

I hope it will return to its Mesropian version eventually, but I do not obsess over it either. It's just the wedge that it has created which is annoying and some more annoying people who just find it as an excuse to belittle each other further.

However, they also achieved something more sinister in doing so, they drove a further wedge between Diaspora/western Armenians and Soviet Armenians. I believe that sooner or later Mesrobian will come back. If it does not it's not the end of the world. Moreover, some Armenian linguists say that Western Armenian has preserved a grammar that is closest to Classical Armenian (Grabar), while Eastern Armenian has preserved pronunciations that are closest to Grabar.
    Interesting.
    Last edited by Lucin; 10-24-2008, 08:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Armenian
    replied

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
    He is a Turk, or worst, a problematic Turkahai. He has been here and banned from here under several other names in the past.

Regarding language: The Soviet authorities in Armenia attempted to 'simplify' the language for the peasantry when they butchered the Mesrobian grammar. Simplify the grammar, they did. However, they also achieved something more sinister in doing so, they drove a further wedge between Diaspora/western Armenians and Soviet Armenians. I believe that sooner or later Mesrobian will come back. If it does not it's not the end of the world. Moreover, some Armenian linguists say that Western Armenian has preserved a grammar that is closest to Classical Armenian (Grabar), while Eastern Armenian has preserved pronunciations that are closest to Grabar.

Leave a comment:

• Lucin
    replied

Originally posted by Federate View Post
    Yeah I should've mentioned. Iran survived the Soviet reform of the Mesrobian orthography so it's the last place where all Eastern Armenian speakers know and use Mesrobian only
    I used to read a lot from Armenian websites in sovietized Armenian but now I really try to avoid reading Armenian sites (from Armenia) as sometimes I end up mixing it with Mesropian orthography that I have been taught. Like, Յ or հ/ ւ or վ / է or ե/ ո or օ. There is a rule on where to put which but it can't be applied to some words.

What does this cut-and-paste job (you wouldn't know all this because you're a Turk) have to do with you posting non-language posts in this thread?

P.S. I'm tired of people acting like Western and Eastern are two different languages! 9 times out of 10 it's mutually intelligible! There are differences in grammar which is why I started this thread.

Those (WAs or EAs) who complain about not understanding either of the dialects should simply improve their Armenian. If you know/ speak either of the dialects properly then you can definitely understand the other.

Originally posted by ARGENTINA View Post
    the orthography and spelling of Western Armenian is more in line with the original Armenian alphabet, as defined by its inventor Mesrop Mashtots.

Really? Is this true? I was always wondering which dialect is closer to Classic Armenian, in terms of grammar as well as pronunciation. What's the reasoning?
    Last edited by Lucin; 10-24-2008, 07:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• yerazhishda
    replied

Originally posted by ARGENTINA View Post
    read once again ,think twice ,finally count three before writing will make more sense for everyone.The western armenian language is more attractive and has lot work done in it because the center of armenian culture was in Istanbul and promenant armenian writers emerged from anatolian and isatnbul land.All languages evolve and are made of many dialects, and Armenian is not an exception. Armenians in Karabakh have a different dialect than Armenians in Yerevan, while Armenians in Persia speak Armenian with some phonetic characteristics associated with Persian. The two main variants today are “Western Armenian”, spoken mainly by Armenians raised outside of Armenia and “Eastern Armenian” spoken by Armenians raised in Armenia, Iran and the states of the ex-USSR. There are many historic reasons for this division in two variants, namely the establishment of a Western-oriented Armenian kingdom in Cilicia in the Middle Ages, away from the Armenian homeland, and more recently, attempts by the USSR to assimilate Armenians. There are notable differences between the two, especially on the exact pronunciation of consonants, although both have differences with traditional Armenian. In short, , the orthography and spelling of Western Armenian is more in line with the original Armenian alphabet, as defined by its inventor Mesrop Mashtots. What the Armenian language needs is a revival. The Western Armenian spelling, Alphabet structure and pronunciation of vowels must be imposed, while the Eastern Armenian pronunciation of consonants must be kept. Hence one language can be used, and an Armenian named “Daniel” or “Abraham” does not have to be called “Taniel” or “Apraham” by other Armenians. If Armenians around the world can not even agree on something so fundamental as the type of language that they will speak, how can they agree on a common vision for the prosperity, enlightenment and flourishing of the Armenian ethnic identity? This type of linguistic inconsistency contributes to alienate Armenians further from the Armenian identity.
    What does this cut-and-paste job (you wouldn't know all this because you're a Turk) have to do with you posting non-language posts in this thread?

P.S. I'm tired of people acting like Western and Eastern are two different languages! 9 times out of 10 it's mutually intelligible! There are differences in grammar which is why I started this thread.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X