Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian lesbians/gays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Armenian lesbians/gays

Originally posted by Flamenkita
    You know, maybe I'm in a bit of a privileged position because the women I know are very decent women who've been hurt by guys who are buffoons.
    I’m willing to bet your friends have been asked out by lots of ‘nice’ guys and turned them down for guys they thought had a lot more experience with women, and they paid the price for it in the end. That’s usually how that goes. Unless your friends are dimwits, they can generally tell which guys are the responsible types and which ones are smooth operators. You play with fire, you’re gonna get burned.

Regarding my friend who decided to have a baby, I think this will help clarify. She was approaching 40 and after a lot of thinking and deliberating, decided she wanted to have a baby. Then she met and started dating a guy. The relationship was going well, but she told him, "Listen I want to have a baby, and before I met you, I went through all the medical clearances to get IVF via sperm donation. I don't want you to be pressured into staying in this relationship if it isn't what you want. If you want to still be together, realize that having a child is my priority right now. I don't expect you to be part of it in any way." So, the guy said, "Well, why go through IVF? I'd be happy to be your donor." And she got pregnant. But the original conditions held. She wasn't ready to marry him because the relationship was new. She didn't want to obligate him beyond his volunteering to father a baby. She was clear that she expected no financial support from him whatsoever, and that he was free to walk away whenever he needed to. The baby carries her last name. As it turns out, their relationship is continuing to evolve, and it may very well be that they will marry some day. But if they do, it will be for the right reasons, and her biological clock will have had nothing to do with it.
    No matter how good the guy’s intentions are, and no matter how genuine your friend is about the situation, your story only shows the guy is a reckless person. Your friend can take him to the cleaners at any moment to collect child support, she can even wait a few years and collect every penny of child support retroactively, which will greatly reduce his standard of living. I don’t care whether your friend actually collects the money or not - For a man to take that risk, based on nothing more than a verbal agreement with someone who he just started a new relationship with, is sheer stupidity on his part. You were right about your friends dating buffoons.

If people aren't finding appropriate partners in life, there are many different reasons for it. I know that lots of women are misguided in their approach, as are many men.
    True, but like anything else, we can narrow the reasons down to a few general trends. The difference is that some men’s misguided approach doesn’t leave tons of women lonely. Since women hold all the power of choice, when you have lots of women with a misguided approach, it mostly hurts the responsible, decent type of guy who is trying to play by the rules. There are a high proportion of girls who prefer to date a guy who treats them like crap, mainly because the girl gets sexually turned on, and good sex takes priority over serious relationships for these girls. That’s why nice guys usually get zero chances with females during the prime of their lives (age 18-30), because they are negatively stereotyped by this large group of women as being boring. When these nice guys reach their 30s they usually have to settle for some girl who spent the prime years of her life taking pipe and sucking cum out of 100 different bad boys. While she was busy with her sexual escapades, the nice guy was probably depressed for not being able to find anyone even though he was not a loser in other aspects of his life. After party girl reaches her 30s and begins to lose her physical prowess, she tries to get insurance by going after the nice guy, the same type of guy she rejected for years. He will be desperate from lack of real options and will not see her for the self-serving person that she is. He will really believe she loves him and will actually view her as a great prospect, because its an upgrade from being lonely- A loneliness that was caused by her type of behavior in the first place. Its not entirely womens' fault, because many men don't react properly, but this dynamic is definitely initiated by women.

I’m not sure you ever understood this whole dynamic seeing as you might not have been raised in the US, and/or were never faced with lack of romantic options, and never experienced forced celibacy that many guys face. However, the frivolous behavior of many women affects millions of decent guys. I know this dynamic because I have been the nice guy, then realized the situation and developed myself into the disinterested guy who doesn’t give a crap about the girl, and the results were like night and day. I’ve also heard the experiences of hundreds of guys and believe me, it’s the same old story. What I’m telling you is old news for guys who have seen it from both sides of the fence.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmSurvival View Post
      While she was busy with her sexual escapades, the nice guy was probably depressed for not being able to find anyone even though he was not a loser in other aspects of his life. After party girl reaches her 30s and begins to lose her physical prowess, she tries to get insurance by going after the nice guy, the same type of guy she rejected for years. He will be desperate from lack of real options and will not see her for the self-serving person that she is. He will really believe she loves him and will actually view her as a great prospect, because its an upgrade from being lonely- A loneliness that was caused by her type of behavior in the first place.
      The loneliness is actually caused by society making individuals feel like they are less of a person because they are single. Women (esp. the feminist types) usually try to make guys feel like less of a man because they don't "have a woman". However, it's ok for a woman to be independent, especially when her independence comes from receiving payments from some guy she screwed over.
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

@ArmSurvival. First of all, I think I'm considerably older than you, and second, I am a practicing clinical psychologist. So, even if I haven't seen things or experienced things first hand, I have talked with enough people and worked with enough people to know what the problems are and what potential solutions are.

You can't simply reduce it to "a nice guy who gets screwed by party girls". I know just as many women who have been "forced into celibacy" because of a lack of decent men. In fact, it is kind of surprising to me to hear you say that women have all the control. That just simply is not true.

I was raised in the US. My parents were profoundly restrictive of me until I left for college. And I arrived at college with hardly any experience in the realm of dating or even just friendship with men. And it was as if I was thrown to the wolves. There I was. Young, attractive, intelligent, and absolutely clueless as to how to interpret others' intentions. Of course I fell in with some "bad boys", but mostly I blame my own naivety for that. And for that, I blame my parents who didn't give me adequate preparation for some of the most important things in life. I also didn't have siblings, so no role models. I had to pretty much figure it out on my own. And I did. But it took a long time, and lots of bad choices.

The worst thing parents can do to their children is to shelter them too much and then send them out into the world. The second piece, the going out into the world, is inevitable nowadays. But the first part, the adequate preparation for social and relational things, is part of a parent's job, unless they are living in a tight traditional environment where people have no choice but to fall into step with everyone else. But if you are raising your children in the US and expect them to make lives for themselves in the US, then you have to prepare them for that.

I think Armenian parents need to be way more open with their children than they have been, with boys as well as with girls. I know many guys who are under the impression that earning enough money for luxuries is adequate for securing a satisfying relationship with a woman. And when this doesn't come to pass, they are angry at the women rather than at their own parents who failed to prepare them for life in the real world. Consequently, Armenian mothers give their daughters mixed messages all the time. On the one hand, they tell them that it's important to be independent and get an education, and then turn around and tell them that it's important to marry a man with a lucrative job. So, women go to school and acquire higher levels of education. On the other hand, they are looking to "marry well". But then, they realize that the amount of material comfort that might have satisfied their mothers isn't going to satisfy them. In fact, no amount of material wealth can be satisfactory, but they don't seem to ever come to that conclusion. So, they go looking for more, bigger, better, brighter, shinier, newer, faster. None of it keeps its meaning. And it's a shame because at the same time, the men are being taught that if they can provide these material things to their women, they can be assured of a happy life, a happy marriage, and sex on a regular basis. But this doesn't work out because the women are never impressed, never satisfied. And, the really horrible thing that happens among Armenian women is the competition they are in with each other. Siranoush has a new Mercedes. Maralig wants one. Hagop took Mariam to Cancun for her birthday. Nazeli is upset and won't have sex with Garo because he just started a new business and doesn't have the money just now for a vacation. But none of it is meaningful because the foundation is wrong.

I put the blame on the parents who just haven't taken the time to think and realize that those things that meant something in their lives, those things that they aspired to in the cultures they grew up in, don't hold the same meaning. And so entire generations of Armenians are growing up without a real grounding on what the "good life" is, because they have just accepted their parents' definition of it without questioning it or thinking about what their own meaning would be.

Maybe it's going to take another generation or two. But the problem is systemic and everybody plays a part in it. And when people like me come in and say, hold on, look at the part you play in the crisis and then look at other people's contributions, I end up being vilified. I know what the crisis is. I understand it from a personal level, and intellectual level, a cultural level, and a professional level. And I know that the solutions are not going to come easily and without every single individual doing their own self-examination.

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
          The loneliness is actually caused by society making individuals feel like they are less of a person because they are single. Women (esp. the feminist types) usually try to make guys feel like less of a man because they don't "have a woman". However, it's ok for a woman to be independent, especially when her independence comes from receiving payments from some guy she screwed over.
          Loneliness is actually a big piece of what it is to be human. We are implicitly separate from other human beings, and can never go back to the mother-child dyad where boundaries are blurred, and where the blurring of boundaries is necessary for the infant's survival. But, Armenian mothers don't seem to get that children are separate from them, and that they must separate and make lives with other people. There isn't adequate individuation. And so, people never learn how to be OK when they're alone. Loneliness and solitude are two very different things. Even in a marriage people can feel very lonely at times, and it's exacerbated by the fact that, hey, they're married, and they got married because they weren't supposed to feel the bite of loneliness ever again.

I don't know which feminists you've been talking to, but I don't think making men feel inadequate for not having a woman is part of the feminist agenda. In fact, that goes counter to what feminists think, and that is that men and women are different but equal.

For every man who you think got screwed over and has to pay alimony and child support, I know just as many dead-beat dads, and even a number of men who are demanding that their working ex-wives pay THEM for child support. These people should not have been married to begin with, and they should not have had children, because it's the children who end up suffering at the end of the day.

Women need to understand that it is their job to make themselves happy (just as they need to learn that they have a role to play in their own sexual satisfaction...knowing how to orgasm). Husbands can't do it for them. Children can't do it. It is up to the individual to figure out what it is that makes her happy. Once that is in place, then life happens. It's a huge paradox, but it is just the way it is. Unhappy people will never be happy due to the actions of another human being. Bitter people will not lose their bitterness by expecting others to think or behave in particular ways.

And no, it isn't enough just to be educated and have a lucrative job, or a fine car or nice physique. You also have to have character and an ability to see the other person's subjectivity. If you feel like a woman isn't giving you enough of a chance, ask her what is missing in her life. I bet you her answer will not be what you expect it to be, and it will probably have nothing at all to do with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Flamenkita View Post
            @ArmSurvival. First of all, I think I'm considerably older than you, and second, I am a practicing clinical psychologist. So, even if I haven't seen things or experienced things first hand, I have talked with enough people and worked with enough people to know what the problems are and what potential solutions are.

You can't simply reduce it to "a nice guy who gets screwed by party girls". I know just as many women who have been "forced into celibacy" because of a lack of decent men. In fact, it is kind of surprising to me to hear you say that women have all the control. That just simply is not true.

I was raised in the US. My parents were profoundly restrictive of me until I left for college. And I arrived at college with hardly any experience in the realm of dating or even just friendship with men. And it was as if I was thrown to the wolves. There I was. Young, attractive, intelligent, and absolutely clueless as to how to interpret others' intentions. Of course I fell in with some "bad boys", but mostly I blame my own naivety for that. And for that, I blame my parents who didn't give me adequate preparation for some of the most important things in life. I also didn't have siblings, so no role models. I had to pretty much figure it out on my own. And I did. But it took a long time, and lots of bad choices.

The worst thing parents can do to their children is to shelter them too much and then send them out into the world. The second piece, the going out into the world, is inevitable nowadays. But the first part, the adequate preparation for social and relational things, is part of a parent's job, unless they are living in a tight traditional environment where people have no choice but to fall into step with everyone else. But if you are raising your children in the US and expect them to make lives for themselves in the US, then you have to prepare them for that.

I think Armenian parents need to be way more open with their children than they have been, with boys as well as with girls. I know many guys who are under the impression that earning enough money for luxuries is adequate for securing a satisfying relationship with a woman. And when this doesn't come to pass, they are angry at the women rather than at their own parents who failed to prepare them for life in the real world. Consequently, Armenian mothers give their daughters mixed messages all the time. On the one hand, they tell them that it's important to be independent and get an education, and then turn around and tell them that it's important to marry a man with a lucrative job. So, women go to school and acquire higher levels of education. On the other hand, they are looking to "marry well". But then, they realize that the amount of material comfort that might have satisfied their mothers isn't going to satisfy them. In fact, no amount of material wealth can be satisfactory, but they don't seem to ever come to that conclusion. So, they go looking for more, bigger, better, brighter, shinier, newer, faster. None of it keeps its meaning. And it's a shame because at the same time, the men are being taught that if they can provide these material things to their women, they can be assured of a happy life, a happy marriage, and sex on a regular basis. But this doesn't work out because the women are never impressed, never satisfied. And, the really horrible thing that happens among Armenian women is the competition they are in with each other. Siranoush has a new Mercedes. Maralig wants one. Hagop took Mariam to Cancun for her birthday. Nazeli is upset and won't have sex with Garo because he just started a new business and doesn't have the money just now for a vacation. But none of it is meaningful because the foundation is wrong.

I put the blame on the parents who just haven't taken the time to think and realize that those things that meant something in their lives, those things that they aspired to in the cultures they grew up in, don't hold the same meaning. And so entire generations of Armenians are growing up without a real grounding on what the "good life" is, because they have just accepted their parents' definition of it without questioning it or thinking about what their own meaning would be.

Maybe it's going to take another generation or two. But the problem is systemic and everybody plays a part in it. And when people like me come in and say, hold on, look at the part you play in the crisis and then look at other people's contributions, I end up being vilified. I know what the crisis is. I understand it from a personal level, and intellectual level, a cultural level, and a professional level. And I know that the solutions are not going to come easily and without every single individual doing their own self-examination.
            Huh? I'm not even going to bother wasting my time tearing this apart... I don't have the patience. Feel free ArmSurvival.
            "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Women need to understand that it is their job to make themselves happy (just as they need to learn that they have a role to play in their own sexual satisfaction...knowing how to orgasm).
              America didn't know that women had orgasms until Dr. Ruth the Hrya witch doctor

Comment

America didn't know that women had orgasms until Dr. Ruth the Hrya witch doctor
                What's your point?

Comment

What's your point?
                  My point is the reason America is so F'd up is because there is no such thing as "shame" or what you should know as "amot". It's good though, if you're a psychiatrist since the more F'd up it is, the more clients you get. I mean, if you were working on prevention, you'd be out of a job.

Comment

My point is the reason America is so F'd up is because there is no such thing as "shame" or what you should know as "amot". It's good though, if you're a psychiatrist since the more F'd up it is, the more clients you get. I mean, if you were working on prevention, you'd be out of a job.
                    Sometimes I feel like I'm conversing with my grandfather instead of a man who's probably young enough to be my son!

Also, most of the crazies are walking around the streets. If only they'd seek help, especially those with narcissistic personality disorder.

Comment

Sometimes I feel like I'm conversing with my grandfather instead of a man who's probably young enough to be my son!

Also, most of the crazies are walking around the streets. If only they'd seek help, especially those with narcissistic personality disorder.
                      Great story babe. Now get in the kitchen and make me a sandwich.

Before you get your feathers all ruffled, that was a joke .

Comment

Working...
                      X