Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nagorno-Karabagh: Military Balance Between Armenia & Azerbaijan

Originally posted by Mher View Post
    Yeah I'm not sure about the logic behind the decision either. It seems very random and unplanned, to randomly take on this loan
    There hasn't been any sudden move by Azerbaijan- that we know of - that requires such a drastic move
    However, I hope its put to good use, and means war is completely avoided, and I definitely hope there is a plan to pay it back
    the debt to GDP level, even with the loan from the EU a few months back, is within a reasonable and manageable range
    Exactly,hopefully they are gonna put it towards the airforce and get a new fleet of game changing jets,our AF is crying for attention :/
    The loans are out of control they borrowed another 100 mil last week for vedi water and power project too and many other smaller loans

Comment

Originally posted by Aslanov
      You are going to "avoid war" with 200 million dollars? Or do you really think such an amount (it's definetly not a big amount) is enough to actually change something? Even with "cheaper prices" it's not really much, certainly not against the amounts Azerbaijan has spent and will spend. Also this amount would be probably spread to more than one year, so in such context it becomes even less impressive. Even Turkey has exported more than 100 million usd worth weaponry to Azerbaijan in last years, and it's not even a significant supplier of arms to Azerbaijan (as of yet).

To give you an example, when Azerbaijan took delivery of 12 Mi-35M in 2013 (out of 24), only the cost of helicopters (not including the many other details of the contract) in total were $250 million, for 12 helicopters in that single year. And I suppose you think that Armenia is going to acquire starships with that amount, since you think that you could spend such amount and "avoid a war".
      I believe Mher was expressing his desire (and general Armenian populations desire) to avoid a war.
      We are Armenians and not turcees, we don't need to buy billions of dollars of weapons to compensate for being spineless like the tatar turcs to our east.
      You can bring your hoards if you like, that's your decision, if and when you find the balls.
      We are ready to fight TODAY.
      Maybe just another couple of billion worth of weapons and you'll be done with the talking (boasting lol) part.

Comment

You are going to "avoid war" with 200 million dollars? What kind of "deterrence" (probably this is what you mean) could you create with such amount?

The conditions “to avoid war” have been in place for a considerable time.
        It has worked ..... it is working .... always room for improvement and fine tuning.

Sultan Aliev has threatened with war, has bought massive amount of weapons with “the view to start a war”.
        Then in an idiotic manner he starts complaining that the Armenians are the aggressors, have occupied their land and the Armenians are not being reasonable.

To have a war you have to have a war leader.
        The present Sultan is not a war leader.
        The only war he is prepared to fight is against his own people.
        So if you want a war first have a go at changing your Sultan.
        Last edited by londontsi; 06-27-2015, 10:10 PM.
        Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
        Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
        Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Nagorno-Karabakh Defense Army

Comment

http://armenpress.am/eng/news/809711...n-dollars.html

Armenia will finish the year with a debt of 4.9 billion dollars...that's around 40% of the GDP which will hopefully hit 11 billion this year. Somewhat acceptable.

The 200 million $ loan, if used appropriately, could significantly boost our capabilities if directed towards a single unit...like missile forces or air-defense. I know that idea of having jets is tempting but I would still argue that jets are going to be really costly for Armenia and strategically will not change anything in the balance of forces. I'd rather see that money being spent on either:

Air Defense: purchasing Buk or Pantsir units (or upgrading our S-125s to S-125 pechoras and OSA-AKAs to OSA-AKMs)
            Missile Forces: Tochka-U
            Infantry: Anti-tank missiles and proper night vision and thermal vision equipment

I think this would make more sense than spending the 200mil on 10 Yak-130s that can be brought down like flies by azeri anti-aircraft systems or getting some downgraded 2nd hand MiG-29s that won't make any difference considering our enemy's airforce cannot operate over our skies as long as we upgrade and improve our air-defense systems.
            Last edited by ArmeniaSacra; 06-28-2015, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmeniaSacra View Post

Armenia will finish the year with a debt of 4.9 billion dollars...that's around 40% of the GDP which will hopefully hit 11 billion this year. Somewhat acceptable.

The 200 million $ loan, if used appropriately, could significantly boost our capabilities if directed towards a single unit...like missile forces or air-defense. I know that idea of having jets is tempting but I would still argue that jets are going to be really costly for Armenia and strategically will not change anything in the balance of forces. I'd rather see that money being spent on either:

Air Defense: purchasing Buk or Pantsir units (or upgrading our S-125s to S-125 pechoras and OSA-AKAs to OSA-AKMs)
              Missile Forces: Tochka-U
              Infantry: Anti-tank missiles and proper night vision and thermal vision equipment

I think this would make more sense than spending the 200mil on 10 Yak-130s that can be brought down like flies by azeri anti-aircraft systems or getting some downgraded 2nd hand MiG-29s that won't make any difference considering our enemy's airforce cannot operate over our skies as long as we upgrade and improve our air-defense systems.
              We're getting 10 yaks? Doesnt seem bad

Comment

Originally posted by ArmeniaSacra View Post

..... spending the 200mil on 10 Yak-130s
                Do you have a reference for this.

Will they be able to operate from Stepanagerd airport.
                Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
                Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
                Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

You are going to "avoid war" with 200 million dollars? What kind of "deterrence" (probably this is what you mean) could you create with such amount?
                  One word, Iskander. And what londotsi said.

Also, are you the guy who passed the "Bilzerian sends weapons to Artsakh army" stuff to Azer media? They even used a screen shot from this forum in their article.

Were your likely employers satisfied with the answers you got for this question?

Comment

Nagorno-Karabakh Air Defence

Comment

Originally posted by londontsi View Post
                      Do you have a reference for this.

Will they be able to operate from Stepanagerd airport.
                      May you got me wrong bro...a Yak-150 costs about 15mil a unit for 200mil we can get like 10 or a bit more...Be optimistic and say 15 units..what's that gonna change in the balance? What will a Yak-130 do against the current Azeri air defense? let alone the costs of maintaining them...i'd rather see this money spend on other equipment

Comment

Working...
                      X