Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Iranian-Armenian relations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iranian-Armenian relations

This one is much better and more objective:
    http://www.rozanehmagazine.com/NoveD...zariINDEX.HTML

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
      Since Armenia's Independence, Armenia has been a mostly homogeneous state, the natural result of population transfers. It is not really able to incorporate large scale immigration from non-Armenian ethnic groups and remain "Armenia". Armenians don't want to go to Iran and preach anti-Iranian-ism, they just want to maintain an Armenia for Armenians and feel threatened by being too open with foreigners, especially if they regard Armenia as some kind of haven to run away to because things aren't doing so well in their country. The idea is, you're welcome to come to Armenia, if you want to be an Armenian. This rule of thumb applies to Diasporan Armenians too, who, despite their identity of at the least being of Armenian descent, are not always compatible with the mainstream population of Armenia in terms of culture and national attitudes. Armenians tend to identify very strongly with their church, so that is an instant barrier to largescale immigration of Muslims, whether they are Turkic, Iranian, Cherkes, you name it . Armenians tend to identify very strongly with their language too. So if Iranians want to enter Armenia to find a safe haven, all Mos is really saying here is that it would be in our state's interest to require them to overcome these barriers, by complying with them. The modern republic of Armenia has never been a multicultural nation, I don't think it can be unless it wants to forfeit its identity as a nation for Armenians. If this insults you, then what can I say... Armenians have fought Persians before, and lost because they were much more feeble in might. That is what the battle of Avarayr epically portrays. But the moral is that Armenians stubbornly defended their identity. That is also why Armenians were genocided in recent history. That is the price to be Armenian and desire to remain Armenian at all costs... Not easy huh? So please try to understand Mos' xenophobia from this perspective.
      good post aper.
      Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
      ---
      "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

Originally posted by Persopolis View Post
        True. But Iran is the only country that shares a border with Armenia that is adverse to Pan-Turks, and has power to do something about it -- also in Armenia's case, it is also flanked on the East and West by 2 Pan-Turk oriented states. I doubt a 3rd will improve Armenia's condition. Would Russia then go along with a Turkish-Super-State surrounding Armenia? Who knows. Who wants to even take that risk? Prevention is the best cure.
        I am not denying the role which Iran has played and continues to play in the war against pan-turanism. I just wanted to point out that Armenia and Iran have allies in this fight and that the issue affects a wider region than just the Trans Caucasus.
        For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
        to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
          I am not denying the role which Iran has played and continues to play in the war against pan-turanism. I just wanted to point out that Armenia and Iran have allies in this fight ....
          I know you're not denying Iran's role in the fight against the Turks (either historical or at the present). The point I wanted to clearly convey is that, in my opinion, Iranians exposed to statements, like the ones Mos frequently writes, will change gears and not want to be 'allies with Armenians.'

When judging the truthfulness of my assertion, it is important to look at it through Iranian-eyes (not Armenian eyes) because ultimately Iranians will be offended based on Iranian-sensibilites to disparaging comments against them.

A Simple Reality Check By Way of a 2 Part Test (Not Intended to Insult Anyone):

PART 1: Is it possible that an Iranian will read the comments below? Yes.

Originally posted by Mos View Post
          no sensible Armenian family would accept a Muslim and you would have a really hard time being accepted in Armenia.
          Originally posted by Mos View Post
          Go pray towards Mecca and shout 'allahu akbar'
          PART 2: Is it possible that a single Iranian that reads the above comments, or hears about them through word-of-mouth, will take offense and burn down this Church under the rationale that; 'If the Armenian's disrespect our faith, why should we defend theirs for centuries'?

Answer to PART 2: Yes, I am suggesting that history shows, in every country, negative events have been triggered by statements, like the quotes above. I'm Iranian. I know how some Iranians will view Mos's statements. (I'm just trying to notify you in an abundance of caution). It only takes one person to react negatively and to take some form of vigilante action. Ergo, is it responsible to let Mos continue as he has on this particular thread? Not in my opinion; but I can only give you my advice as a friend. If I didn't care about Armenians, I wouldn't be wasting my breath.

And you can be certain that the Azeris play-up this theme all of the time, with slogans like:

"Why is Muslim Iran, supporting Christian Armenia against Muslim Azerbaijan?"

Mos's statements make it easier for people to shift their attitudes. And all it really takes is for 1 person to be offended and decide to take action for tangible harm to result.

My guess is that you will find it hollow if some rift like this develops and the Iranian authorities say, please try to understand "Mr. Iranian-Church-Burner's" xenophobia from the perspective that he was just defending his people and his faith.
          V
          V
          So please try to understand Mos' xenophobia from this perspective.
          Like I said, I understand what Xenophobia is: [Def: "Xenophobia is defined as the irrational hatred or fear of foreigners, strangers or their culture." Oxford Standard English Dictionary,' Oxford Press, 2004.] You don't have to worry about me understanding Mos's xenophobia - you have to worry about some unsophisticated country-folk in Iran that read or hear about these types of statements by Mos, maybe on a flyer that someone prints up and disseminates, and *hope* that such people do not have a visceral reaction to the statements. You should ask yourself whether such a person will understand Mos's point of view or his xenophobia.

I personally don't need convincing about the logic and rationale behind strong Iran/Armenia ties or the dangers of pan-turanism. But letting an unformed kid guide-&-shape a very negative discussion relating to an historical ally is, in my opinion, counter-productive.
          Last edited by Persopolis; 03-24-2011, 09:26 PM.

Comment

So you're saying we should just behave better on these public forums so that some crazy Iranian kids don't get ideas.

Comment

You still arguing with this kid who does not represent our relations and that couldn’t shut up to save his own life? You got patience my friend.

Originally posted by Persopolis View Post
              Hey, next time you post a video like this give a warning man, you should know how much that could hurts inside (delam tang shod).
              B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by KarotheGreat View Post
                I pro-Iranian relation as long as it's in the best interest of Armenia, that's the only country I really care for.
                You know what this statement reminds me of.......a Turk has no friend but a Turk.
                B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

These public forums do not represent reality.
                  B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Eddo211 View Post
                    You know what this statement reminds me of.......a Turk has no friend but a Turk.
                    What are you talking about? So it's bad to only care for your country? My only allegiance is to Armenia. Any other country is secondary to me.
                    Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
                    ---
                    "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

So you're saying we should just behave better on these public forums so that some crazy Iranian kids don't get ideas.
                      What I wrote above in Post #544 expresses my views - it doesn't need to be elaborated on:

But I will add that, I believe, it is more constructive, for those Armenians that do not know and hold suspicious attitudes towards Iranians, to use the thread to gain critical information, like: (1) Iran has dozens of AG memorials; (2) that the Talysh (Persians) are natural allies of Armenians who live in Azerbaijan and that Armenians could awaken them to help in their cause; (3) that Iran has saved Armenians from several Turkish onslaughts throughout history and provided refuge to Armenians during the AG; (4) that Iran is Armenia's largest trading partner (for the year I checked); (5) that there are many historical Armenian churches in Iran (maybe even more in Iran than Armenia); (6) that Iranians built towns for Armenians to live in as respected and equal citizens; (7) that during the NK war only Iran's borders remained open to Armenia and Iran has not sold any weapons to the Azeris; and (8) fundamentally, that Armenians can, and should, educate themselves about Persian history, as it is inextricably intertwined with their own, and sheds light on some of the challenges they face today.

By George A. Bournoutian, Visiting Professor of Armenian History at Columbia.

“Prior to the third century A.D., Iran had more influence on Armenia's culture than any of its other neighbours [i.e., for thousands of years the Perso-Armeno people were linked]. Intermarriage among the Iranian and Armenian nobility was common. The two peoples shared many religious, political, and linguistic elements and traditions and, at one time, even shared the same dynasty." "The Armenian merchants of Julfa, who had been engaged in international trade for some time, were especially happy with the Iranian capture of Julfa [and the defeat of the invading Turks].” ... "“Persian masons, together with Armenian craftsmen, built the new settlement.” … “Armenians had rights, which were denied other minorities [to account for aspects of their faith, like drinking wine]. They elected their own mayor, or kalantar, rang church bells, had public religious processions, established their own courts, and had no restrictions on clothing or the production of wine. … The Armenian mayor was given one of the shah's royal seals in order to bypass bureaucratic tangles and had jurisdiction over the two dozen Armenian villages around Isfahan." ... “One of the intangible benefits of Armenian economic power in Iran was the transformation of the Armenian self-image. After centuries of conquest by Muslim invaders, Armenians were granted equal and at times even greater privileges than Muslims. This increased prestige extended to the Church as well ...."
                      Access to this information might be a little easier, were it not for posts telling Iranians to "go to Mecca and shout Allah Akbar" and fielding typical *Israeli-style* absurdities about "Mullahs with 9-year old brides." That same energy might be better spent on fighting the information war against the Turks (who, in case anyone hasn't noticed, are Armenia's mortal enemies). At a minimum, you might consider making a special thread called "Mos's Rants Against Iranians" just so there can exist a different thread where the actual Armenian/Iranian relations are discussed. As it stands, people have to dig through a ton of muck to find the on-topic posts.

Last edited by Persopolis; 03-24-2011, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X