Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian cognates w/other languages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Armenian cognates w/other languages

Originally posted by womble View Post
    otar - other, outer
    ays, ayt, ayn - this, that, yon
    arch - arch (latin for bear)
    sharzhel (to move) - charge
    hivand - heave... okay, now I'm getting carried away!
    Those are interesting ones womble. I've thought about sharzhel in the past, I don't know how the meaning of charge in English is related to move, but it may very well be a specialized meaning of a root etymologically related to Armenian Sharzhel.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
      Those are interesting ones womble.
      yeah i never thought of the "otar-other/outer" connection

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
      I don't know how the meaning of charge in English is related to move
      "CHARGE!!!!"

Last edited by ara87; 11-19-2008, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
        otar - other, outer
        ays, ayt, ayn - this, that, yon
        arch - arch (latin for bear)
        sharzhel (to move) - charge
        hivand - heave... okay, now I'm getting carried away!
        English is not a good origin indicator to use here because the English language is fundamentally a bastardized language; its foundation is Germanic, yet it has a vocabulary that is predominantly French and classical Latin, and to a lesser extent Celtic (British) and Scandinavian. For example, the word "charge" is actually a French word meaning to attack or to take responsibility. It may somehow be connected with the Armenian word to move, sharzhel, but it would only mean that its connection is to the French word and not the English word. So, let's bear that in mind.

There are two types of words we are discussing here. One is 'borrowed/loaned' words that are either not native to Armenia (words such as narinj/orange or shakar/sugar) or words that have been borrowed due to religious reasons (such as Shabat or Kahana)... The other is 'inherited' words that were apparently shared by the theorized proto-Indo-European (Aryan) tribes of the prehistoric world before their split.

The following are interrelated 'inherited' words (not loaned/borrowed words) that I have personally noticed between Armenian and English, regardless of the origin of the English terms in question. Also note that some of the Armenian words may be of ancient Parthian/Persian origin.

Let's play:

Kov (Cow), muk (mouse), sqiyur (squirrel), vagr (tiger), katu (cat), shun (hound), lusin (lunar), lus-aber (light bearer/Lucifer), armuk (elbow), ach (eye), vod (foot), get (wet), tur (door), ber (bear/burden), qar/qarord (quarter/four), tarnal (to turn), ser (sex), serm (sperm), kark (cart), hot (herd), jisht (just), her (hair), shakal (jackal), ut-el (eat), ls-el (to listen), es-el (to say), qar (rock pronounced backwards), kuj (jug pronounced backwards), lav (well pronounced backwards), ov (who pronounced backwards), buys/tup (bush), tsul (bull), entanur (entire), otar (other), nor (new), glor (globe), meas (meat), mayr (mother), hayr (father), dustr (daughter), yeghbayr (brother), khor-ovel (char-broil), duyl (pail), gini (wine), berd (fort), patker (picture), petur (feather), kt-rel (to cut), manr (mini), mrmral (murmur), tapalel (topple), mets (mega), hur (fire/pyr), du (you), astgh (star/aster), jarb (lard), em (I am), charcharel (torture), mich (middle), ayo (yes/ay/ya), vorb (orphan), hod (odor), lao (lad), metagh (metal), patizh (punish), sirt (heart), dev (devil), surb (saint), kam (come), mid (mind), aq (axle), partez (garden), paytsar (bright), hasdad (fasten), sprel (spread/spew), srs-gich (syringe), lezu (lingual), mer-nil (mortal), vat (bad), ayt/da (that), e (the), jerm (worm), sard (spider), vort (worm), sur (sword), bayts (but), agh (salt), barg (bag), qsak (sack), at-el (to hate), gam (come), la-l (to lament), yur (your/his/her), chl-el (to chuck) ard (yard/orchard), goriz (core), gna (go), qats (kick), sirt (heart), amur (armor???), hska (husky???), ashun (autumn???), zndan (dungeon???)...

Anymore?
        Last edited by Armenian; 11-30-2008, 08:05 PM.
        Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Nice contribution Armenian!

And yes you're right about the fact that not all the words we are referring to in English are inherited. There's so many of these cases that it hardly needs mentioning anymore, then again, many people simply don't realize.

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
            Kov (Cow), muk (mouse), sqiyur (squirrel), vagr (tiger), katu (cat), shun (hound), lusin (lunar), lus-aber (light bearer/Lucifer), armuk (elbow), ach (eye), vod (foot), get (wet), tur (door), ber (bear/burden), qar/qarord (quarter/four), tarnal (to turn), ser (sex), serm (sperm), kark (cart), hot (herd), jisht (just), her (hair), shakal (jackal), ut-el (eat), ls-el (to listen), es-el (to say), qar (rock pronounced backwards), kuj (jug pronounced backwards), lav (well pronounced backwards), ov (who pronounced backwards), buys/tup (bush), tsul (bull), entanur (entire), otar (other), nor (new), glor (globe), meas (meat), khor-ovel (char-broil), duyl (pail), gini (wine), berd (fort), patker (picture), petur (feather), kt-rel (to cut), manr (mini), mrmral (murmur), tapalel (topple), mets (mega), hur (fire/pyr), du (you), astgh (star/aster), jarb (lard), em (I am), charcharel (torture), mich (middle), ayo (yes/ay/ya), vorb (orphan), hod (odor), lao (lad), metagh (metal), patizh (punish), sirt (heart), dev (devil), surb (saint), kam (come), mid (mind), aq (axle), partez (garden), paytsar (bright), hasdad (fasten), sprel (spread/spew), vat (bad), ayt/da (that), jerm (worm), sard (spider), vort (worm), atel (hate???) amur (armor???), hska (husky???), ashun (autumn???), zndan (dungeon???)...

Anymore?
            her in Armenian means hair?

I have always heard/ used the word maz as well as vars referring to hair.

Now let's compare it with some Persian words:

Armenian/ Persian:

Panir/panir, kuj/kuze, nur/ anar, nizak/neyze, vat/ bad, drnaban/ darban, koshik/ kafsh, mek/ yek, chors/ chahar, hing/ panj, yot/ haft, ut/ hasht, in/ noh, tas/ dah, spitak/ sepid, sev/ siyah, gayl/ gorg, yar/ yar, pogh/ pul, karmir/ ghermez, mijin/ miyane, maz/ mu, armunk/ arenj, arjan/ arzan, bakht/ bakht, arjani/ arzani, matit/ medad, tsurd/ sard, ayd/ an, du/ to, menk/ ma, petur/ par, shakar/ shekar, takhtak/ takhte, astgh/ setare, nor/ no, muk/ mush, zrah/ zereh, gohar/ gohar, tshnami/ doshman, das/ dars, dur/ dar, barak/ barik, pigh/ fil, kov/ gav, katu/ gorbe, gulba/ jurab, karag/ kare, razmakan/ razmi...

Add more if you can.
            Last edited by jgk3; 11-26-2008, 08:34 PM. Reason: sorry, accident...

Comment

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
              her in Armenian means hair?

I have always heard/ used the word maz as well as vars referring to hair.
              Indeed Lucin jan. «Հեր», «մազ» եւ «վարս» հոմանիշ բառեր են։ Բայց «մազ» ամենէն գործածուածն է ամէն օրուայ խօսակցութեան մէջ։
              Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

«Ծամ»ն եք մորանում...

There are 'four' words denoting "hair" in Armenian; ծամ, հեր, մազ եւ վարս. These words may indicate the presence of four different prehistoric tribal groups within Armenia's ethnogenesis.

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

I use maz the most for hair. What about the rest of you?
                  For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
                  to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
                    «Ծամ»ն եք մորանում...

There are 'four' words denoting "hair" in Armenian; ծամ, հեր, մազ եւ վարս. These words may indicate the presence of four different prehistoric tribal groups within Armenia's ethnogenesis.
                    Which ones do you mean? And I wonder how you make the correlation. By the etymology of the words?

Comment

Which ones do you mean? And I wonder how you make the correlation. By the etymology of the words?
                      Lucin jan, I had no particular "tribe" in mind when I made the comment. It was just a speculation on my part, albeit linguistically speaking a sound speculation. As we all know, language is unique to nations but all nations are more-or-less derived from tribal mixes. There are very few, if any, pure/unmixed nations on earth today. More isolated a nation is geographically less mixed they tend to be. When a nation's language has more than one word for one item (as in the Armenian case with the word, hair) it's very probably that in antiquity other linguistic groups were either absorbed into the 'proto' Armenian language or was influence by some political force. Although generally speaking only 'one' language gets to dominate in a linguistic group, the language retains some remnants of other absorbed or influential languages, be it in dialect, lexicon or grammar. We Armenians are a conglomeration, a mix, of various different Anatolian (Asia Minor) and Caucasian tribes. The evidence for this is our history (Urartu), our diverse physical appearance and our unique language, which has an Aryan (Indo-European) foundation but is heavily influence by Caucasian (Kartavelian) and other yet unknown influences.

By the way, in your Armenian/Persian list you did not differentiate between words that have been borrowed and words that have been inherited. The interesting part in this discussion are the 'inherited' words, not the borrowed words. Don't you think it's more interesting to figure out how English and Armenian have almost identical words for "squirrel" (Arm: սկյուռ) and "hair" (Arm: հեր) then "Internet" or "Football"?

The inherited words imply that the two languages in question were derived from one root while borrowed words simply imply that there was cultural/political contact between the two languages. I would suspect most of the Persian words found in Armenian today is borrowed during the pre-Islamic period of the Persian Empire. Due to the closeness of the two peoples during antiquity it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to find the inherited words between the two languages.

I would also like to add two additional words (and one suspect word) that Armenian shares with English:

Agh/Al (Salt)

Barg (bag)

Qsak (sack???)

Նժդեհ

Comment

Working...
                      X