Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenian cognates w/other languages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Armenian cognates w/other languages

It's overwhelmingly true that one should take caution when looking for inherited words in Armenian that have cognates in Persian.

Agh and Salt are indeed descended from the same root "Sal", though they are not strikingly obvious as similar. It think it's worthy to point out to Armenians that in many words with gh from our language were shifts from an L sound in PIE, as odd as it may seem. Shifts from using the tip of the tongue to using the center of your tongue aren't very common changes and I'd like to find out if Armenian experienced an intermediary sound during this shift at one point. It might help me see this shift as not so odd.

For bag, we say Baysag (the only word for bag that I use in Armenian), do you think this is related to the word for Bag, let alone Sack (which is actually a french borrowing, "sac") in English? Could it be a case of exaptation (fusing two words into one seamless form, inheriting a specialized or unifying meaning) between Barg and Qsag?

Comment

I also use maz for hair and I have never used the words mentioned for bag. I always thought it was soomka.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
        For bag, we say Baysag (the only word for bag that I use in Armenian), do you think this is related to the word for Bag, let alone Sack (which is actually a french borrowing, "sac") in English?
        In Armenian the word Պայուսակ (Bayusag/Payusak) means a hand held bag. The general word for "bag" in Armenian is Պարկ (Barg/Park).

We also find the word Պարկ in bagpipe - Պարկաբզուկ (Bargapzuk/Parkabzuk)

And we see it in backpack as well - Ուսապարկ/Դիմաապարկ (Usabarg/Usapark or Dimabarg/Timapark)

A little bag (or a shopping bag) is Տոպրակ (dobrag/toprak)

A big bag (the bag Santa Claus puts his toys) is Մեշոկ (meshok)

The word for sack is "Քսակ" (qsak), although Քսակ as well as Դրամապանակ are now used for wallet.
        Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
          otar - other, outer
          ays, ayt, ayn - this, that, yon
          arch - arch (latin for bear)
          sharzhel (to move) - charge
          hivand - heave... okay, now I'm getting carried away!
          I didn't retain much from 4 years of Latin but I believe the word for bear is ursus -a. As in the constellations Ursa Major/Minor.

You're talking about Greek: arktos.

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian View Post
            In Armenian the word Պայուսակ (Bayusag/Payusak) means a hand held bag. The general word for "bag" in Armenian is Պարկ (Barg/Park).

We also find the word Պարկ in bagpipe - Պարկաբզուկ (Bargapzuk/Parkabzuk)

And we see it in backpack as well - Ուսապարկ/Դիմաապարկ (Usabarg/Usapark or Dimabarg/Timapark)

A little bag (or a shopping bag) is Տոպրակ (dobrag/toprak)

A big bag (the bag Santa Claus puts his toys) is Մեշոկ (meshok)

The word for sack is "Քսակ" (qsak), although Քսակ as well as Դրամապանակ are now used for wallet.
            Thanks, I found this very helpful. Do you find that the verb "perel/berel" are related to some of these forms for bag, like barg or dobrag? Look at the p(vowel)r or b(vowel)r distributions.

Comment

mrmral (murmur)
              It is easy to speculate that this was an onomatopoeia that could've produced a form in Armenian unrelated to some kind of PIE root. I know that Latin has the exact same form as in English, it's possible English got it from there.

Comment

lus-aber (light bearer/Lucifer)
                Implicit in your example is that «լուսին» եւ «լոյս» also share the same root, derived/inherited from the Latin lux (lucis).

Comment

not quite. There is no evidence that Armenian inherits words of such basic elemental significance in a language from Latin. There seems to be more evidence that the different branches of Indo-European each derived their own words for light from the PIE form. It's not surprising to find such elemental words having such elemental roots.

This is not a case of Romanian language where some extremely elemental words are inherited either from Romance or from Slavic, as the geographical region was significantly engulfed in the presence of Latin and Slavic languages during different periods. To illustrate, Romanian is well known for being a Romance language with Slavic tendencies. It's basic vocabulary is Romance (inherited from Latin), but such elemental words as yes and no, or love, take on the Slavic forms, likely because they were more convenient for communicating such elemental concepts with the influx of Slavic migrants after the Roman period into and around the region of Dachia/Rumania.

I don't see how this could be compared to the case between Latin and Armenian; even though Latin had incorporated Armenia into its empire briefly, it was not an intense enough involvement to start toying with our most elemental vocabulary and make us use Latin forms instead.
                  Last edited by jgk3; 11-26-2008, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
                    not quite. There is no evidence that Armenian inherits words of such basic elemental significance in a language from Latin.
                    [Rome] had incorporated Armenia into its empire briefly.
                    I see no evidence to the contrary; i.e. that the Latin root "lux, lucis" has not influenced the Armenian word for light "luys". It may have been an independently derived root as you said but even you admit that Latin and Armenian had contact with each other. And even though Armenia was only shortly a province of the Empire, I am sure that they had trade and political relationships, before and after.

At the very least, it's something that deserves being looked into.
                    Last edited by yerazhishda; 11-26-2008, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yerazhishda View Post
                      I see no evidence to the contrary; i.e. that the Latin root "lux, lucis" has not influenced the Armenian word for light "luys". It may have been an independently derived root as you said but even you admit that Latin and Armenian had contact with each other. And even though Armenia was only shortly a province of the Empire, I am sure that they had trade and political relationships, before and after.
                      I would like to point out that Latin pronounced their "c"s as "k"s, so Caesar was pronounced Kaysar (Germans were the only ones who got the pronouncing like the Roman one in "Kaiser").

Turning Luk (Phonetic pronunciation of the Latin root for light) into Armenian Luys requires an apt phonologically described process in Armenian that would explain such a transformation of the Latin form to produce our word. You could note more similarity in the nominative/genitive form Lukis (Lucis) to Armenian Luys. If you could build a case of Armenian language at some point in its history liking to borrow Latin nominative/genitive forms, that would help you sound more convincing.

Personally, I also have a feeling that the Armenian usage of Luys derived from purely Indo-European inheritance began much earlier than even the birth of Rome. Armenian, do you have any sources that could help confirm this? Are there records in Ancient Armenian mythology that have a related form of Armenian "Luys"?
                      Last edited by jgk3; 11-26-2008, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X