Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Ataturks statue in Israel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fair reply

Fair reply Eti, and its nice that everyone can discuss this without any argumentum ad hominem or personal attacks, lets get into this though :

I can understand that it is hard to convert a country from a religious monarchy to a secular democracy (although democracy here should be used with hyphens), but the problem is that many countries have done just that, without any manner of bloodshed toward foreign people (in this case the Republic of Armenia), which argue if you want was an illegal attack on Armenian soil merely to take lands because Kemal was not happy with the Treaty of Sevres this also removed the promise of a Kurdish homeland.
    Now lets just for two seconds say that this did not happen, that Turkey immediately admitted to the Armenian genocide, never invaded Armenia and never oppressed Kurds, do you think there would be some of the conflicts Turkey faces today as well. For one thing, the Turkish government would not need to whine about the PKK, because they would have no reason to fight guerilla wars as they would have their Kurdistan, we wouldn't be debating Western Armenia in this context and if the Genocide was recognised, there would be greater love between Turkey and Armenia.

I will agree converting a religious monarchy (whether Christian, Hindu or Muslim) is hard, I'm not saying the other countries who did the same were perfect, they had violence as well, but Kemal had no reason to attack the Country of Armenia.

As to the Arabs, you know as well as I do that during the Ottoman empire they weren't treated kindly, the Arabs and the Greeks were the first people to arise against the Ottomans, go look at the burning of Alexandria, Mardegh square and of course the infamous cleansing of the Hatay province which should have belong to Syria.

I do not understand how you mean that the Armenian Genocide and the Holocaust isn't similar, as this is clearly quite alike. It was the forced deportation and execution of an entire racial/ethnic group for a fanatical ideal.

Now I live in South Africa, we have only had democracy since 1994 and complete equality for all races (believe I know, imagine growing up mixed race, of a Native American race no one knows in this part of the world and a Celtic ancestry which got scorn from both Afrikaners and Englishmen), we aren't perfect, but all races are now equal, if you're black, white, mixed, asian indian or east asian, etc., you are given the same rights, you can live in any area, you speak your language, you can be proud of your descent.

Turkey in many ways mirrors the Apartheid system with their policy towards the Kurds, but it is possible to change.

I will agree it was hard maybe in 1948, but you know as well as I do that some of the policies done in Turkey, like Bloody Sunday and Tarsim is unjustifiable, and these were Turks being killed too by their own government

Comment

Originally posted by Eti View Post

You expect that Turkey should act like Germany, France etc. However, you forget that (although a lot of difficulities) Turkey has almost 90 years historical past and is still trying to be a democracy since 1948, to set up a more democratic system. This takes a lot of time, so you have to wait a few decades more.
      Eti, surprise yourself by researching how long Germany has been a democracy, not very long at all.

Though I appreciate it as genocide you say I am denier. So, this proves again that I was not wrong when I said that “you have biased thoughts about Turkey and Turks and you always tend to believe in negative things about Turkey.”
      Your posts don't directly deny the Genocide but you seem to attempt to minimise it, marginalise it, excuse it even. Is this to make it more easy for you to accept, based on the information drummed into to you by the state?

The Satate of Ottomans doesn’t exist since 1923, Turkey has just inherited some culturel things from the empire. Though Westerners still image Turkey like an Arab country as if that stands on deserts; there are many differences, especially official diffeerences, between Turkey and Ottoman State.
      Such events like Armenian genocide can not be inherited, the only thing that Turkey can do is to try to compansate it in some ways, but this will not be like Germans did I think. There are differences between the two events, to say that "they are simply genocides" is wrong.

Is there another way to say other than that? “it was committed by Ottomans, bacause it was planned by Ottoman administration and committed by Ottoman Army.” Of course as a continuation of the empire, Turkey has some responsibilities for sure.
      Eti, are you contradicting yourself there?
      The Genocide was committed by ottomans, planned by ottoman administration,committed by ottoman army, committed by turkish people.
      ottoman = turkish = ottoman.
      What are the differences between the Genocide and Holocaust?

Show me an example of execution that Ataturk did, except the execution of some extremist muslims during the liberation war from 1919 to 1922. During a war or a revolutionary war, it is inevitable to do such things, as it was done in French, Russian revolution or any other less important revolutions or movements or during so-called revolution that happened in Iran.

Especially the elites of big western countries loved to introduce the communist leaders as executioners and dictators. This was a one of the political pronunciations for their advantages on the world or in their countries. It is a very easy way to accuse Ataturk of being dictator, executioner etc. In today’s Turkey there are people who like to do so.
      My impression was that this was a reference to "killing freedom of speech/thought in turkey, and worse being done "in his name" since 1923.

Comment

I quoted your words in italic and below my answers:

Turkey has almost 90 years historical past and is still trying to be a democracy since 1948.As Ardakilic does, many people inside and outside, criticize Ataturk in such a hard way. But we have to know that it is not an easy thing to convert a state from “an Islamic Monarchy to a Secular Democracy.”

It would be 1946, anyway not important. Turkey is much more democratic in 1908 than it is in 1946. It is a Kemalist imaginery that 1923 is a radical milestone and everything changed dramatically after the Republic. But this is not so.

In Turkey there were / are a little number of people whose origins have been from Arabs most of them live in Hatay, Kilis, Adana, Urfa, Gaziantep today. They still live there and were never deported to anywhere.

I donot mean Anatolian Arabs. Remember that in 1908 Syria, Iraq, Palestine and Hijazz belongs to Ottoman empire. And remember how Ittihadists behave Arab people. Today, do not most of Turkish nation think "Arab betrayed us"? Isnt it strange that this discourse looks very similar to "Amenians betrayed us"?

Show me an example of execution that Ataturk did, except the execution of some extremist muslims during the liberation war from 1919 to 1922.

Huh, that's funny. I am sorry i dont want to ridicule but that's so nonsense. Which one shall i count? Kockiri, Dersim, Ali Sukru Bey, Deli Halit Pasha, Iskilipli Atif, Izmır Assasination Conspiracy, Takrir-i Sukun, Serbest Firka Event...

It is a very easy way to accuse Ataturk of being dictator, executioner etc. In today’s Turkey there are people who like to do so.

It is not an accusation my friend, he was dictator. Maybe you can call him benevolent dictator (or enlightened despot) or maybe you can call him, like me, simply a dictator, but he was dictator. It is so simple; read the definition, look at the events and match.

Eti, i beg you skip that rubbish "little number of people whose origins have been from Arabs". It is very official discourse like "Kurdish-originated Turkish people, Armenian-originated Turkish citizen" blah blah blah... Say the truth directly, it will set us free: Turks, Arabs, Kurds and Armenians. Nation-state baloney.

Comment

benevolent dictator (or enlightened despot)

That sounded so accurate man and quite good, it should a song title

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro Xaramillo

It is a political science terminology in fact An englihtment era dream (or nightmare)

Comment

Originally Posted by Eti
              Especially the elites of big western countries loved to introduce the communist leaders as executioners and dictators. This was a one of the political pronunciations for their advantages on the world or in their countries. It is a very easy way to accuse Ataturk of being dictator, executioner etc. In today’s Turkey there are people who like to do so.
              It depends what you mean with "easy".Let me quote:

Numbered 5816 and adopted on 25 July 1951, it states that, “anyone who publicly insults or curses the memory of Atatürk shall be imprisoned with a heavy sentence of between one and three years,” and that “if the crimes outlined are committed publicly will have the penalty imposed increased by a proportion of one-half.” (Human Rights Watch “List”) The law also states that anyone who defaces or breaks a statue or the grave of Atatürk will face up to five years in prison. (HRW “List”)

Source

Comment

Originally posted by ardakilic View Post
                It is a political science terminology in fact An englihtment era dream (or nightmare)
                Regardless I'm using it in a song!

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro Xaramillo View Post
                  Regardless I'm using it in a song!
                  It would be good for a song name I will be supporter:P

Comment

Originally posted by ardakilic View Post
                    I quoted your words in italic and below my answers:
                    Nation-state baloney.
                    Good points.(complete text, I've compressed to save paper.)

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro Xaramillo

Benevolent Dictator had some chart success in the 80s but Enlightened Despot fell out with their record label during their debut world tour.

Comment

Working...
                      X