Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Iranian-Armenian relations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iranian-Armenian relations

Originally posted by Persopolis View Post

1. Under your best guess or information, are a fewer percentage of Armenian women in Iran involved in prostitution than women in Armenia?
    I wouldn't compare the two. Your analogy is faulty here. It is more complicated... Most Iranian-Armenians are well-off contrary to the Armenians of Armenia and quite naturally this may affect the overall social, behavioural outlook of the two group...

2. If 50% women of marrying age face this risk in Armenia (as in the news story says) and the "problem was with themselves" and they weren't "forced" -- why would they have those problems in Armenia and not Iran?
    Oh, so you think such problems are non-existant or rare or less frequent in Iran? Prostitution is unfortunately quite prevalent in a country such as Iran with some imposed religious, social codes. You don't have to be half-nude roaming blatantly in the streets to be called a 'prostitute'. It suffices to go on the streets (as one example) after 8 o'oclock or so to see how prostitution functions in Tehran for instance. It is a known fact that in a strictly 'religious' city such as Ghom (the Iranian Vatican if I may say) prostitution has proved to have much higher rates than other cities... and the problem has been exposed many times in the internal Iranian newspapers... but you try to make it seem as if everything goes quite well in Iran.

3. If the problem is more in Armenia, is there a higher risk for Armenian women getting involved in something like that by moving to Armenia?

4. Lastly, do you think there is a higher chance that Armenian women moving to the U.S. will end up in prostitution than if they move to Iran? Why? or Why not?
    By moving to Armenia or the US, the risk may be higher in the sense that the disguised poor 'innocent' girl finds herself in a more proper environment to 'act' but in reality, she was already a potential prostitute.

Originally posted by Mukuch View Post
    On the street, for such a look she could get arrested: no hair AT ALL can be shown out of headscarf.
    This is not true at all. I would even say that she has dressed rather conservatively...
    Last edited by Lucin; 04-20-2011, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
      It's not about having them follow Western Standards, but giving them the freedom of choice of personal decisions such as what to wear. Why should government have any say in what you wear? Who the hell is government to make that kind of decision for people?
      So why shouldn't people be able to walk around naked? Why should strip clubs have the monopoly on nudity? You're grouping two different groups together, one being society and two being government. Government is generally supposed to represent the people. If the majority of the people want that dress code and the government enforces it by law, then they are doing their job.
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
        So why shouldn't people be able to walk around naked? Why should strip clubs have the monopoly on nudity? You're grouping two different groups together, one being society and two being government. Government is generally supposed to represent the people. If the majority of the people want that dress code and the government enforces it by law, then they are doing their job.
        And you are so sure that the Iranian people who heartedly support the government imposed dress code? Or is it more the older, religious conservative folks that are mainly in control supporting it? So why is that when Iranian women visit Armenia they dress so openly, and some even dress effectively half naked that would make people in a liberal Western city uncomfortable? Even with that however, government has not right to tell people what to wear, there can be a minimal bar (to prevent nudity) but more than that is going over the line. It's the responsibility of the family to determine what their daughters can wear and its the upbringing that should influence them. Having government decide that is stupid and backwards.
        Մեկ Ազգ, Մեկ Մշակույթ
        ---
        "Western Assimilation is the greatest threat to the Armenian nation since the Armenian Genocide."

Comment

So what does Iran's laws have to do with Armenia-Iranian relations? [question directed to Mos]
          You are among the people that can save Armenia - I agree with you. I will give you an answer as to why several people have literally devoted their lives online for the last few years in attempting to cast Iran in an unfavorable light. Either they want to create conditions whereby you are deprived of a regional ally or it shows a failure of the educational system that borders on putting Armenians at risk (neither of which I wish).
          Last edited by Federate; 04-21-2011, 05:43 AM. Reason: troll reply

Comment

Originally posted by Mos View Post
            And you are so sure that the Iranian people who heartedly support the government imposed dress code? Or is it more the older, religious conservative folks that are mainly in control supporting it? So why is that when Iranian women visit Armenia they dress so openly, and some even dress effectively half naked that would make people in a liberal Western city uncomfortable? Even with that however, government has not right to tell people what to wear, there can be a minimal bar (to prevent nudity) but more than that is going over the line. It's the responsibility of the family to determine what their daughters can wear and its the upbringing that should influence them. Having government decide that is stupid and backwards.
            I think you fail to understand how power works. If I own and run a business, I can make my employees wear whatever I choose for them. As elected officials of government, they have the power to enforce any laws which are supported by the people. If the majority of the people are conservative and aren't complaining about the laws then that is their prerogative. Also remember that in every traditional society, the elders are respected as being wise (This was true even with native Indians). If the young generation wants to take power from the old, they better think about working for that right since the old generation worked their butts off to build the world that the youth are destroying. If the government has no right in deciding what people wear, then why are these clothes being banned in Europe? Most likely it's because the fashionistas can't profit from Muslim women.
            "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
              By moving to Armenia or the US, the risk may be higher in the sense that the disguised poor 'innocent' girl finds herself in a more proper environment to 'act' but in reality, she was already a potential prostitute.
              This what I was getting at - in Iran we do a better job of protecting Armenian women from getting involved in the sex trade than the U.S. or Armenia (for whatever reason).

(In fairness I already admitted that every country, including Iran, has prostitution, whether legal or underground.)

(Man ba khanoom dava nadaram aziz; Ba ehteram barat minivisam.)
              Last edited by Federate; 04-21-2011, 05:43 AM. Reason: insults

Comment

(In fairness I already admitted that every country, including Iran, has prostitution, whether legal or underground.)

(Man ba khanoom dava nadaram aziz; Ba ehteram barat minivisam.)
                Ya, sure you would, now that the whole world knows to what catasrophic degrees the problem in Iran has reached.

Comment

Hopefully, now we get back to the serious topic of the strategic relationship between Iran and Armenia

Comment

Iran Seeks ‘Unlimited’ Cooperation With Armenia

Iranian President Mahmud Ahmadinejad reaffirmed Iran’s desire to expand political and economic links with Armenia during weekend talks in Tehran with his visiting Armenian counterpart Serzh Sarkisian.

The two men reviewed bilateral ties and, in particular, the implementation of Armenian-Iranian commercial projects on the sidelines of official celebrations of the ancient Persian Nowruz holiday.

Sarkisian attended the festivities along with the presidents of Afghanistan, Iraq, Tajikistan and Turkmenistan. Several other regional states were represented by more low-level officials.

According to Iran’s English-language Press TV network, Ahmadinejad told Sarkisian on Sunday that Tehran “has placed no limits on the development of cooperation with Yerevan” and wants to deepen ties between the two “friendly neighbors.”

The Iranian Fars news agency reported that the talks focused on ways of “strengthening bilateral cooperation and good neighborly relations.” It said Ahmadinejad stressed the importance of the multimillion-dollar energy and transport projects approved by the two governments.

A statement by the Armenian presidential press service said Sarkisian also reaffirmed Yerevan’s strong interest in their implementation. It said the two presidents specifically discussed ambitions plans to build a railway connecting Armenia with Iran.

The railway construction is estimated to cost at least $1 billion. Neither government has so far identified concrete sources of funding for the project.

Yerevan and Tehran are much closer to starting work on two hydro-electric plants on the Arax river marking the Armenian-Iranian border and a pipeline that will ship Iranian fuel to Armenia.

In a speech delivered during the Nowruz celebrations later on Sunday, Sarkisian described the Armenian-Iranian relationship as “truly exemplary.” “Our friendship and the existence of a thriving Armenian community in Iran is a good example of cooperation and mutual enrichment of the Christian and Islamic civilizations,” he said.

“Cooperation between Armenia and Iran is a history of friendship, tolerance, mutual respect and cultural dialogue,” he added.

Sarkisian’s press office said on Friday that the Armenian leader is also scheduled to meet with Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. However, no such meeting was reported by official Armenian and Iranian sources by Monday evening.

The Armenian and Iranian foreign ministers held separate talks in Tehran on Sunday. The Armenian Foreign Ministry said they discussed a “wide range issues related to bilateral relations.”

The Islamic Republic’s growing ties its sole Christian neighbor appear to have caused serious unease in Azerbaijan. In a series of public statements made last month, several pro-government members of Azerbaijan’s parliament accused Iran of pursuing an “anti-Azerbaijani” policy and demanded that Baku scale back relations with Tehran.

The Azerbaijani government has until now avoided endorsing such accusations or publicly demanding that Iran join in Azerbaijan’s and Turkey’s long-running economic blockade of Armenia. Still, Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev was conspicuously absent from the Nowruz celebrations in Tehran.

Iranian President Mahmud Ahmadinejad reaffirmed Iran’s desire to expand political and economic links with Armenia during weekend talks in Tehran with his visiting Armenian counterpart Serzh Sarkisian.

Comment

I think you fail to understand how power works. If I own and run a business, I can make my employees wear whatever I choose for them. As elected officials of government, they have the power to enforce any laws which are supported by the people. If the majority of the people are conservative and aren't complaining about the laws then that is their prerogative. Also remember that in every traditional society, the elders are respected as being wise (This was true even with native Indians). If the young generation wants to take power from the old, they better think about working for that right since the old generation worked their butts off to build the world that the youth are destroying. If the government has no right in deciding what people wear, then why are these clothes being banned in Europe? Most likely it's because the fashionistas can't profit from Muslim women.
                      The thing is the more laws you make the more laws that are going to be broken. Most clothes aren't banned in Europe you can were what ever you like but what is happening now is that people are being forced to show their faces in public. Muslim women are still allowed to cover their hair and stuff but they have to show their face when they are in public. As long as it stays there I agree with the law but the moment that law crosses the point and starts banning muslim cloths its time for me to speak up against. The thing is you were talking that we have to respect their culture but when are they going to respect European culture? If a woman goes to Iran or SA they have to cover their hair but when Europe does something similair and forces women to show their faces there is drama and politicians are being called facists and racists.

In my opinion the government should stay out of lives and never force us to wear something or force us not to wear something its the same with the bedroom the government doesn't have a right in there.

Comment

Working...
                      X