Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Religion and Atheism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Religion and Atheism

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
    Religion has played this game all along. When confronted by proof which contradicts its teaching it simply makes up a new fairytale. First they said the world is 4,000 years old-when we discovered dinasaurs and carbon dating it said yeh sure the world is older then 4,000 years but to god one year is many of our human years so...
    A year is something we have defined relative to our own solar system. Universally though, is time constant?
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
      The laws are derived from Judeo-Christian principles... both economic and moral laws. The parallels between American and ancient Greek philosophy are pretty apparent as well. I guess I'd be interested to see what a society based on atheist laws would look like. I believe Albania adopted state atheism at one point after WWII... I take it things didn't turn out too well.
      A state built on Communism, not Atheism. It's like equating a secular society in which religion exists, with a theocracy; theocracy (which has a state religion and can deny other religions their freedom) and communism (which denies religious freedom) both being extremes. Secularism is better because it neither denies religious freedom (to an extent) nor does it force a state religion on people who do not agree with it or follow another faith. Secularism is the compromise between between state atheism (in the communist sense) and theocracy.
      Last edited by hipeter924; 03-17-2010, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Religion has played this game all along. When confronted by proof which contradicts its teaching it simply makes up a new fairytale. First they said the world is 4,000 years old-when we discovered dinasaurs and carbon dating it said yeh sure the world is older then 4,000 years but to god one year is many of our human years so...-they stated the world is flat but when proven wrong they said yeh sure its round but still it was made by god so um yeh we are mostly right anyways- they said the world was the center of the universe but when confronted by the evidence to the contrary they killed the man who provided the evidence. Those who started a religion would not recognize it today as their own because religion like everything else changes over time despite claiming all along that it does not. Any shmuck can say o things are the way they are because god wants them to be that way and there really is no argument against this because this statement cannot be proven or disproven. I give this shmuck the benefit of a dought thus i am agnostic not athiest, but i will trust my common sence and rational before i trust some dude in a dress wearing heavy xxxlery, a big beard and carrying a big stick.... If you have common sence and are capable of rational thought then chances are you dont need religion but if your lacking in these attributes then perhaps you would be better of doing things that other people tell you to do.
        Yes, all religions are traditions which evolve over time. They can't just stick to the scriptures from Jesus' time in order to explain all the scientific discoveries that the world community has gained since then, nor do they try to (unless they're a radical minority). When you can show, using the scientific method, a contradictory conclusion concerning the age of the planet, the roundness of the earth or the heliocenter-ness of our solar system, then of course the religious people will be forced to adjust to these new "facts" about the universe.

But even after all these scientific developments have occurred, religious people seem to hold onto their metaphysical stands concerning things such as the soul, divinity, afterlife, etc... Once upon a time, metaphysics were also used to explain whether or not the Earth was round, or if it was the center of the universe, but the scientific tradition was able to pull those issues out of the category of metaphysics, and into physical science, because people discovered a means by which those old claims could be tested, using the scientific method.

But these scientists were not able to hijack all the issues/debates under the realm of metaphysics and import them into their arena of science for dissection, and thus, people will continue to cling onto ideas such as human ethics coming from God, and will continue to do so unless science finds a way to convince everyone, using its methodology, that God doesn't exist, or that ethics can be explained by some scientific formula or whatever. Neither has happened, and I think we both know that it will never happen.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
          Yes, all religions are traditions which evolve over time. They can't just stick to the scriptures from Jesus' time in order to explain all the scientific discoveries that the world community has gained since then, nor do they try to (unless they're a radical minority). When you can show, using the scientific method, a contradictory conclusion concerning the age of the planet, the roundness of the earth or the heliocenter-ness of our solar system, then of course the religious people will be forced to adjust to these new "facts" about the universe.

But even after all these scientific developments have occurred, religious people seem to hold onto their metaphysical stands concerning things such as the soul, divinity, afterlife, etc... Once upon a time, metaphysics were also used to explain whether or not the Earth was round, or if it was the center of the universe, but the scientific tradition was able to pull those issues out of the category of metaphysics, and into physical science, because people discovered a means by which those old claims could be tested, using the scientific method.

But these scientists were not able to hijack all the issues/debates under the realm of metaphysics and import them into their arena of science for dissection, and thus, people will continue to cling onto ideas such as human ethics coming from God, and will continue to do so unless science finds a way to convince everyone, using its methodology, that God doesn't exist, or that ethics can be explained by some scientific formula or whatever. Neither has happened, and I think we both know that it will never happen.
          Well i agree that proving the nonexistance of god would be hard if not impossible (depending on the god) but i have to disagree about the ethics part. Ethics can indeed be explained and it has been explained. Sociology and psychology have given us explanations on both the personal and social level about what ethics are-where they come from-etc.. Religion is the obsolete version of the scientific method which these days does way more harm then good. The fact that many people still like to be religious does not mean that religion is better at explaining anything better than science, it just means there are many uninformed and/or irrational people out there and this is nothing new.
          Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Haykakan:

How do sociology and psychology explain ethics or morality? This is a question, not a challenge.

You say religion does more harm, but do you realize that it was religious people who were behind the anti slavery movement or that it was religious arabs and Christian missionaries that saved many Armenians during and after the AG? We can go on and on about the positive things that people of faith do, and we can also list the negatives, but the teachings of all major religions, except judaism, are for the betterment of all mankind. Just because some have mis used it does not mean that the religion itself is bad. It's like how some want to take guns away from all Americans because some idiots who have them, most without a permit, commit crimes. As you can see the logic of those wanting to take everyone's guns away is poor.
            Last edited by Armanen; 03-18-2010, 03:26 PM.
            For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
            to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
              Haykakan:

How do sociology and psychology explain ethics or morality? This is a question, not a challenge.

You say religion does more harm, but do you realize that it was religious people who were behind the anti slavery movement or that it was religious arabs and Christian missionaries that saved many Armenians during and after the AG? We can go on and on about the positive things that people of faith do, and we can also list the negatives, but the teachings of all major religions, except judaism, are for the betterment of all mankind. Just because some have mis used it does not mean that the religion itself is bad. It's like how some want to take guns away from all Americans because some idiots who have them, most without a permit, commit crimes. As you can see the logic of those wanting to take everyone's guns away is poor.
              Actually that logic is not so poor at all. China did exactly that and look at what happened to their population. I myself like guns and own a few nice ones but that logic of taking away everyones guns will actually bring down homicide rates- there is no question that it will. Whether it is the right thing to do or not is another issue. I have no argument against the fact that there are good people who are religious and that many people have indeed benefited from various things provided by religious teachings and institutions. Unfortunately all the good work that has been done in the name of religion pales in comparson to the evile that was done under the same name. From the spanish inquisition to our own genocide and everything before durinmg and after that period attests to the carnage inflicted on humanity in the name of religiion. The divisions and hatred that religion creates among people does far more harm to humanity then if you had taken all of its benefits and multiplied them by a 1,000. The teachings of some religions may indeed be for the betterment of mankind but that is not how these religions end up being used, they always end up doing exactly the opposit no matter how well intentioned they were to start with. As for how science can explain your first question i suggest you use google and look for scientific reasearch papers/articles in those fields i mentioned in relation to ethics, morality... I think you will find plenty of interesting stuff in there to keep you occupied for months. Reading sociology and psichology reasearch is actually very interesting and i recomend it to anyone. Much of the results may draw the reaction of "bah of course thats how it is, everybody knows that" but its not that simple. For example which of the following statements is true? "birds of a feather flock togather" or "opposits attract"? Plenty of people will proclaim one or the other to be the fact of life but it is not until you do scientific research that you get the right answer. Once you read what the results of the study state then you become the victim of hindsight and proclaim you knew this all along when that simply was not the case. Human nature is a funny thing and it is quite interesting to study it.
              Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Actually that logic is not so poor at all. China did exactly that and look at what happened to their population. I myself like guns and own a few nice ones but that logic of taking away everyones guns will actually bring down homicide rates- there is no question that it will. Whether it is the right thing to do or not is another issue. I have no argument against the fact that there are good people who are religious and that many people have indeed benefited from various things provided by religious teachings and institutions. Unfortunately all the good work that has been done in the name of religion pales in comparson to the evile that was done under the same name. From the spanish inquisition to our own genocide and everything before durinmg and after that period attests to the carnage inflicted on humanity in the name of religiion. The divisions and hatred that religion creates among people does far more harm to humanity then if you had taken all of its benefits and multiplied them by a 1,000. The teachings of some religions may indeed be for the betterment of mankind but that is not how these religions end up being used, they always end up doing exactly the opposit no matter how well intentioned they were to start with. As for how science can explain your first question i suggest you use google and look for scientific reasearch papers/articles in those fields i mentioned in relation to ethics, morality... I think you will find plenty of interesting stuff in there to keep you occupied for months. Reading sociology and psichology reasearch is actually very interesting and i recomend it to anyone. Much of the results may draw the reaction of "bah of course thats how it is, everybody knows that" but its not that simple. For example which of the following statements is true? "birds of a feather flock togather" or "opposits attract"? Plenty of people will proclaim one or the other to be the fact of life but it is not until you do scientific research that you get the right answer. Once you read what the results of the study state then you become the victim of hindsight and proclaim you knew this all along when that simply was not the case. Human nature is a funny thing and it is quite interesting to study it.

I will start a new thread on gun control so as to reply to you and not 'hijack' this thread.

I think the key to this issue, whether religion is good or bad won't go anywhere between us because you believe it has done more bad than good, so you treat the so called tools of religion as part of it, whereas I say many of those who did bad things in the name of religion were likely not religious at all or had a very poor understanding of it. Religion can divide, it can also unite, same is true with ethnicity and nationality. If you expect people to become free thinkers overnight because they get rid of religion, then you highly under estimate human nature. People are fickle and sheepish, especially in the western world. So long as their economic needs/wants are taken care of they will do as they are told and continue to be the sheeple.
                The problem isn't religion, it is human nature.

As far as th AG being muslims vs. Christians, that was concocted by the cryto joo leaders of the cup, the real motivation was political, i.e. pan turanism. This just goes to show how easy it is to manipulate people.
                Last edited by Armanen; 03-18-2010, 05:47 PM.
                For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
                to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

"This just goes to show how easy it is to manipulate people. "
                  That is my point. Religion is the most effective tool for such manipulation. It really does not matter what this tool(religion) was designed for. What matters is how this tool is used.
                  Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

That is my point. Religion is the most effective tool for such manipulation. It really does not matter what this tool(religion) was designed for. What matters is how this tool is used.
                    And it is used as everything for personal interests, as an example, some years ago in the county I live there were presidential elections, and one of the left-winged candidate had an amazing support by people...the right-winged candidates (which control everything) used the "church" (in " because that is no church) to spread propaganda by telling people the "Armageddon" we would face if such candidate won, and we saw quickly how the candidate with the highest support got down to the lower level on polls and did't even got to the top 10 rank. The church and the mockery of people's faith by all these "religious leaders" is an incredible economic tool and serves for manipulation in every religion all over the world, which is sickening...there's a saying which goes "The church/mosque/synagogue is such a good business there's a branch in every town"...

Religions are not bad, religions were meant to unify people and to make them one, to make their lives better by teaching them unity, tolerance, solidarity, respect and love...religions are good. But what is not only bad but terrible is the people, people who for the sake of their interests or their personal opinions changed by will the religious texts, by tainting them with messages of hate, prejudice, fear, etc. favoring them or their ideas, people who used the faith of the followers in order to gain benefits from them, people who through religion have fooled the masses by playing with their feelings. As you mentioned during the spanish conquests..there's no better example of how religion can be lowered to such a level that it is used as a tool of oppression better than the guns.
                    Last edited by ashot24; 03-18-2010, 09:25 PM.

Comment

I would say TV and the media is the most effective tool to manipulate people. People make fun of mennonites and the amish but they aren't affected by the world wide economy, nor do they care what TV or the media has to say.
                      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Working...
                      X